Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ban All Semi-Auto Firearms...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ban All Semi-Auto Firearms...

I lived about a mile from where the Sandy Hook shooting took place (years before the event) and I knew a woman whose son was in a class room near where the the shooting took place - he survived. One of the sad things is that we as a community (including our Tweb community) can not come together and grieve. We all go to our corners ready to fight, accuse and defend. I'm tired... Most of you know that I'm a big defender of gun rights, but for what it is worth, like back in the day when we banned machine guns because of the carnage they caused, I have come to believe that perhaps we should now ban all semi-automatics. Rifles and pistols. Bolt action rifles, revolvers and pump shot guns will remain fully legal. And perhaps we could grandfather in the semis that are privately owned, but going forward no new sales - privately or commercially.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    I lived about a mile from where the Sandy Hook shooting took place (years before the event) and I knew a woman whose son was in a class room near where the the shooting took place - he survived. One of the sad things is that we as a community (including our Tweb community) can not come together and grieve. We all go to our corners ready to fight, accuse and defend. I'm tired... Most of you know that I'm a big defender of gun rights, but for what it is worth, like back in the day when we banned machine guns because of the carnage they caused, I have come to believe that perhaps we should now ban all semi-automatics. Rifles and pistols. Bolt action rifles, revolvers and pump shot guns will remain fully legal. And perhaps we could grandfather in the semis that are privately owned, but going forward no new sales - privately or commercially.
    I have no idea if you're being sincere (I suspect you are, but...), but where I have seen this discussed, there's always the reference to prohibition. When we tried to control the sale and use of alcohol, all that did was create and/or embolden new crime syndicates, underground manufacturing and sales, and death. My son-in-law (as many of you know) is commander of a multi-jurisdictional rapid response team, and the most dangerous situation they get into is when they work with ATF in raiding a place that deals in illegal firearms. One of our closest friends was killed in such a raid, attempting to serve a warrant.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I have no idea if you're being sincere (I suspect you are, but...), but where I have seen this discussed, there's always the reference to prohibition. When we tried to control the sale and use of alcohol, all that did was create and/or embolden new crime syndicates, underground manufacturing and sales, and death. My son-in-law (as many of you know) is commander of a multi-jurisdictional rapid response team, and the most dangerous situation they get into is when they work with ATF in raiding a place that deals in illegal firearms. One of our closest friends was killed in such a raid, attempting to serve a warrant.
      I am serious, but the fact is CP we have done a pretty good job of keeping fully auto firearms out of the hands of the general population. There will always be criminals - of course law enforcement will still have access to semi-automatics.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I am serious, but the fact is CP we have done a pretty good job of keeping fully auto firearms out of the hands of the general population. There will always be criminals - of course law enforcement will still have access to semi-automatics.
        I agree, Seer -- but there are so many semi-autos out there that I don't think there's even a remote possibility of removing them from the population. Not only do we have the US manufacturers, but we have all kinds of foreign manufacturers licensed to manufacture AK's, and other mainline semi-autos, along with a bunch of countries manufacturing their own semi-auto designs.

I have to admit, however, that there's very little practical difference between fully auto and semi auto in the human tolls they can take in the hands of a practiced individual.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm not sure prohibition is a good analogy. The reason the crime syndicates and all that were able to rise to such power was because alcohol was strongly in demand; the number of people who buy semiautomatic guns is minute compared to the number of people who buy alcohol.

It is also worth remembering that, for the various problems it caused, prohibition did decrease alcohol consumption. It accomplished, at least to a certain extent, what it was supposed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
            I'm not sure prohibition is a good analogy. The reason the crime syndicates and all that were able to rise to such power was because alcohol was strongly in demand; the number of people who buy semiautomatic guns is minute compared to the number of people who buy alcohol.
            Minute? Even if that's true, I didn't claim it was proportional - just similar.

It is also worth remembering that, for the various problems it caused, prohibition did decrease alcohol consumption. It accomplished, at least to a certain extent, what it was supposed to do.
            But ultimately it failed. Miserably.

Comment

(I’m not trolling or suggesting gun grabbing in this instance)

Perhaps the solution is a long term one. Ban the sale of semi-automatics, both commercially, as well as through gun shows and through private sales.

They will obviously still be out there from the sales up until this point, but when the owner has passed on, they then have to be passed on to the relevant authorities.

Naturally this has to be across all states, and it won’t fix any problems here & now, but perhaps it’s a solution which will come to fruition in our kids or grandkids lives as our generation inevitably dies off. As people have mentioned elsewhere, forcibly removing them now is a non-starter.

But then this depends upon proper enforcement- something which thus far has been severely lacking and unpunished (I still don’t get that).

Comment

How will you confiscate these guns without using such guns?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                  How will you confiscate these guns without using such guns?
                  I'm not advocating confiscating, just going forward no legal sales of semi-automatic firearms. Those who own them now can keep them, but can't sell them or pass them on. If they die or no longer want them they would turn them in to be destroyed.

Comment

I have come to believe that perhaps we should now ban all semi-automatics.
                    No.
                    My Amazon Author page: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B0719RS8BK

Comment

Minute? Even if that's true, I didn't claim it was proportional - just similar.
                      CP, I don’t see it as similar, at all, except at the most minimal level because both entail bannings. Your response to seer presumes that banning the sale of these mechanisms that chew through flesh and bone at a very fast rate will inhibit the public’s ability to return fire with a similar device and come out the hero.

Criminals would acquire these death machines at the same rate, whether legal or banned.

Originally posted by Cow Poke
                      Just curious if you feel the same way about cannabis or other non-alcoholic drugs.

Comment

I say no as well..Getting tired and giving in is part of the game plan... (no I'm NOT suggesting the shootings are part of some nefarious plot to get guns banned...)but, I don't think this would make a difference TBH. It can't and won't stop here. After you implement this ban on sales of semi's...they will come up with a way around it. 10 - 12 round revolvers will become norm...and what about quick revolver loaders? Also, many pump shot guns already hold 5 - 7 shells...the damage from a 7 shot shotgun into a crowd is horrifying. Couple that with a couple of revolvers and you have carnage. Are you going to allow pump rifles? How about lever action rifles? Do you realize that most "assault" style shotguns are pump? That there's not tactical advantage to a semi-auto shotgun over a pump? And Lever action rifles? See the Clip from The Rifleman Intro!

https://youtu.be/9IVCwYPjFXc
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

your generation having destroyed what was left of western civilization, you now want to disarm future generations to make sure they can never resist the disasters you've enabled. thanks again, pops.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                            CP, I don’t see it as similar, at all, except at the most minimal level because both entail bannings.
                            Both are bannings of a commodity that was very much desired by a segment of the population.

Your response to seer presumes that banning the sale of these mechanisms that chew through flesh and bone at a very fast rate will inhibit the public’s ability to return fire with a similar device and come out the hero.
                            How bout let's dial down the rhetoric a bit, eh? It is undeniable that there is a significant part of the population that believes it is their right to own semi-automatic weapons, and they would not be convinced that the banning of semi-auto wasn't the slippery slope to banning ALL guns.

Criminals would acquire these death machines at the same rate, whether legal or banned.
                            "Acquire"? I'm talking about a whole black market, just like what happened in prohibition.

Just curious if you feel the same way about cannabis or other non-alcoholic drugs.
                            Not sure what you're asking, or how it's related.

Comment

No, prohibition was a success insofar as reducing alcohol consumption and drinking to a considerable degree. The problem it wasn't viewed as having done it enough to justify all of the crime problems that resulted.

Comment