Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shootings, Why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Really?
    I think I'm having a deja vu all over again.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I've not known you to be this disingenuous.
      Your explanation for mass shootings was breakup of the nuclear family and a lack of discipline in schools. Did you object to the quotation marks?

Comment

Mass Shootings, Why

That's the whole point, to me, Seer. We're reaping the whirlwind of the social engineering of the 60's and 70's, but nobody wants to own that. Much easier to blame hardware than failed policies.
        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        yep. started with the liberal movement in the 70's. drugs, free love, no discipline. Those hippies are the ones sitting in Washington today making the laws. the ones teaching kids for the last 40 years. RAISING kids. Those kids grew up and are today's millennials.
        Progism and progs.

Who could have guessed???
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
          It's way too easy to blame the demonic "other" for this. There have always been liberals and conservatives as competing political movements. There have always been wave cycles in the loosening and tightening of moral values. This is well documented history.

The media attention on atrocity and the kind of outraged, ideological bubbles that people inhabit on line have to have something to do with this.
          Demi is surprised, no screams of yours 'guns guns guns' for moment!!!
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Ok, I have said this before, I grew up in those backward years of the 50s and 60s, when firearms were actually much easier to get. I owned many myself as a teenager (including military semi-auto rifles). And though you had the occasional mass shooting they were nothing compared to what we have seen in the last 25 years. So what is going on? What are your thoughts about the underlying cause(s) of these events?
            "Gun Free Zones" are a relatively recent phenomenon, and the majority of mass shootings happen where the victims are unlikely to shoot back. I can't imagine this is a coincidence.

I bet if teachers practiced open carry that schools would suddenly become a less appealing target.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              "Gun Free Zones" are a relatively recent phenomenon, and the majority of mass shootings happen where the victims are unlikely to shoot back. I can't imagine this is a coincidence.

I bet if teachers practiced open carry that schools would suddenly become a less appealing target.
              I like the idea of concealed carry - so you don't know WHICH teachers are armed.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I like the idea of concealed carry - so you don't know WHICH teachers are armed.
                And a big sign on the door saying, "School Staff is Armed and Will Respond to Threats With Deadly Force".

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  And a big sign on the door saying, "School Staff is Armed and Will Respond to Threats With Deadly Force".
                  I might suggest changing that to "School Staff is Armed and Trained to Respond to Threats With Deadly Force" - and make sure the "trained" part is actually true.

Comment

It's a little meme-y, but I like this in reply to the idea of arming teachers:

https://www.facebook.com/UTLAnow/vid...6126557742129/

Comment

mass shootings.jpg
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

In my case, it would only be those teachers who wanted to, were qualified, and trained.... like the coach who was also "security" whose only 'weapon' was his body.

Comment

In my case, it would only be those teachers who wanted to, were qualified, and trained.... like the coach who was also "security" whose only 'weapon' was his body.
                          It just seems like putting a band-aid on a much deeper issue. I mean, it just seems surreal to me that people are seriously talking about arming teachers in order to defend their classes from postal students. The wiser solution seems to be to change the environment so that the student never goes postal in the first place, and prevent him from acquiring the tools he needs in case he does. And in a nation that's already dealing with police gun violence that's unprecedented in the Western world, arming teachers sounds like a huge mistake. The first time that a teacher shoots a student they mistakenly assume is armed, or that they feel otherwise threatened by, people will lose their minds.

Comment

It just seems like putting a band-aid on a much deeper issue. I mean, it just seems surreal to me that people are seriously talking about arming teachers in order to defend their classes from postal students.
                            A possible component. Not a solution. There are a whole lot of moving parts, and nothing has worked yet - why not consider multiple options?

The wiser solution seems to be to change the environment so that the student never goes postal in the first place, and prevent him from acquiring the tools he needs in case he does.
                            That would be another component.

And in a nation that's already dealing with police gun violence that's unprecedented in the Western world, arming teachers sounds like a huge mistake. The first time that a teacher shoots a student they mistakenly assume is armed, or that they feel otherwise threatened by, people will lose their minds.
                            That's certainly an issue that needs to be addressed, which is why I stressed
                            Armed and Trained to Respond to Threats With Deadly Force" - and make sure the "trained" part is actually true.
                            I think you're trying too hard to find a perfect-ish solution (or one to your own liking, or that you consider "wisest") rather than "what all can we do"?

Comment

This looks suspiciously like the liberal mantra that you can solve any problem if you throw enough taxpayer money at social programs, but the almost complete failure of many of our well-funded social programs would seem to be evidence against this hypothesis.

In the meantime, we need to recognize that "Gun Free Zones" have been a disaster and should be abolished. Besides, imagine how much better behaved students would be if they knew their teachers were packing heat.
                              Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-17-2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

That's certainly an issue that needs to be addressed, which is why I stressed

Armed and Trained to Respond to Threats With Deadly Force" - and make sure the "trained" part is actually true.
                                Police are trained, and yet this nation is tearing itself apart because of the number of incidences of negligent use of force. Giving guns to teachers would be catastrophic.

I think you're trying too hard to find a perfect-ish solution (or one to your own liking, or that you consider "wisest") rather than "what all can we do"?
                                Not at all. As I've mentioned in the other thread, I'm perfectly fine with a multi-tiered approach. I just think this particular approach is insane. Like so bad that it might be best to just let the occasional kid shoot up a school than allow teachers to get into gunfights with their students, or risk accidental and intentional firings on unarmed students.

Comment