Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    No, I wasn't. "putting guns in the hands of the staff" is not the same as allowing those who qualify and are highly trained to have access to firearms.

A very general statement as opposed to a very narrow one. I have REPEATEDLY made the case that it's not an "everybody gets a gun" type situation.
    I don't follow. It sounds the same to me. Nothing in the phrase "putting guns in the hands of staff" implies that everyone gets a gun.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      That sounds like a lot of work ... :lazy:
      could just use http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...milies-for-now
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

We homeschooled, then the local school district had me arrested and wanted to try me for violation of the "public attendance" law - which doesn't exist in Texas.
        Crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          Why doesn't the smiley button work on the forum anymore, but it works in the chat? It's not a simple copy/paste?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            I don't follow. It sounds the same to me. Nothing in the phrase "putting guns in the hands of staff" implies that everyone gets a gun.
            It's just a goofy statement worded in such a way as to make it sound like a dumb idea to arm certain individuals, when anybody who considers such a thing is far more cautious about it than just "putting guns in the hands of staff".

"Staff" is a very general term - not every "staff member" would be considered, or qualify.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You were.
              Link, please. The only advocating I have seen is for a few specially trained staff members to be armed. Is this poor memory, poor reading skills or something worse?
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

It's just a goofy statement worded in such a way as to make it sound like a dumb idea to arm certain individuals, when anybody who considers such a thing is far more cautious about it than just "putting guns in the hands of staff".
                I think its a relatively accurate phrase for what you yourself have suggested.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                "Staff" is a very general term - not every "staff member" would be considered, or qualify.
                I don't see anything in the phrase that suggests that unqualified staff would be/should be armed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  Link, please.
                  http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post518782

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post518794

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post518807

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  The only advocating I have seen is for a few specially trained staff members to be armed. Is this poor memory, poor reading skills or something worse?
                  No, your memory is correct in that regard. Advocating that "specially trained staff members" are armed is still "putting guns in the hands of the staff".

Comment

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post518782

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post518794

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post518807

No, your memory is correct in that regard. Advocating that "specially trained staff members" are armed is still "putting guns in the hands of the staff".
                    so in other words you don't want anyone being trained and vetted to use the best tool possible to protect our students if they happen to be employed by the school.
                    Last edited by RumTumTugger; 02-22-2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• Let's put the actual quote, and the context....
                      I like the idea of concealed carry - so you don't know WHICH teachers are armed.
                      That was in response to somebody proposing open carry, and you'll note that I say WHICH teachers - indicating not all.

I might suggest changing that to "School Staff is Armed and Trained to Respond to Threats With Deadly Force" - and make sure the "trained" part is actually true.
                      Again --- "making sure the "trained" part is actually true" --- not just "putting guns in the hands of staff"

And, yet again....
                      In my case, it would only be those teachers who wanted to, were qualified, and trained.... like the coach who was also "security" whose only 'weapon' was his body.
                      ONLY those teachers ... not just "putting guns in the hands of staff".

I was VERY restrictive, not the goofy GENERAL statement "putting guns in the hands of staff". I'm surprised a man of you caliber would even think these are equivalent.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                        so in other words you don't want anyone being trained and vetted to use the best tool possible to protect our students if they happen to be employed by the school.
                        I'm not sure how you got that out of the post you're replying to, can you explain?

Comment

Let's put the actual quote, and the context....

That was in response to somebody proposing open carry, and you'll note that I say WHICH teachers - indicating not all.

Again --- "making sure the "trained" part is actually true" --- not just "putting guns in the hands of staff"

And, yet again....

ONLY those teachers ... not just "putting guns in the hands of staff".

I was VERY restrictive, not the goofy GENERAL statement "putting guns in the hands of staff". I'm surprised a man of you caliber would even think these are equivalent.
                          I don't understand this post. Who said that you weren't being restrictive? That was never spoken nor implied by anyone here. Whether staff is trained or not is irrelevant to the phrase "putting guns in the hands of staff". That phrase, by itself, says nothing one way or the other about who does or who does not get guns. It's not saying that all staff should be armed, nor does it say all staff should not be armed. It's completely neutral to the subject.

Comment

Why doesn't the smiley button work on the forum anymore, but it works in the chat? It's not a simple copy/paste?
                            I believe it had something to do with a feature Raphael had to disable to keep hackers from messing with the site. some vulnerability in vbulletin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              I believe it had something to do with a feature Raphael had to disable to keep hackers from messing with the site. some vulnerability in vbulletin.
                              Ah, I see.

Comment

Well I think the entire theologyweb staff needs to be armed with ...the Word of God!!

Hallelujah!

Comment