Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Molting Border Collie - just shave it all off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dog-1840127_1920.jpg

Walking carpet.

c6bc9fa64bb3fa71c5acf048f76e78e8--mop-dog-hungarian-dog.jpg

Walking wall to wall carpet
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

That last one is a shag carpet.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I thought it was a mop.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          I thought it was a mop.
          That, too.

But we were discussing carpets, so............

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            If you've ever seen a Newfie you'd understand why I corrected your post.
            Which is why I bought a Shearmaster, a clipper used for sheep. I know some spinners who have used Newfie hair for spinning. I tried talking my wife into spinning so we could recycle the fur. The discussion did not end well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
              Here is Autumn, my 11 year old Red Border Collie. Every spring her shedding goes into overdrive, and she leaves huge tufts of fur wherever she can. It's worse than her normal shedding. On top of that, she has a double coat and her soft underfur gets matted easily. The easiest solution is to just shave it all down to 1/4". Her tail was shaved down to 1". She was unusually cooperative this year and I completed the job in only a little over an hour.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26496[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26497[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26498[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26499[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26500[/ATTACH]
              I use a rotating brush which clamps onto a hand drill, it is excellent for getting out the undercoat, then follow up with some hand attachments for shop vac. Some dogs won't tolerate the vacuum, they know the vacuum is evil. Takes only about ten minutes.

A tack shop or store which sells livestock supplies (or vet supply catalog) will have a better selection for grooming

Comment

I tried grooming my Schnauzer once. It ended horribly. I decided it was easier for me and him to just take him to the groomer every few months and pay $50 to get it done right. I would normally tell them to just leave him with a schnauzer face but cut the rest of his body short. Normally schnauzers have long hair on their legs and chest/belly. But he would always get that fur tangled with leaves and grass from the yard. Easier to just shave him.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                  Which is why I bought a Shearmaster, a clipper used for sheep. I know some spinners who have used Newfie hair for spinning. I tried talking my wife into spinning so we could recycle the fur. The discussion did not end well for me.
                  Try felting it instead. Next time, buy the whorl and try to do it yourself before asking your wife - that way, you know how much work your really asking for (hint A LOT).
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    I tried grooming my Schnauzer once. It ended horribly. I decided it was easier for me and him to just take him to the groomer every few months and pay $50 to get it done right. I would normally tell them to just leave him with a schnauzer face but cut the rest of his body short. Normally schnauzers have long hair on their legs and chest/belly. But he would always get that fur tangled with leaves and grass from the yard. Easier to just shave him.
                    It was 84F yesterday - in February! Personally, I'm liking Global Warming so far - but I'm glad I have short hair dogs!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                      I considered a clipper meant for sheep, but I figured it might be overkill and I can't afford it right now anyway.
                      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X