Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    I was able to define an insidious type of deception game progressives play and you were nice enough to provide me with an example.
    What's on your goal sheet for tomorrow then?
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

The FBI Was Warned About A School Shooting Threat From A YouTube User Named Nikolas Cruz In September

In September, a YouTube user named Nikolas Cruz left a comment on a video stating, "I'm going to be a professional school shooter." The video's creator alerted both the FBI and YouTube.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Total confiscation - that reasonable to the left...
        In order to have effective gun control, there can't be guns out in the free. The confiscation would be conducted in set of progressively tighter waves. The first one would be a voluntary submit-the-weapon-no-question-asked policy. The later the laws would be tightened so possession of a weapon in working condition would be a federal crime.

For that reason, and because of the particular culture regarding weapons in the US, as well as the nature of the US government, I think implementing something like this would be doomed to fail. Most Americans don't want it, and it would require the US government to be committed to this project through more than one presidency.

It wouldn't be total confiscation though. There are rifles that can only be loaded with one bullet at a time. The kind we use for hunting in Denmark. They could be possessed by individuals, and stored unloaded at the hunting area, properly locked away. In Denmark the law demands that the rifles only be loaded immediately prior to firing.

However, as there's probably something nearing a billion firearms in the US, many of which aren't registered, and a host of loopholes and grandfathering rules, and a populace that's highly distrusting of their own government, something like this is unlikely to wind support and if it won support I doubt it would be effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Like... why do we keep refusing to work the actual problem, and instead, simply use these crisis situations as an excuse to promote our agenda?
          I'll bite. What is the actual problem here? Incompetent law enforcement? unfunded mandates?

fwiw,
          guacamole
          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
          Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            I think we should make the deterrent more shameful; the threat of prison is no longer sufficient. How about, for example, every so often, relatives of those injured or killed in attacks get a chance to urinate on the perpetrator?
            "-..cruel or unusual punishment..."

At any rate I don't think ramping up the deterrent would change anything in regards to frequency.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
              That's a control control law only in the most stretched-to-bursting sense of the term.

He should have had his guns taken and his access to guns revoked. No doubt. However, if the guns were a touch harder to get, if there were fewer guns of class he used in circulation, he might have found it harder to commit a killing on this scale.
              That genie is out of the bottle guac. Even if they made all guns completely illegal right this minute there would be no way to stop people from getting a gun if they wanted one. There are too many out there. This is just another one of those "we gotta do something" claims that won't do a damn thing other than take guns away from law-abiding citizens.

Gun laws only work on law-abiding sane citizens because it is sooooooooooooooo easy to get a gun. Even if a person with profound and dangerous mental illness can't get a gun legally in his state, that person can often simply hop into a car and drive elsewhere and get a gun where the laws are more lax
              . And no gun law will change that. It just makes it even harder for law abiding citizens to get them.

Comment

I think we should make the deterrent more shameful; the threat of prison is no longer sufficient. How about, for example, every so often, relatives of those injured or killed in attacks get a chance to urinate on the perpetrator?
                Except in the majority of these shootings the perpetrator dies at the scene. Not sure how good his chances will be in prison either. Shooting kids is not going to be a good strategy for living long in the prison system.

Comment

I'll bite. What is the actual problem here? Incompetent law enforcement? unfunded mandates?

fwiw,
                  guacamole
                  The signs were all there that this guy was a crazy, and had actually dropped multiple hints that he would do something like this - that should have been the focus.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Perhaps because those attempting to address the problem are looking in the wrong direction. Guns are not the cause of school shootings; they are mere accessories.
                    They're implements. We had a school shooting in Denmark. Its a school shooting that often makes me think about the utility of gun control laws for lowering the rate of such crimes. The guns are needed in order to have a high kill rate. Nobody goes to a school, wanting to take them on, using a bow and arrow, or a knife.

He didn't have an semi-automatic weapon. He had a hunting rifled, sawn-over, and used it to kill to female students, before he locked himself in the bathroom and committed suicide.

I imagine he could have killed a lot more if he had a machine gun.

Comment

The US does have some gun control doesn't it? I mean citizens can't possess stinger missiles or flamethrowers, right? Or have I got that wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        The US does have some gun control doesn't it? I mean citizens can't possess stinger missiles or flamethrowers, right? Or have I got that wrong?
                        Or fully automatic weapons, with very rare exceptions and additional expense / requirements.

Comment

I'll bite. What is the actual problem here? Incompetent law enforcement?
                          From the article I cited earlier...

Last fall, a Mississippi bail bondsman and frequent YouTube vlogger noticed an alarming comment left on one of his videos. "I'm going to be a professional school shooter," said a user named Nikolas Cruz.

The YouTuber, 36-year-old Ben Bennight, alerted the FBI, emailing a screenshot of the comment and calling the bureau's Mississippi field office. He also flagged the comment to YouTube, which removed it from the video.

Agents with the bureau's Mississippi field office got back to him "immediately," Bennight said, and conducted an in-person interview the following day, on Sept. 25.

"They came to my office the next morning and asked me if I knew anything about the person," Bennight told BuzzFeed News. "I didn't. They took a copy of the screenshot and that was the last I heard from them."

FBI agents contacted Bennight again Wednesday, after a 19-year-old named Nikolas Cruz allegedly opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in South Florida, killing at least 17 people.

Last fall, this guy was already on the radar.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            They KNEW this kid was a potential threat.
                            I'm deeply sympathetic to the view that solutions to school shootings come from asking why some kids decide to go on a killing spree. What's changed that's caused this to happen more. Can we detect them before they go off the wall?

I'm still undecided in these matters though. It can definitely be argued that solving it solely by control is like solving car deaths by removing cars. One can't say it wouldn't work, but the way its usually spelled out isn't a realistic solution.

Comment

They're implements. We had a school shooting in Denmark. Its a school shooting that often makes me think about the utility of gun control laws for lowering the rate of such crimes. The guns are needed in order to have a high kill rate. Nobody goes to a school, wanting to take them on, using a bow and arrow, or a knife.

He didn't have an semi-automatic weapon. He had a hunting rifled, sawn-over, and used it to kill to female students, before he locked himself in the bathroom and committed suicide.

I imagine he could have killed a lot more if he had a machine gun.
                              gun control worked great for the swedes
                              750px-Anders_Behring_Breivik_Swim_School.jpg

or the french

*image contains too much blood for me to be able to post it without some mod yelling at me*

amazing how they were still able to get their hands on guns.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Well Flamethrowers up to 10 ft are legal. Elon Musk sold out of his flamethrowers. Stinger missiles I doubt. But you can buy a tank!

Comment