Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    That's already happening here in Texas. Heard this on the news not long ago. I believe this is a small town North of Dallas, TX.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26531[/ATTACH]

http://www.kxii.com/content/news/Flo...474343983.html
    Wow, that's terrifying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      The spotlight put on these incidents by the media not only magnifies their significance in the public consciousness, but also inspires more of these disturbed and evil individuals to do the same. They want fame.
      Agreed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Wow, that's terrifying.
        Sorry, but I disagree. I think overall the parents feel their kids are safer with TRAINED, responsible staff armed for such an emergency. No gun zones are just free killing fields...there's are reason their called a soft target. Many communities in Texas have hired SRO's or offduty policemen to patrol the hallways. I'm friends with one. He's ex-military, and 20+ year veteran of the force. Rock solid guy...and he loves the kids and would die to protect them.
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• I wonder if a lot of disagreement on this issue comes down to rural vs. more urban or even suburban living.

Comment

• Texas Tech, Trinity Christian, and Lisd all have armed police and security gaurds.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWall View Post
              Texas Tech, Trinity Christian, and Lisd all have armed police and security gaurds.
              But are the staff armed there too?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                But are the staff armed there too?
                No. At least not at lisd or trinity christian. I dont know about Tech.
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                  Sorry, but I disagree. I think overall the parents feel their kids are safer with TRAINED, responsible staff armed for such an emergency. No gun zones are just free killing fields...there's are reason their called a soft target. Many communities in Texas have hired SRO's or offduty policemen to patrol the hallways. I'm friends with one. He's ex-military, and 20+ year veteran of the force. Rock solid guy...and he loves the kids and would die to protect them.
                  One of my church members is a SRO - and loves it. He gets to spend a lot of his time being a spiritual counselor (unofficially) and getting to know the kids. One of the huge benefits of that is that he has cultivated relationships where kids feel safe "telling him things". Oh, and he coaches basketball.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• From the students of the Florida massacre...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ate/347992002/
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Say the first thing that comes into your head when I say .....
                      School
                      Americans: soft target.

Sad!
                      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        Say the first thing that comes into your head when I say .....
                        School

Sad!
                        Wanna try that with....
                        Say the first thing that comes into your head when I say ....
                        firstfloor?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Eventually...inevitably...Americans will tire of the claim that the epidemic level of gun deaths in the U.S. has nothing to do with guns. Perhaps that tide is already turning. Perhaps it will take another few hundred thousand deaths. But eventually, we will become fed up with seeing our children, spouses, and other loved ones gunned down at the rate of over 100 per day....
                          Last edited by carpedm9587; 02-17-2018, 03:48 PM.
                          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                            Eventually...inevitably...Americans will tire of the claim that the epidemic level of gun deaths in the U.S. has nothing to do with guns.
                            I have made no such claim.

Perhaps that tide is already turning. Perhaps it will take another few hundred thousand deaths. But eventually, we will become fed up with seeing our children, spouses, and other loved ones gunned down at the rate of over 100 per day....
                            So, again, what's your reasonable solution?

Comment

• Originally posted by brain doesn't go past the firstfloor View Post
                              Say the first thing that comes into your head when I say .....
                              School

Sad!
                              In this context, yes; but in general, no.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                Eventually...inevitably...Americans will tire of the claim that the epidemic level of gun deaths in the U.S. has nothing to do with guns. Perhaps that tide is already turning. Perhaps it will take another few hundred thousand deaths. But eventually, we will become fed up with seeing our children, spouses, and other loved ones gunned down at the rate of over 100 per day....
                                A better armed public is a viable solution.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment