Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ban All Semi-Auto Firearms...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Well no, what you now own will be grandfathered in, you keep them legally, but they can no longer be sold - going forward.
    Which is why I had "going forward" in my post.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I just want to be clear that Seer is specifically proposing banning semi-auto handguns, not just "assault rifles*".

This means that all but one of my handguns would be illegal ("going forward") and my only shotgun is semi-auto.

*note that "assault rifle" is often misused, because it describes a fully automatic weapon, which the AR-15 (most often misidentified as one) is not
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Which is why I had "going forward" in my post.

Yes, but they would not be illegal for you...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Machine guns were treated similarly in the 30s. The federal firearms act created a controversy at the time, establishing an excise tax on forearms. Few ordinary citizens held machine guns. It was successful, and is not necessarily controversial today. Not many have an 50 cal, and most would wonder if one needs his headspace checked if he did buy one (an old Army joke, the M2 has adjustable headspace). The prohibitions on machine guns has basically worked.

But the problem is how do we define a semi automatic weapon? They are rare today, and not common in commerce.

Comment

How would banning semi-autos make a difference? People would just use shotguns, rifles and revolvers. The time difference in having to rack a shotgun or rifle or shoot a revolver is miniscule. You can rack a new shot in a shot gun or rifle in about a 1/4 second.

And as far as reloading time, just look at the Las Vegas shooter, he just used multiple guns.

You can't stop someone who is determined to commit such crimes. If you take away all guns, they will just make bombs. Or drive trucks. Or run around stabbing people or cutting them up with a sword.

The problem isn't with the weapons, it is with the people doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

The problem isn't with the weapons, it is with the people doing it.
            I'm just tried of seeing dead kids and young people, I suspect that the deeper problem is the destruction of nuclear family. And I don't know how to fix that...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
              But the problem is how do we define a semi automatic weapon? They are rare today, and not common in commerce.
              Semi-automatic weapons are WAY numerous and readily available, and the definition is simple - basically any weapon that fires a round when you pull the trigger apart from other actions. All of my weapons are semi-auto, including my shotgun. I think part of the problem is that you have people trying to enact "solutions" who don't even understand the terminology or the hardware.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Semi-automatic weapons are WAY numerous and readily available, and the definition is simple - basically any weapon that fires a round when you pull the trigger apart from other actions. All of my weapons are semi-auto, including my shotgun. I think part of the problem is that you have people trying to enact "solutions" who don't even understand the terminology or the hardware.
                Which explains why virtually every reporter on TV the past few days kept referring to the AR-15 as an "assault rifle" when it isn't.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Which explains why virtually every reporter on TV the past few days kept referring to the AR-15 as an "assault rifle" when it isn't.
                  Correct - an assault rifle is fully automatic, as is the AR-15's military cousin, the M-16 - "a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use". The AR-15 (unless illegally modified) is semi-auto, and not "an assault rifle".

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    I'm just tried of seeing dead kids and young people
                    Turn off tv, sadness will pass.

I suspect that the deeper problem is the destruction of nuclear family. And I don't know how to fix that...
                    Give in to progs and things just become worse, faster!
                    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Correct - an assault rifle is fully automatic, as is the AR-15's military cousin, the M-16 - "a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use". The AR-15 (unless illegally modified) is semi-auto, and not "an assault rifle".
                      And, AS WE SPEAK, Senator Nelson [D] is grandstanding in Florida calling for a ban on "assault weapons", and "let me tell you what an assault weapon is and is not -- an AR-15 is an assault weapon"!

Comment

And, AS WE SPEAK, Senator Nelson [D] is grandstanding in Florida calling for a ban on "assault weapons", and "let me tell you what an assault weapon is and is not -- an AR-15 is an assault weapon"!
                        It's easy: A(ssault)R(ifle)-15
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

An assault rifle is defined by its functionality.

An assault weapon is defined by its appearance.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            It's easy: A(ssault)R(ifle)-15
                            That's TOO "easy". The AR in “AR-15” rifle stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. “AR” does NOT stand for “assault rifle” or “automatic rifle.” AR-15-style rifles are NOT “assault weapons” or “assault ...

Comment

That's TOO "easy". The AR in “AR-15” rifle stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. “AR” does NOT stand for “assault rifle” or “automatic rifle.” AR-15-style rifles are NOT “assault weapons” or “assault ...
                              Have you looked at an AR-15 lately? Clearly a weapon of war.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                                Have you looked at an AR-15 lately? Clearly a weapon of war.
                                It's the bayonet lug that clinches it for me although I suspect that you think so because its black

Comment