Announcement

Collapse

Judaism Guidelines

Theists only.

Shalom!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the world religion of Judaism in general and also its relationship to Christianity. This forum is generally for theists only. Non-theists (eg, atheistic Jews) may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Psalm 84

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psalm 84

Psalm 84

How lovely is Your dwelling place,
    Lord of Hosts.
    2 I long and yearn
    for the courts of the Lord;
    my heart and flesh cry out for[a] the living God.

3 Even a sparrow finds a home,
    and a swallow, a nest for herself
    where she places her young—
    near Your altars, Lord of Hosts,
    my King and my God.
    4 How happy are those who reside in Your house,
    who praise You continually.Selah

5 Happy are the people whose strength is in You,
    whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.
    6 As they pass through the Valley of Baca,[b]
    they make it a source of springwater;
    even the autumn rain will cover it with blessings.[c]
    7 They go from strength to strength;
    each appears before God in Zion.

What structure were the pilgrims going to visit?

Some say that the Temple was not built at the time Psalm 84 was written.

Thanks.

I don't know that "pilgrimage" is the best translation there. It seems fairly obvious to me that the psalm is indeed referring to the Temple (both in reference to "Your house" and "Zion" - which is the mountain on which the Temple was built).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I don't know that "pilgrimage" is the best translation there. It seems fairly obvious to me that the psalm is indeed referring to the Temple (both in reference to "Your house" and "Zion" - which is the mountain on which the Temple was built).
      I posted this because of the Muslim claim that Valley of Baca is Mecca and the house is the Kabah, even though the text clearly says they were headed for Zion and Zion is not Mecca.

I think it possible that the Psalm could have been written after the Temple was built or before it was built because the specifications of the Temple were given to King David and passed on to Solomon.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
        I posted this because of the Muslim claim that Valley of Baca is Mecca and the house is the Kabah, even though the text clearly says they were headed for Zion and Zion is not Mecca.
        Ah. That theory is so absurd it doesn't merit a considered response. The Kabah was dedicated to idol worship before Muhammed threw everyone out.
        I think it possible that the Psalm could have been written after the Temple was built or before it was built because the specifications of the Temple were given to King David and passed on to Solomon.
        Well, it's not a Davidic psalm; it would be an interpretive stretch to date it prior to the Temple's completion.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Ah. That theory is so absurd it doesn't merit a considered response. The Kabah was dedicated to idol worship before Muhammed threw everyone out.

Well, it's not a Davidic psalm; it would be an interpretive stretch to date it prior to the Temple's completion.
          Is there any way to know when Psalm 84 was written?

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
            Is there any way to know when Psalm 84 was written?
            Not really. I wouldn't venture to narrow it down more than sometime between the reign of Solomon and Josiah, and that's more on gut than anything much solid. It doesn't narrate anything easily dated, it doesn't have a specifying superscript, and the earliest copies we have are from centuries (at least) after it was composed.

sigpic

Comment

Not really. I wouldn't venture to narrow it down more than sometime between the reign of Solomon and Josiah, and that's more on gut than anything much solid. It doesn't narrate anything easily dated, it doesn't have a specifying superscript, and the earliest copies we have are from centuries (at least) after it was composed.
              OK, thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X