Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    That's a hiring problem. Many off-duty police take side jobs like this, or take jobs like this after they've retired from the force. Many former military personnel are also availabble for hire. Hire a poorly trained rent-a-cop, and you get a poorly-trained rent-a-cop.
    Off duty police are fully commissioned law enforcement personnel. "Security guards" rarely are. And I almost suggested former military, then I thought about the "PTSD" outcry I'd encounter.

I usually speak from my opinion. I have found speaking from other people's opinion merely confuses them. As for "very prejudiced," my experience is that anyone who voices a position about putting in place reasonable gun safeguards in a forum such as this one will automatically be labeled "very prejudiced," and objecting to that label is an exercise in futility. Think what you will..
    I think you're coming at this from a very emotional position, not a practical one. And I can too!

Yes - it's a good solution. It provides a trained person on premises, a link to the local police, adds personnel (and flexibility) to the force, all-in-all a win-win.
    That's probably the best solution, but also probably one of the most expensive. I think we could fund that, though, by getting rid of some of the 'administration' overhead. Problem is - the 'administration' element is calling the shots.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Another day another Starlight fable. What actually causes high lead levels in water is lead pipes or lead solder, not industrial waste from any source. Well, so much for this Starlight fable... I wonder what tomorrow’s made up story will be in his ‘I HATE AMERICAN CHRISTIANS!!!’ quest.
      Thanks for the new signature.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Off duty police are fully commissioned law enforcement personnel. "Security guards" rarely are. And I almost suggested former military, then I thought about the "PTSD" outcry I'd encounter.
        Also a hiring problem.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I think you're coming at this from a very emotional position, not a practical one. And I can too!
        You are free to think whatever you wish, CP. In my experience, anything possible to dismiss what someone who thinks reasonable gun controls are needed is used. Emotional. Prejudiced. Close-minded. They're all essentially ad homs. I try not to waste my time on them. But feel free to keep tossing them out...

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        That's probably the best solution, but also probably one of the most expensive. I think we could fund that, though, by getting rid of some of the 'administration' overhead. Problem is - the 'administration' element is calling the shots.
        I don't know how things work where you are, but the budget for the school system in our state is voted on by the community. And if the funding is for the police-oriented solution, that also comes from the community; the admnistration is not calling any shots.

Meanwhile, we can nationally be taking steps like requiring universal background checks with a funded/adequate infrastructure and implementing a national gun-tracking/ownership database. None of these will restrict law-abiding citizens from having and using guns. All of them are, IMO, "reasonable" approaches.

And we are seeing an increasing dissatisfaction with not only the inaction of Congress and legislatures across the country, but also a growing anger that, as more people are dying, laws are being proposed to actually relax existing restrictions, and require states that have stronger gun control laws on the books to accept the laws of states that have weaker ones, and restoring funding to agencies/organizations that could provide us with research to help us know if any other initiatives would/would not help (e.g., , restricting access to military-style weapons - perhaps limiting them to use as license gun ranges, requiring training and proper storage facilities for guns, etc.). That latter part just amazes me. The universal approach to ensuring your position wins is to silence the opposition. Cutting off funding for research into gun deaths/injuries is just such an example of "fearing the message." This is why dictators and totalitarians quickly take control of the media when they take office - control the message, and you control the outcome.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
          Thanks for the new signature.
          Thanks for admitting you can’t prove the claim you’re so desperate to defend.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

This is why dictators and totalitarians quickly take control of the media when they take office - control the message, and you control the outcome.
            Wow... um..... who's been in charge of the media in the US for the last several decades?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Wow... um..... who's been in charge of the media in the US for the last several decades?
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Are you just playing dumb here?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  Thanks for admitting you can’t prove the claim you’re so desperate to defend.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Our corporate overlords!!!
                    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                    Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Are you just playing dumb here?
                      No. I have no idea who he thinks has been "in charge" of the media for the past several decades. It smells a but like a conspiracy theory, but until CP indicates whom he thinks it is, I am clueless.

Comment

No. I have no idea who he thinks has been "in charge" of the media for the past several decades. It smells a but like a conspiracy theory, but until CP indicates whom he thinks it is, I am clueless.
                        Most of our media leans left. I'm assuming that's what he's referring to. But yeah, I agree with you on the gun control shtuff. I don't know what CP means by the "PTSD" outcry. I've never heard that being an issue, and I know plenty of ex-military members who are security guards, but maybe he has a particular talking point in mind. If I recall, the Florida school had an armed security guard, but obviously he wasn't able to do much good. I'd prefer armed guards to armed teachers, but really, the national obsession with guns needs to be dealt with regardless.

Comment

Well it sure isn't Trump!

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            Most of our media leans left. I'm assuming that's what he's referring to. But yeah, I agree with you on the gun control shtuff. I don't know what CP means by the "PTSD" outcry. I've never heard that being an issue, and I know plenty of ex-military members who are security guards, but maybe he has a particular talking point in mind. If I recall, the Florida school had an armed security guard, but obviously he wasn't able to do much good. I'd prefer armed guards to armed teachers, but really, the national obsession with guns needs to be dealt with regardless.
                            CP - is that what you were saying about the media - that multiple outlets lean left? If so, the fact that there is a left lean to many media outlets means they are being controlled by...?

Or have you just engaged in your own hyperbole?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Well it sure isn't Trump!
                              Trump is not "controlling" the media, except in that they are gullible enough to let him dominate the news cycle. He IS undermining it using the strength of his political office. IMO, that is a dangerous road to go down.

Comment

CP - is that what you were saying about the media - that multiple outlets lean left?
                                Sure, I don't think that's even debatable that the MSM has a left leaning.

If so, the fact that there is a left lean to many media outlets means they are being controlled by...?
                                Yeah, ? It's not a matter of "being controlled by"... they ARE left.

Or have you just engaged in your own hyperbole?
                                No - my exact words were "who's been in charge of the media in the US for the last several decades?"

The LEFT has been in charge of the media for decades.

Comment