Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much my sentiment. I think it's only a matter of time really. I don't desire to see this, but I think eventually a tragedy will come along that will be so catastrophic, or the number of mass shootings will increase so dramatically, and/or leadership will change hands so thoroughly that eventually it'll seem like the only sensible option on the table. there will be lots of weeping and gnashing of teeth, and people will complain for a very long time that the buy back didn't work, but the numbers will eventually reflect it, and life will go on. Or at least, that's my hope.
    If the shooting of an entire kindergarten class didn't do it, I don't see what would.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
      Were the words "Western" and "on this scale" obscured by the Tippex on your monitor?
      last I looked France is an western country.

Comment

• 5-months ago, someone with the shooter's exact same name posted a comment on YouTube saying, "Im going to be a professional school shooter". The owner of the YouTube account reported it to the FBI who later claimed they didn't have enough information to track him down.

Seriously? Go post a comment on YouTube threatening to shoot the President, and see how long it takes the Secret Service to come knocking on your front door. I believe the FBI could have found this kid if they really wanted to, but they apparently didn't take the comment seriously enough.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yeah, that's pretty much my sentiment. I think it's only a matter of time really. I don't desire to see this, but I think eventually a tragedy will come along that will be so catastrophic, or the number of mass shootings will increase so dramatically, and/or leadership will change hands so thoroughly that eventually it'll seem like the only sensible option on the table. there will be lots of weeping and gnashing of teeth, and people will complain for a very long time that the buy back didn't work, but the numbers will eventually reflect it, and life will go on. Or at least, that's my hope.
          It's worth noting that some of the deadliest cities in America are the ones with the strictest gun laws.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            It's worth noting that some of the deadliest cities in America are the ones with the strictest gun laws.
            Yeah, I know. That's brought up every time this debate resurfaces. I don't find that very impressive though, since all it takes is a short drive out of the city in order to buy a gun legally.

Comment

Yeah, I know. That's brought up every time this debate resurfaces. I don't find that very impressive though, since all it takes is a short drive out of the city in order to buy a gun legally.
              So then why aren't the areas where firearms are readily accessible the areas where firearm violence is the highest then?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

But it's not just purchasing that's outlawed - it's the possession of those firearms. Obviously, that doesn't work either.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  So then why aren't the areas where firearms are readily accessible the areas where firearm violence is the highest then?
                  I'm having deja vu. I've had this exact conversation a couple times on this forum. I imagine the reason there isn't more crime in areas outside of cities that ban guns is because those areas tend to be more affluent, and for that reason tend to have less of the criminal element. The argument isn't that buying legal guns tend to make people criminals, it's that those with who would be criminals shouldn't have easy access to buy guns legally.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  But it's not just purchasing that's outlawed - it's the possession of those firearms. Obviously, that doesn't work either.
                  I'm not sure what difference laws on possession would make. If I have intent to kill, I'm sure I can find ways to prevent my possession of a gun from being noticed by law enforcement, or at least, preventing it from being noticed till the last second.

Maybe we should all just skip to the part where we compare guns to ladders, because ladders kill too. That's typically where this conversation eventually goes.

Comment

And nothing will change. Criminals will still get guns and shoot people. Or use some other method to kill people. And law abiding citizens will have no way to protect themselves.

Disarming innocent people doesn't disarm criminals.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                      last I looked France is an western country.
                      And England, and Germany, and Norway. Mass killings can take place anywhere in the world and the criminals will use any means they can. Not just guns.

Comment

Maybe we should all just skip to the part where we compare guns to ladders, because ladders kill too. That's typically where this conversation eventually goes.
                        Well, it's much easier to conceal a gun than a ladder.

Seriously, I just think it's naive to think that making guns illegal - or even banning them completely - will prevent those who purpose to do evil from acquiring them.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Or an even shorter drive within the city to buy one illegally.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            And nothing will change. Criminals will still get guns and shoot people.
                            In the short term maybe, but long term, I don't think so. But I suppose we'll see.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Or use some other method to kill people. And law abiding citizens will have no way to protect themselves.
                            I'd rather face some other generally less lethal method than a gun, personally. Other nation's law abiding citizens seem to do fine without guns, so I don't buy the argument that the sky will fall if we make them illegal in the US.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Disarming innocent people doesn't disarm criminals.
                            I think it will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Well, it's much easier to conceal a gun than a ladder.

Seriously, I just think it's naive to think that making guns illegal - or even banning them completely - will prevent those who purpose to do evil from acquiring them.
                              Paint me naive then.

Comment

Paint me naive then.
                                With a broad brush?

Comment