Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Graffiti Artist awarded $6.7M for destroyed work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graffiti Artist awarded $6.7M for destroyed work

Graffiti Artists Awarded $6. 7 Million for Destroyed 5Pointz Murals

By ALAN FEUER FEB. 12, 2018
    Ruling that graffiti — a typically transient form of art — was of sufficient stature to
    be protected by the law, a federal judge in Brooklyn awarded a judgment of $6.7
    million on Monday to 21 graffiti artists whose works were destroyed in 2013 at the
    5Pointz complex in Long Island City, Queens.
    In November, a landmark trial came to a close in Federal District Court in
    Brooklyn when a civil jury decided that Jerry Wolkoff, a real estate developer who
    owned 5Pointz, broke the law when he whitewashed dozens of swirling murals at the
    complex, obliterating what a lawyer for the artists had called “the world’s largest
    open-air aerosol museum.”
    Though Mr. Wolkoff’s lawyers had argued that the buildings were his to treat as
    he pleased, the jury found he violated the Visual Artists Rights Act, or V.A.R.A.,
    which has been used to protect public art of “recognized stature” created on
    someone’s else property.
    In an odd legal twist, the judge at that trial, Frederic Block, altered the verdict at
    the 11th hour to make it merely a recommendation. But on Monday, Judge Block
    upheld the jury’s decision, and his ruling awarded the artists the maximum damages
    possible, saying that 45 of the dozens of ruined murals had enough artistic stature to
    merit being protected. The jury had found that only 36 of the works should be
    guarded under V.A.R.A.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/12/n...-judgment.html

I think artworks should be protected but when the artwork is put on someone else's property without permission, that is just vandalism. How can they sue the property owner for removing it? It's completely insane.

Comment

This is an insane ruling, but what else would you expect from a liberal hellhole like New York City? I can't see this surviving appeals.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        This is an insane ruling, but what else would you expect from a liberal hellhole like New York City? I can't see this surviving appeals.
        The judge in question, being a political appointee, is not necessarily from the hellhole in question. I agree, it's unlikely to survive appeal.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Someone on facebook told me that the previous owner allowed the graffiti to stay and it became a public landmark, then the new owner decided to remove it.

If that IS the case (I can't find any info on it) then it makes it more complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Someone on facebook told me that the previous owner allowed the graffiti to stay and it became a public landmark, then the new owner decided to remove it.

If that IS the case (I can't find any info on it) then it makes it more complicated.
            Seems to me that unless that agreement was in writing, and the new owner submitted to being bound by the same agreement, then I'm not sure it's of any legal relevance. Of course those of you who work in the legal profession probably have a better understanding.

Comment

It's still private property. Absent a complicating agreement such as an HOA or zoning laws, the property owner can legally do whatever he wants with it.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

OK so it is more complicated...

according to what I found:

https://nypost.com/2013/11/19/5-poin...ght-paint-job/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_Pointz

The owner Wolkoff leased out the building to various artists, many who decorated the building with graffiti. Then in 2013 Wolkoff decided he wanted to tear down the building, so he painted over the graffiti to prevent the artists from getting the building designated a landmark.

Comment

Dude probably could have made a pile of cash with some accessibility improvements and charging admission.
                  "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                  Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                  Save me, save me"

Comment

Its complicated as soon as a building is declared a landmark or historical. The office I'm currently in is a historical building. A remnant of the old warehouses in the city, now remodelled as an office space. This has limitations on what we can do.

I'm sorry to see the grafitti go. Its one of the most interesting art forms when done properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      Its complicated as soon as a building is declared a landmark or historical. The office I'm currently in is a historical building. A remnant of the old warehouses in the city, now remodelled as an office space. This has limitations on what we can do.

I'm sorry to see the grafitti go. Its one of the most interesting art forms when done properly.
                      Yeah. Since the owner leased the property and gave the artists permission to use the building for graffiti, and the graffiti became a famous landmark, it makes it a lot tougher to defend removing it. He still owns the property, but once he leased it to others he gave up a lot of his rights. Depends on the contract he had probably.

Comment

Yeah. Since the owner leased the property and gave the artists permission to use the building for graffiti, and the graffiti became a famous landmark, it makes it a lot tougher to defend removing it. He still owns the property, but once he leased it to others he gave up a lot of his rights. Depends on the contract he had probably.
                        Especially if it was in the process of being officially declared a historical landmark, or anything worth protecting.

Comment

OK so it is more complicated...

according to what I found:

https://nypost.com/2013/11/19/5-poin...ght-paint-job/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_Pointz

The owner Wolkoff leased out the building to various artists, many who decorated the building with graffiti. Then in 2013 Wolkoff decided he wanted to tear down the building, so he painted over the graffiti to prevent the artists from getting the building designated a landmark.
                          I take back what I said earlier. Sounds like the owner was just being a jerk.

Comment

Er, leasing it doesn't necessarily forfeit many of your rights; you're merely letting someone else use your property for a limited length of time.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Er, leasing it doesn't necessarily forfeit many of your rights; you're merely letting someone else use your property for a limited length of time.
                              That's why I said it would depend on the contract. If it were specified in the contract that the art could be removed once the lease was over, for instance, then it would be a simple matter to paint over them. But apparently in this case, the artwork and building became something of a famous landmark. And since the art was done legally, the artists did have a case to try to get the courts to declare it an actual landmark. The owner apparently decided to take matters into his own hand and painted over the artwork instead of waiting for the court to decide.

Comment