Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Woman sent to jail for baptizing her child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman sent to jail for baptizing her child

Charlotte woman reports to jail for baptizing daughter

By: Glenn Counts

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A Charlotte woman reported to jail Friday morning after she baptized her daughter.

The court case goes back a couple of years to when Kendra Stocks and Paul Schaaf were in a custody battle over their daughter. According to court documents, the two could never agree to the terms of their daughter's baptism.

"It’s just very sad. It’s all just a very sad situation,” Stocks told Channel 9.

Court records said Schaaf is a practicing Catholic who attends Mass every week, and that ultimately the court granted him final decision-making authority on all legal custody decisions, including decisions concerning religion.

Both parents were warned that they could go to jail if they ignored the warning. But the next day, Stocks went out and baptized her daughter, according to court documents.

Schaaf found out about the baptism on Facebook, documents showed.

The court documents stated that "the mother has acted selfishly by depriving the father of the ability to be present at an event that was extraordinarily important to him."

The judge found Stocks in contempt of court and sentenced her to seven days in jail.

Channel 9 had the only camera at the jail as Stocks, a mother of two, turned herself in.

"I'll get through it and hopefully come out a better person,” Stocks told Channel 9.

In contempt cases, a judge can order someone detained if they believe someone is improperly challenging or ignoring the court's authority. Violators can be fined, jailed, or both.

Channel 9 tried to speak with Judge Sean Smith about his ruling, but were told that because the child is under 18, it's still a pending case and he can't comment.

Stocks was supported by a couple of friends and her mother. They shared an emotional embrace before Stocks was processed.

“Her father and I both agreed on baptizing her. I regret that he wasn't part of it, but I don't regret we’re raising her in the Catholic faith, which is what we both wanted,” Stocks said.

Stocks was searched by a female deputy and handcuffed, and her mother cried as she walked out of the jail.

"She's wonderful,” said Carol Stocks, Kendra Stocks mother. “They play all the time. She teaches them things. She's an incredible loving mother."

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Court records said Schaaf is a practicing Catholic who attends Mass every week, and that ultimately the court granted him final decision-making authority on all legal custody decisions, including decisions concerning religion.
    "righteous rebellion against patriarchy!!!!"
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

A better headline: Woman sent to jail for contempt of court. This really isn't about religious liberty.

I hate divorce.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        A better headline: Woman sent to jail for contempt of court. This really isn't about religious liberty.

I hate divorce.
        Right, but she would have been perfectly free to kill that same child in the womb.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

I hate divorce.
          I agree. She violated a court order. The act of baptism was merely incidental, so the thread title is misleading.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Off topic....

Charlotte woman reports to jail for baptizing daughter

By: Glenn Counts

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A Charlotte woman reported to jail Friday morning after she baptized her daughter.

The court case goes back a couple of years to when Kendra Stocks and Paul Schaaf were in a custody battle over their daughter. According to court documents, the two could never agree to the terms of their daughter's baptism.

"It’s just very sad. It’s all just a very sad situation,” Stocks told Channel 9.

Both parents were warned that they could go to jail if they ignored the warning. But the next day, Stocks went out and baptized her daughter, according to court documents.

Schaaf found out about the baptism on Facebook, documents showed.

The court documents stated that "the mother has acted selfishly by depriving the father of the ability to be present at an event that was extraordinarily important to him."

The judge found Stocks in contempt of court and sentenced her to seven days in jail.

Channel 9 had the only camera at the jail as Stocks, a mother of two, turned herself in.

"I'll get through it and hopefully come out a better person,” Stocks told Channel 9.

In contempt cases, a judge can order someone detained if they believe someone is improperly challenging or ignoring the court's authority. Violators can be fined, jailed, or both.

Channel 9 tried to speak with Judge Sean Smith about his ruling, but were told that because the child is under 18, it's still a pending case and he can't comment.

Stocks was supported by a couple of friends and her mother. They shared an emotional embrace before Stocks was processed.

“Her father and I both agreed on baptizing her. I regret that he wasn't part of it, but I don't regret we’re raising her in the Catholic faith, which is what we both wanted,” Stocks said.

Stocks was searched by a female deputy and handcuffed, and her mother cried as she walked out of the jail.

"She's wonderful,” said Carol Stocks, Kendra Stocks mother. “They play all the time. She teaches them things. She's an incredible loving mother."
            The bolded part.

I get SO TIRED of the news media making themselves the story ... our local news is constantly "the victim told us exclusively" "Channel 13 was there exclusively to cover..." "Channel 13 was first on the scene....."

Who GIVES a flyin' flip!!!!!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Off topic....

The bolded part.

I get SO TIRED of the news media making themselves the story ... our local news is constantly "the victim told us exclusively" "Channel 13 was there exclusively to cover..." "Channel 13 was first on the scene....."

Who GIVES a flyin' flip!!!!!
              It's inserting a plug for their own news into the middle of a story. Considering how many of their "news stories" are straight out advertisements for and promotions of TV shows on their network, upcoming movies, concerts and other performances, this is hardly shocking.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                It's inserting a plug for their own news into the middle of a story. Considering how many of their "news stories" are straight out advertisements for and promotions of TV shows on their network, upcoming movies, concerts and other performances, this is hardly shocking.
                Not shocking at all... it goes hand in hand with the..... "A local man shocks his community with a stunning revelation .... find out more after the local weather"...

Just report the news!!!! And so much of the "news" is just fluff!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Their job isn't to report the news, it's to get the best ratings so they can charge more for ads.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig

I hate divorce.
                    Yeah it seems the title is trying to bait outrage from Christians.

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Right, but she would have been perfectly free to kill that same child in the womb.
                    What does that have to do with this?

Comment

Not shocking at all... it goes hand in hand with the..... "A local man shocks his community with a stunning revelation .... find out more after the local weather"...

Just report the news!!!! And so much of the "news" is just fluff!
                      The "teases" get old. They constantly tell us that they're going to cover some story "right after the [commercial] break" but in reality it might be after three or four commercial breaks before they get around to it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        The "teases" get old. They constantly tell us that they're going to cover some story "right after the [commercial] break" but in reality it might be after three or four commercial breaks before they get around to it.
                        Well they have to do that because...

...I will explain why in my upcoming post.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Their job isn't to report the news, it's to get the best ratings so they can charge more for ads.
                          EGGzackly! Plus, as we've pointed out before, they all seem to subscribe to the same dumb "another bear up in a palm tree" "news" sources. Fluff!

Comment

EGGzackly! Plus, as we've pointed out before, they all seem to subscribe to the same dumb "another bear up in a palm tree" "news" sources. Fluff!
                            anigif_enhanced-28277-1462285276-3.gif

Comment

Well they have to do that because...

...I will explain why in my upcoming post.
                              After the break, Sparko will explain what he does when he steps into a knothole on the deck with his peg leg

Comment