Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shootings, Why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Shootings, Why

Ok, I have said this before, I grew up in those backward years of the 50s and 60s, when firearms were actually much easier to get. I owned many myself as a teenager (including military semi-auto rifles). And though you had the occasional mass shooting they were nothing compared to what we have seen in the last 25 years. So what is going on? What are your thoughts about the underlying cause(s) of these events?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

The breakup of the nuclear family, and removing discipline from the schools.

I was raised where you never sassed a teacher, and if you ever complained to mom that a teacher gave you a "swat", you only did that one time, cause mom would give you TWO swats for making trouble.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The heart of man is desperately wicked........

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        The breakup of the nuclear family, and removing discipline from the schools.
        I agree, so why aren't we talking about this too? Or even more? And I wonder how many of these shooters were on antidepressants or anti-psychotic meds?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Sure, but that doesn't explain the difference in the past 50 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            I agree, so why aren't we talking about this too? Or even more? And I wonder how many of these shooters were on antidepressants or anti-psychotic meds?
            That's the whole point, to me, Seer. We're reaping the whirlwind of the social engineering of the 60's and 70's, but nobody wants to own that. Much easier to blame hardware than failed policies.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's the whole point, to me, Seer. We're reaping the whirlwind of the social engineering of the 60's and 70's, but nobody wants to own that. Much easier to blame hardware than failed policies.
              yep. started with the liberal movement in the 70's. drugs, free love, no discipline. Those hippies are the ones sitting in Washington today making the laws. the ones teaching kids for the last 40 years. RAISING kids. Those kids grew up and are today's millennials.

Comment

It's way too easy to blame the demonic "other" for this. There have always been liberals and conservatives as competing political movements. There have always been wave cycles in the loosening and tightening of moral values. This is well documented history.

The media attention on atrocity and the kind of outraged, ideological bubbles that people inhabit on line have to have something to do with this.
                "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                Save me, save me"

Comment

I think media attention is the key to the explanation, though its likely has multiple causes.

Comment

I agree with a few of the theories present in this thread. I think a lot of it ultimately comes down to a focus on the individual to the detriment of the collective society. There's no longer any real sense of public or community shame pressing individuals to do the right thing, and in a world where celebrities are the new pantheon, a mass shooting is an easy way to the top. It's a total schizoid world we live in where many people no longer know their next door neighbors, but are desperate for the rest of the world to recognize that they exist.

I've mentioned this before, but there's a great documentary on the rise of mass shootings in America called Murder by Proxy: How America Went Postal which discusses the rise of the mass shooting phenomenon and its feedback loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      I agree with a few of the theories present in this thread. I think a lot of it ultimately comes down to a focus on the individual to the detriment of the collective society. There's no longer any real sense of public or community shame pressing individuals to do the right thing, and in a world where celebrities are the new pantheon, a mass shooting is an easy way to the top. It's a total schizoid world we live in where many people no longer know their next door neighbors, but are desperate for the rest of the world to recognize that they exist.

I've mentioned this before, but there's a great documentary on the rise of mass shootings in America called Murder by Proxy: How America Went Postal which discusses the rise of the mass shooting phenomenon and its feedback loop.

really a lot of this stuff started with the internet. As much as it brings us together, it also works like a feedback loop for our darkest tendencies. Like the celebrity thing you mentioned. It seems to amplify everything. Every news story gets spun out of control and every viewpoint gets extremely polarized.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        Ok, I have said this before, I grew up in those backward years of the 50s and 60s, when firearms were actually much easier to get. I owned many myself as a teenager (including military semi-auto rifles). And though you had the occasional mass shooting they were nothing compared to what we have seen in the last 25 years. So what is going on? What are your thoughts about the underlying cause(s) of these events?
                        Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        Add to this gucamole and Leonard pointing to media attention and I think you have the vast majority of the answer. We have gone drastically downhill morally as a nation and as a people.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Yup, let’s completely ignore the dark ages, chattel slavery, pograms, hundreds of instances of genocide, etc. that preceded today’s violent expressions of mental illness. Why does this happen?

“Because teachers today don’t swat kids for misbehavior.”

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                            Yup, let’s completely ignore the dark ages, chattel slavery, pograms, hundreds of instances of genocide, etc. that preceded today’s violent expressions of mental illness. Why does this happen?

“Because teachers today don’t swat kids for misbehavior.”
                            I've not known you to be this disingenuous.

Comment

I've not known you to be this disingenuous.
                              Really?

Comment