Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    What common-sense gun control would have prevented this shooting?
    Total confiscation - that reasonable to the left...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

There are numerous common sense limitations that could save lives:

Crazy? No guns.
      Domestic abuse? No guns.
      National database that can be cross checked by law enforcement and mental health.
      Firearm category restrictions.
      Ammo category restrictions.
      No high capacity magazines.
      No bump stocks.
      Private buyer/Private seller? Go through an escrow service so that background checks still happen.
      Background checks at gun shows.
      etc.

I have heard some conservatives oppose nearly all of them at one time or another based on slippery slope or cat's-out-of-the-bag arguments. So we do nothing and nothing changes.

fwiw,
      guacamole
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

Again!
        So how about a mandatory 2 year stay in a locked mental facility when such signs present? The left would go crazy!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          So how about a mandatory 2 year stay in a locked mental facility when such signs present? The left would go crazy!
          Then we could lock THEM up, too!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Why do liberals always blame the gun instead of the perpetrator? They didn't blame the trucks when terrorists ran people over in New York and in France.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Why do liberals always blame the gun instead of the perpetrator? They didn't blame the trucks when terrorists ran people over in New York and in France.
              I don't think this is a dum librulz issue. We all support some dangerous things being taken out of the hands of society at large. For some reason, guns get a pass.
              "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
              Hear my cry, hear my shout,
              Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                For some reason, guns get a pass.
                It called the Constitution...

Comment

I don't think this is a dum librulz issue. We all support some dangerous things being taken out of the hands of society at large. For some reason, guns get a pass.
                  No they don't 'get a pass.' We have more gun laws now than ever before, and we have more shootings than ever before. For instance, guns are illegal on school grounds. Did that stop this guy? No. This guy was clearly nuts and everyone said he has been showing signs for a long time. He was even kicked out of the school. Nobody stepped in and did anything. It had nothing to do with gun laws. It had to do with this guy was crazy and needed intervention yet nobody did a damn thing until he went off and shot people.

Gun laws only work on law-abiding sane citizens. That is what liberals fail to ever learn. No gun law will ever stop a criminal or an insane person from getting or using a gun illegally.

Comment

I believe guns should be taken out of the hands of criminals and crazy people.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I believe guns should be taken out of the hands of criminals and crazy people.
                      They should pass a law that says criminals can't use guns to commit crimes!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        That is what liberals fail to ever learn.
                        No, i'm pretty sure taking guns from law abiding citizens is the actual plan. They don't really care about the shootings themselves except as tools to disarm their enemies so that they are completely at the mercy of the institutions they have gutted and wear as a skin suit.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

There are numerous common sense limitations that could save lives:

Crazy? No guns.
                          Domestic abuse? No guns.
                          National database that can be cross checked by law enforcement and mental health.
                          Firearm category restrictions.
                          Ammo category restrictions.
                          No high capacity magazines.
                          No bump stocks.
                          Private buyer/Private seller? Go through an escrow service so that background checks still happen.
                          Background checks at gun shows.
                          etc.

I have heard some conservatives oppose nearly all of them at one time or another based on slippery slope or cat's-out-of-the-bag arguments. So we do nothing and nothing changes.

fwiw,
                          guacamole
                          Some of those are already on the books and not enforced. When that is brought up you and your fellow liberals just handwave it away. Others are just stupid and a product of liberals not really understanding guns.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

This is curious....

The AR-15 was legally purchased by Cruz, Jim Lewis, an attorney representing the family he was living with, told The Sun Sentinel. "The family made him keep it in a locked gun cabinet in the house but he had a key," Lewis said.

The family (both parents are dead) made him keep the weapon locked up, but he had a key?

Comment

This is curious....

The AR-15 was legally purchased by Cruz, Jim Lewis, an attorney representing the family he was living with, told The Sun Sentinel. "The family made him keep it in a locked gun cabinet in the house but he had a key," Lewis said.

The family (both parents are dead) made him keep the weapon locked up, but he had a key?
                              And from that same article...

Jim Gard, a math teacher who says he had Cruz in his class, told The Miami Herald that the young man had attracted the school's notice, as well.

"We were told last year that he wasn't allowed on campus with a backpack on him," Gard said. "There were problems with him last year threatening students, and I guess he was asked to leave campus."

County school superintendent Robert Runcie, for his part, told a news conference on Wednesday afternoon that new information may come to light, but at the moment, officials believe they had "received no warnings, no indication" that a student had been planning an attack.

"We didn't have any warnings," he said. "There weren't any phone calls or threats that we know of that were made."

He wasn't allowed on campus with a backpack on him.... but they "received no warnings, no indication".

Comment

And from USA Today....

At least one teacher said he had been flagged as a potential threat and that he was a big enough concern that administrators had banned Cruz from campus.

Jim Gard, a math teacher at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, said Cruz had been aggressive towards students in the past.

A former classmate, Jillian Davis, said Cruz had a hot temper and a history of making dark, gun-related jokes.

“Finding out it was him makes a lot of sense now,” Davis said.

They KNEW this kid was a potential threat.

Comment