Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Molting Border Collie - just shave it all off!

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    Here is Autumn, my 11 year old Red Border Collie. Every spring her shedding goes into overdrive, and she leaves huge tufts of fur wherever she can. It's worse than her normal shedding. On top of that, she has a double coat and her soft underfur gets matted easily. The easiest solution is to just shave it all down to 1/4". Her tail was shaved down to 1". She was unusually cooperative this year and I completed the job in only a little over an hour.

Attachment 26496

Attachment 26497

Attachment 26498

Attachment 26499

Attachment 26500
    I use a rotating brush which clamps onto a hand drill, it is excellent for getting out the undercoat, then follow up with some hand attachments for shop vac. Some dogs won't tolerate the vacuum, they know the vacuum is evil. Takes only about ten minutes.

A tack shop or store which sells livestock supplies (or vet supply catalog) will have a better selection for grooming

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I tried grooming my Schnauzer once. It ended horribly. I decided it was easier for me and him to just take him to the groomer every few months and pay $50 to get it done right. I would normally tell them to just leave him with a schnauzer face but cut the rest of his body short. Normally schnauzers have long hair on their legs and chest/belly. But he would always get that fur tangled with leaves and grass from the yard. Easier to just shave him.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Which is why I bought a Shearmaster, a clipper used for sheep. I know some spinners who have used Newfie hair for spinning. I tried talking my wife into spinning so we could recycle the fur. The discussion did not end well for me.
    Try felting it instead. Next time, buy the whorl and try to do it yourself before asking your wife - that way, you know how much work your really asking for (hint A LOT).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I tried grooming my Schnauzer once. It ended horribly. I decided it was easier for me and him to just take him to the groomer every few months and pay $50 to get it done right. I would normally tell them to just leave him with a schnauzer face but cut the rest of his body short. Normally schnauzers have long hair on their legs and chest/belly. But he would always get that fur tangled with leaves and grass from the yard. Easier to just shave him.
    It was 84F yesterday - in February! Personally, I'm liking Global Warming so far - but I'm glad I have short hair dogs!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Which is why I bought a Shearmaster, a clipper used for sheep. I know some spinners who have used Newfie hair for spinning. I tried talking my wife into spinning so we could recycle the fur. The discussion did not end well for me.
    I considered a clipper meant for sheep, but I figured it might be overkill and I can't afford it right now anyway.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.