Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Every once in a while? I hear that from my wife all the time. My delivery is so deadpan and my sense of humor so dry that my wife takes me seriously far more often than she should. I get it from my dad. Even after 50-years of marriage, my mom still can't always tell when my dad is joking. It's hilarious.
    Yeah, every once in a while. She's got me pegged most of the time, anymore.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      I have to admit...after I posted that...I wondered if I had taken my humor too far.

My wife tells me I have a rendency to self-distruct in social situations...

(P.S. you seem to have emoji's down. What's the one with the character rubbing their chin and thinking?)
      Trust me, sir. If you go back a couple of pages, you'll see a prime example of my bring preterbed. You'll know without a doubt if you offend me.

I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Yes And not only liberals - us moderates too. Indeed, 64% of Americans, including 83% of Democrats, 58% of Independents, and 49% of Republicans want better/more gun control, as of 2017. As those numbers continue to increase, eventually, the stranglehold the NRA and the gunb lobby have on our politicians will be overwhelmed.

And it cannot happen soon enough for me.

You're welcome...
        so you think that looking at the actual cause of the problem and how they missed preventing it is "Monday morning quarterbacking" but just going nuts and wanting to ban all guns is a proper response?

Okay.

Comment

If one is far enough right - everyone else looks "left." If someone is far enough left, everyone else looks "right."
          I am right. That makes everyone else wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWall View Post
            Any pocket knife could theoretically be used for self defense. Though I would prefer a 3 or 4 inch knife for that. I collect and use knives for everyday tasks.
            And you are a teenager! That means in New Zealand you would be considered a threat as a potential mass murderer!!!!

Comment

Yeah - I saw that. Sad actually, but not a surprise. When we have a major trauma like this one, there is usually (at least for a time) a significant response. I feel for the people at that school.
              Why sad? It seems like an appropriate response and good solution. It protects the children without punishing the general populous (taking away their guns).

I would think that pistols would be more than sufficient to carry though.

Comment

• Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                Trust me, sir. If you go back a couple of pages, you'll see a prime example of my bring preterbed. You'll know without a doubt if you offend me.

I will endeavor not to provoke such preterbation, mi'lady!
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I am right. That makes everyone else wrong.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

so you think that looking at the actual cause of the problem and how they missed preventing it is "Monday morning quarterbacking" but just going nuts and wanting to ban all guns is a proper response?

Okay.
                    No. I think looking at ALL of the factors that led to the outcome is wise - and helpful in prehaps preventing future outcomes. That includes how the child got to be so twisted/angry, if there were any clear warning signs that would have been a clear indicator of a problem (i.e., like we had an angry, acting out, teenager in possession of an assualt rifle?), and how he got his hands on the weapon he used. If the goal is, "what can we learn and what can we do better," I'm all for it. It's called a post-incident-debrief.

I just have no patience for the blaming/shaming spirit of most of the monday morning quarterbacking. I also have no patience for "we can look at everything - but don't talk about the gun."

Comment

Why sad? It seems like an appropriate response and good solution. It protects the children without punishing the general populous (taking away their guns).

I think it is sad that we have a need for such things.

And I have to admit that I find the tedious, mantra of "don't take our guns!" ridiculous. If you say "we need to tighten up background checks" the response is "don't take our guns!" If we say, "maybe we should look at restricting access to assault rifles, it's "don't take our guns." If we say "we could use a national database of firearms to help track who owns what and how many," the response is "don't take our guns!" If we say, "maybe we should have a law that makes the gun owner responsible for what happens with their gun on an equal footing with the gun user," the response is "don't take our guns!" If we suggest, "perhaps we should dedicate some funding to researching gun violence so we can put together data that might actually point to possible solutions that would reduce the carnage," the response is "don't take our guns!"

Most of the time, the response doesn't even make sense, because what is being proposed has nothing to do with taking anyone's gun. But it's an effective mantra. The right and the "gun lovers" of our fair country have a simple message: "don't take our guns!" Backed by the money of the NRA/industry/lobby, it has been an effective tool to keep politicians in their place and preserve the status quo. Those of us who advocate for finding solutions and simple common sense practices (like, "if you're going to do background checks, perhaps it should be done across the board, and not just for 78% of the gun acquisitions?") have a tougher story, which makes it more complex, which historically has caved in front of "don't take our guns!"

But the tide is slowly turning. Each massacre moves the ship a bit. Each community impacted by the violence is shifting the tide. We're up to 64% of Americans. Before too long (I hope) the minority will lose power over this issue and something(s) will finally be done. As I see it, it's largely inevitable. The argument, "to stop gun violence, we need more guns" is so patently ridiculous, sooner or later, people will see it for what it is. It is unfortunate that it requires the death of so many to shift the tide
                      Last edited by carpedm9587; 02-22-2018, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking the rifles are for the "look, we're serious" factor, accuracy, and shot count.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I'm thinking the rifles are for the "look, we're serious" factor, accuracy, and shot count.
                          might scare the students more than necessary though. Pistols would seem better for walking around the halls than carrying rifles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Come on, MM, the boy is only a child!
                            Wait. Has JimL finally weighed in on what constitutes a boy?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah - I saw that. Sad actually, but not a surprise. When we have a major trauma like this one, there is usually (at least for a time) a significant response. I feel for the people at that school.
                              We've had since 1999 when Columbine happened to do something. The Democrats, who the MSM repeatedly tells us, are the only ones who care about it, had complete and utter control of Congress as well as the presidency from 2009 to 2011 but never brought up anything whatsoever to deal with it[1]. What is terrifying the left right now is there is someone in office who actually appears willing to do something aside from passing a law that they have absolutely no intention of enforcing.

1. And as Obamacare made crystal clear, the Republicans were in no position during that time to do anything to stop them

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                                If racist people tend to be right more often than left (not true, depends who they're racist against) then it's not prejudice to claim racism has something to do with being politically conservative.
                                Several years ago there were a couple studies which revealed that blacks (who consistently vote left as a block) are considerably more racist than whites. Then for some reason they stopped doing studies like that.

Comment