Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Well, we're talking specifics, so what is it that I said in the above that you find to be ignorant?
    all of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      How bout let's wait for more facts to come out.
      We don't need no stinkin' facts. Let's act from raw emotion. It's how things are done nowadays

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I predict this will be a major twist to the discussion about arming teachers:
        That is exactly how the MSM is playing it.

I guess if we can find an incident where a soldier does something utterly stupid it means that all soldiers ought to be prohibited from caring firearms

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          We don't need no stinkin' facts. Let's act from raw emotion. It's how things are done nowadays
          Right! We should close down all schools and make parents homeschool their kids. That would solve all problems right there!

Heck, with the internet I am surprised it isn't happening anyway. Colleges are starting to go that way already.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Well, we're talking specifics, so what is it that I said in the above that you find to be ignorant?
            Everything after "Well".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Everything after "Well".
              Jiml does this all the time. I just went through the specifics of his claims above, then he wants to know what I find to be ignorant. I could just repeat myself again, but then he would just ask again. Like he did in the thread about God appearing and his dumb claim about God is unjust because he sends you to hell because you don't believe in him. I went in circles there for pages and pages.

It just isn't worth the effort any more.

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                Yeah. Is that a thing on this website now? We have to justify all our gut-feelings and personal inclinations with data? Or is this just a special rule for the "libtards"?
                As far as I know, supporting assertions with facts and evidence has always been a "thing" at TheologyWeb, especially when that assertion appears false on its face.

Stating a personal opinion is fine, but opining about what other people think without being about to back it up with data is worthless.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  As far as I know, supporting assertions with facts and evidence has always been a "thing" at TheologyWeb, especially when that assertion appears false on its face.

Stating a personal opinion is fine, but opining about what other people think without being about to back it up with data is worthless.
                  guac, MM has a point. I'd like to think that most people would be happy without guns, but I don't think that's true today, and I don't think it'll be true for some time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    So you don't know the difference between an assertion of fact and an opinion. Got it.

Good. Are you going to be the opinion policeman on web now?
                    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                    Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      guac, MM has a point. I'd like to think that most people would be happy without guns, but I don't think that's true today, and I don't think it'll be true for some time.
                      Fair enough. However, you've made a statement that has the same value as an assertion as what I said when I prefaced my thoughts with "I think." I clearly explained that what I think comes from my experiences. We all do that.

fwiw,
                      guacamole
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

Fair enough. However, you've made a statement that has the same value as an assertion as what I said when I prefaced my thoughts with "I think." I clearly explained that what I think comes from my experiences. We all do that.

fwiw,
                        guacamole
                        I think the difference is that Adrift's "I think" statements are totally reasonable. I think.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think the difference is that Adrift's "I think" statements are totally reasonable. I think.
                          In what sense are Adrift's rhetorical qualifiers reasonable but mine aren't? We both expressed a statement of our reading of the mood of the population. An "I think" statement is stronger than a simple opinion of preference, but weaker than a naked assertion of fact. I feel like this is common rhetoric1.

1I have no data to back up that feeling, however, other than personal experience teaching rhetoric.
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

In what sense are Adrift's rhetorical qualifiers reasonable but mine aren't? We both expressed a statement of our reading of the mood of the population. An "I think" statement is stronger than a simple opinion of preference, but weaker than a naked assertion of fact. I feel like this is common rhetoric1.

1I have no data to back up that feeling, however, other than personal experience teaching rhetoric.
                            Bless your heart, brother.

Comment

guac also said, I think>
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

So you don't know the difference between an assertion of fact and an opinion. Got it.

Good. Are you going to be the opinion policeman on web now?
                                The phrase "Thou doth protest too much" comes to mind.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment