Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What Do We Do about the Biased and Incompetent FBI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do We Do about the Biased and Incompetent FBI?

What Do We Do about the Biased and Incompetent FBI?

First of all, lemme say that I don't think it's the rank and file - I think we have a leadership problem. I'm still involved in a number of areas of law enforcement, and often have coffee with our local FBI folks. They're as frustrated with the direction of the FBI 'as an institution' as I am. They think the institution has lost its way.

In the old days (I was a cop some 40 years ago) we always enjoyed going to the FBI seminars when they were available in our area, and we knew we were hearing from the best and the brightest professionals. When we formed a multijurisdictional task force for any purpose, the FBI component was top notch.

It amazes me that the FBI has not set up a division to deal exclusively with school shootings, complete with a toll-free hotline and a network of agents to aggressively work those tips. (the local agents I know assure me, to their chagrin, that this has not happened)

Anyway, the article, in part....

It's bad enough for a law enforcement agency to be biased. It's even worse for it to be biased and incompetent.

But the latter seems to be an apt characterization of our Federal Bureau of Investigation in the wake of the killings in Parkland, Florida, where, by their own admission, the organization overlooked warnings about the killer that could have saved seventeen students and teachers from mass murder. This is no mere bureaucratic slip-up and the demand by Governor Scott for the resignation of FBI Director Wray is understandable considering the number of dead children in his state.

The incompetence, moreover, is not just restricted to Parkland. It pervades an institution that—frequently blinded by the most rote political correctness—interviewed and then released terrorists who ultimately perpetrated horrific attacks from the Boston Marathon to the Orlando nightclub massacre. (There are several more.)

Those, to be kind, oversights demonstrate aspects of bias mixed with incompetence, but that lethal combination became yet more apparent throughout the Russian collusion investigation. For the last few weeks we have been digesting the nauseating probability that the FBI used a dossier paid for by the Clinton campaign and ginned up by an assembly of creepy political hatchet men and women (Blumenthal, Shearer, Steele, two Ohrs, etc.) with input from various "friends of the Kremlin" in order to spy on an American citizen and, undoubtedly, Donald Trump, before and after he became president.

In other words, the FBI displayed the behavior of a Banana Republic in its bias (well, it's a lot more than that, sadly ) at the same time it demonstrated its incompetence by doing so in a manner that would so easily—despite their myriad redactions—finally be uncovered. Many have stated they felt they could do this—play fast and loose—because Clinton's victory was assured, but even that was no guarantee. Documents exist. Did they think Tom Fitton and Judicial Watch would stop their FOIA requests? Eventually, the truth gets known. Whether anyone does anything about it is another matter.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

PJ Media has no problem with bias.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
      PJ Media has no problem with bias.
      Yeah, fully aware of that.... it just kinda dovetailed with a conversation I had yesterday with our local sheriff and two FBI people.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Yeah, fully aware of that.... it just kinda dovetailed with a conversation I had yesterday with our local sheriff and two FBI people.
        They've got a tough job. One agent dropped the ball on one report and 17 people died just up the road from me.

I don't see how a task force would help; they aren't going up against an organization. I'm even less clear on how promoting a broad attack against the entire agency from a source with no credibility in law enforcement or partisan bias is likely to help.

Whatever. Pay no mind to me right now. It's too close.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          They've got a tough job. One agent dropped the ball on one report and 17 people died just up the road from me.

I don't see how a task force would help; they aren't going up against an organization. I'm even less clear on how promoting a broad attack against the entire agency from a source with no credibility in law enforcement or partisan bias is likely to help.

Whatever. Pay no mind to me right now. It's too close.
          I value your input, Jesse, particularly because this IS close to you.

As I said, the article caught my attention because it's something that was being discussed by the local FBI personnel. I even led with a disclaimer. I think the agency - at the top level - has become too politicized and, as one of the local agents said, "it's more about the B in FBI and less about the I".

It's just here for discussion - it's not an attack.

Comment

and where is Homeland Security in all this? School shootings falls under a terrorist attack, right? Isn't their job to prevent such things?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              The incompetence, moreover, is not just restricted to Parkland. It pervades an institution that—frequently blinded by the most rote political correctness—interviewed and then released terrorists who ultimately perpetrated horrific attacks from the Boston Marathon to the Orlando nightclub massacre. (There are several more.)
              Okay, but if not releasing them, what should the FBI have done? If they haven't done anything illegal yet, I'm not sure on what grounds the article author expects the FBI to not release them; you can't hold someone for long if you don't have an actual crime to charge them with. Maybe there were things they could be charged with, but if so the article doesn't specify them.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                Okay, but if not releasing them, what should the FBI have done?
                That's a really broad question.

If they haven't done anything illegal yet, I'm not sure on what grounds the article author expects the FBI to not release them; you can't hold someone for long if you don't have an actual crime to charge them with. Maybe there were things they could be charged with, but if so the article doesn't specify them.
                I'm not defending the article so much as citing it as something that rang my bell relative to the current state of the FBI in general.

Comment

The FBI may not be able to arrest someone who only presents a threat, but do you suppose a visit from the FBI detailing their specific concerns -- i.e. "We have a record of your social media activity" -- and leaving with a "We have our eye on you" warning might serve as a deterrent?
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    and where is Homeland Security in all this? School shootings falls under a terrorist attack, right? Isn't their job to prevent such things?
                    Not by conventional definitions of terrorism, no.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      The FBI may not be able to arrest someone who only presents a threat, but do you suppose a visit from the FBI detailing their specific concerns -- i.e. "We have a record of your social media activity" -- and leaving with a "We have our eye on you" warning might serve as a deterrent?
                      To a sane rational person, that would be an eye opener. To a person who's likely to shoot up a school full of kids, it might be a "I better hurry and do this because they're 'on to me'".

Comment