Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Age Requirement for Owning Semi-Auto Weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age Requirement for Owning Semi-Auto Weapons

Oddly, this isn't something I've seen discussed much.

In many states, you can legally purchase a semi-auto rifle at age 18, even though you can't buy beer til you're 21. You can't even be a police officer until you're 21.

I'm wondering why nobody (and I suspect they have, but I'm just not aware) is proposing that the age to purchase, own or operate a semi-automatic weapon be raised to 21?

I haven't actually checked yet, but haven't all (or most) of the school shooters been under that age?

And, note, this would not preclude an 18 year old from deer hunting or sport shooting or pistol competitions - as long as it was done with a bolt action rifle, shot gun or revolver.

And even some deer rifles are "magazine fed", but require a bolt to be operated manually between shots, which should be perfectly fine for their purpose. It certainly works well for military snipers.

Would my fellow 2 Amendment posters be opposed to a 21 year age limit on semi-auto weapons?
    Defintely in SUPPORT of rasing the age to 21
    76.92%
    Definitely OPPOSED to raising the age to 21
    15.38%
    Don't care one way or the other
    7.69%
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Oddly, this isn't something I've seen discussed much.

In many states, you can legally purchase a semi-auto rifle at age 18, even though you can't buy beer til you're 21. You can't even be a police officer until you're 21.

I'm wondering why nobody (and I suspect they have, but I'm just not aware) is proposing that the age to purchase, own or operate a semi-automatic weapon be raised to 21?

I haven't actually checked yet, but haven't all (or most) of the school shooters been under that age?

And, note, this would not preclude an 18 year old from deer hunting or sport shooting or pistol competitions - as long as it was done with a bolt action rifle, shot gun or revolver.

And even some deer rifles are "magazine fed", but require a bolt to be operated manually between shots, which should be perfectly fine for their purpose. It certainly works well for military snipers.

Would my fellow 2 Amendment posters be opposed to a 21 year age limit on semi-auto weapons?
    Off hand I wouldn't be opposed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Off hand I wouldn't be opposed.
      I think it'd be far more reasonable than trying to collect 300+ million weapons.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I fear any legislative solution is going to have a limited effect until the feds get more serious about prosecuting straw purchasers.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I fear any legislative solution is going to have a limited effect until the feds get more serious about prosecuting straw purchasers.
          One of the biggest problems is that the government is far more interested in passing new laws rather than enforcing the ones already in place.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

One of the biggest problems is that the government is far more interested in passing new laws rather than enforcing the ones already in place.
            And in considering the passage of new laws they are far more concerned about their donors and lobbyists than actually solving any problems.

Comment

Maybe you should attach a poll to the thread concerning an age restriction for semi-automatic firearms

Comment

nope...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Maybe you should attach a poll to the thread concerning an age restriction for semi-automatic firearms
                  Done - suggestions on modifying the poll?

Comment

Done - suggestions on modifying the poll?
                    yeah fix spelling it's support not suppurt.

Comment

Originally posted by rumtumtugger View Post
                      yeah fix spelling it's support not suppurt.
                      DRAT!!!!!

What are you talking about?

Comment

I don't think it would do any good but I am not opposed to it.

There is nothing stopping some nutjob kid from taking his dad's semi-auto and shooting up a school.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I don't think it would do any good but I am not opposed to it.

There is nothing stopping some nutjob kid from taking his dad's semi-auto and shooting up a school.
                          Very true - but I would gladly support laws and applicable penalties for gun owners who allow their weapons to be illegally used by others, and not secured.

It's like when somebody uses your car to commit a crime - you're on the hook, unless you can prove it was stolen or something. "I didn't know he took it" is not a defense.

Comment

DRAT!!!!!

What are you talking about?

Comment

That would be a pointless change just to try to make things look better to the gun grabbers.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment