Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How one school deals with this...

claudeisdarmedandready-1280x720.jpg

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/0...event-shooting
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      50 years ago I worked for the Post Office during Christmas rush in San Francisco. My first day on the job as a mail sorter, I and other temporary workers, were taken aside by regular employees and told exactly how to get away with doing the least amount of work. Not all the PO employees were like this but most were. Later I ended up in the APO and the very first day I was introduced to the job, I observed one man hauling a large hand truck of mail up and down the aisle stopping to visit along the way. He looked busy but did nothing. I drove a parcel delivery truck for about 3 weeks. My orientation included the best way to load a truck so that you would finish early and have time for a second trip which would end up giving you overtime. This was my introduction to government employment.

I do not trust any information that comes from, or is funded by, the government.
      That's fairly typical behavior for a lot of unions I've had interactions with.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        That's fairly typical behavior for a lot of unions I've had interactions with.
        Yup - I was UAW 425 way back when - they actually had a "required attendance" class for union members (you couldn't work for Ford without joining the union) where they taught you what all you could get away with without getting fired. It was a real eye-opener.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Yup - I was UAW 425 way back when - they actually had a "required attendance" class for union members (you couldn't work for Ford without joining the union) where they taught you what all you could get away with without getting fired. It was a real eye-opener.
          I've worked with crews that get 1-hour for lunch, but union rules stipulate that you have to cut them 15-minutes early to wash-up and get their lunch from their lockers so they have 1-hour of actually sitting down at the table to eat. Then they get another 15-minutes on the back-end to put their stuff away, so while the contract says "1-hour break for meals", they really get an hour and a half. Then there's always the classic "send a four-man crew to do a two-man job".

Comment

I've worked with crews that get 1-hour for lunch, but union rules stipulate that you have to cut them 15-minutes early to wash-up and get their lunch from their lockers so they have 1-hour of actually sitting down at the table to eat. Then they get another 15-minutes on the back-end to put their stuff away, so while the contract says "1-hour break for meals", they really get an hour and a half. Then there's always the classic "send a four-man crew to do a two-man job".
            At one point, I operated a spot-welder on an assembly line. The welder was water-cooled. If it jammed, I was not allowed to clear the jam, or I would be "written up" - so I had to call the foreman, who had to call an electrician who had to call a pipe-fitter who had to call.... I would have 5 or 6 "tag out lock out" locks on my work station's control cabinet while these "skilled tradesmen" figured out whose problem it was, which might take a "consult", during which time the entire assembly line was shut down. It was a real joke.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

At one point, I operated a spot-welder on an assembly line. The welder was water-cooled. If it jammed, I was not allowed to clear the jam, or I would be "written up" - so I had to call the foreman, who had to call an electrician who had to call a pipe-fitter who had to call.... I would have 5 or 6 "tag out lock out" locks on my work station's control cabinet while these "skilled tradesmen" figured out whose problem it was, which might take a "consult", during which time the entire assembly line was shut down. It was a real joke.
              That.

I worked at a place where if you dropped some trash on the floor you were not allowed to pick it up. That was the janitor's job. And you didn't want to do anything that could endanger it like doing his job for him.

And then years ago a friend and I went to do a job in a the basement of the father of a mutual friend of ours. The father was an old union man and insisted we work as if we were fellow union employees. That meant a 10 minute or so break every hour and a paid lunch (he took us to Waffle House -- IIRC -- while we were still on the clock). What would have been a 4 hour job turned into a full day. And no, he didn't deduct any dues.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I was once working out of town at a TV station in Atlanta and had to feed a video to my home station in Virginia. The reporter and I walked into the satellite room where we saw a guy literally kicked back with his feet on the counter.

"Do you know how uplink to the satellite?"
                "Yes."
                "Can you?"
                "No. I'm not allowed to touch anything on that side of the equipment rack. You'll have to wait for Dave to get back from his lunch break."

Then he literally sat there with his feet on the counter and chatted with us until Dave got back 30-minutes later to uplink our video. Very frustrating.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  What would have been a 4 hour job turned into a full day.
                  As they say, if you give a union guy 8-hours to do a job, it will take exactly 8-hours.

Comment

• I was thinking about leaving my union until events the last week or so, when management has decided to blatantly ignore the contract and require us to take all our mail to the street with us to "save time", even though it costs time and is unsafe if you're having to thumb through mail to deliver it to boxes on a major street. Our contract says that we have the right to case our mail unless we cannot deliver it in our stipulated time (and I usually do it at least an hour or two faster than I'm given). I plan on staying and fighting back. Apparently some idiot higher up decided that it was more important to limit time in the office in the morning than to limit overall working hours.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Unions do have their benefits, but for the most part, they seem to be about getting workers the most pay for the least amount of work while the union chiefs fill their pockets with the dues.

Comment

• People are pullibg the Jack Thompson routine blaming doom again.

I am tempted to use both Willy Wonka and Heathers to respond to that.
                        sigpic

Comment

Unions do have their benefits, but for the most part, they seem to be about getting workers the most pay for the least amount of work while the union chiefs fill their pockets with the dues.
                          As opposed to the bosses getting the most work for the least pay from the workers while filling their pockets with the profits and exorbitant bonuses.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            As opposed to the bosses getting the most work for the least pay from the workers while filling their pockets with the profits and exorbitant bonuses.
                            Only one uses state coercion to do it (they have to because their work genuinely isn't worth as much).
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                              Let me guess, one of your most frequently repeated phrases is "Would you like fries with that?"

I happen to work a high-skill job, my boss appreciates my work, and I'm well compensated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                If you ever managed to actually start a business where you could actually hire employees, you'd learn pretty quickly* that 'labor' is one of the few controllable expenses, and competition is tough.

*I take that back, I don't think you're a quick study.

Comment