Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rstrats View Post
    mossrose,

re: "Put down beans and cross out cake, Let me see, oh dear me. What a task to undertake, Milk plus bread, oh my head! Add, subtract and multiply, Till you're overcome; This is much too hard for me, I can't do the sum!"

What would you do if after your pick of curtain #1, and before any curtain was opened, the host told you that you could switch to BOTH curtains 2 and 3?
    I would forget the beans and buy the chocolate cake!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I would forget the beans and buy the chocolate cake!

Darkly
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Anyone disagree with Cow Poke?

Comment

Anyone disagree with Cow Poke?
          I do. Sparko is correct, switching gives you a higher chance of winning the prize.

Comment

Sparko is always correct.

...despite what Rogue and Cow Poke say about him. And mossrose. And One Bad Pig, and KE7, and Catholicity. ...and all of those other jealous detractors!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Sparko is always correct.

...despite what Rogue and Cow Poke say about him. And mossrose. And One Bad Pig, and KE7, and Catholicity. ...and all of those other jealous detractors!!!!

Comment

I played 8 times. 4 times, he opened the door with the car. The other 4, I randomly selected a door and stayed with it. All 4 were the car.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You are a contestant on a game show. There are three curtains. Behind one of the curtains is a new car. You are asked to choose one of the curtains. Lets say that you choose curtain #1. The host of the show - who knows where the car is so as not to end the game prematurely - opens curtain #3 and of course there is no car behind it. The host now gives you a choice. You can stay with curtain #1 or you can change your choice to curtain #2. The question now is: would it be to your advantage to stay with curtain #1, or would it be to your advantage to change to curtain #2 or would there be no advantage either way?
                  It depends on whether Monty always opens the highest number door available to him or if his selection of the door is random. This is the difference between "Classic Monty" and "High Numbered Monty". In Classic Monty, the odds of switching increase while High Numbered Monty is truly a 50/50 decision and no advantage can be gained by switching.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Bill the Cat,

re: "It depends on whether [the host] always opens the highest number [curtain] available to him or if his selection of the [curtain] is random."

Future games are irrelevant to the one time game set forth in the OP. It states that the host knows where the car is so as not to prematurely end the game. This should make it clear that the host was only going to open a curtain which he knew didn't have the car behind it.

Comment

Bill the Cat,

re: "It depends on whether [the host] always opens the highest number [curtain] available to him or if his selection of the [curtain] is random."

Future games are irrelevant to the one time game set forth in the OP. It states that the host knows where the car is so as not to prematurely end the game. This should make it clear that the host was only going to open a curtain which he knew didn't have the car behind it.
                      Except, of course, to maintain interest in the game ongoing --- eventually (or occasionally), SOMEBODY has to win!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Bill the Cat,

Not necessarily. The host opened the highest number curtain available to him that he knew did not contain the car. It is unclear whether he did that as an act of random choice or not.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Bill the Cat,

re: " It is unclear whether he did that as an act of random choice or not."

What is unclear about " the host knows where the car is so as not to prematurely end the game"? If he opened a curtain at random there would a 1/3rd chance of ending the game before giving the contestant the option of switching.

Comment

I think because the host could have chosen the lowest number instead - the random uncertainty being with regards to why he made that choice. Did it just suit his fancy or was there some logic to it?
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Bill the Cat,

re: " It is unclear whether he did that as an act of random choice or not."

What is unclear about " the host knows where the car is so as not to prematurely end the game"? If he opened a curtain at random there would a 1/3rd chance of ending the game before giving the contestant the option of switching.
                              Not what I mean. The one of the two doors he knows do not contain the car are either chosen randomly, or he chooses the highest number available to him.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                                Not what I mean. The one of the two doors he knows do not contain the car are either chosen randomly, or he chooses the highest number available to him.
                                either way the odds would remain the same for the person choosing. It would be better to switch most of the time because the host will not open a curtain that contains the prize.

Comment