Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: The Senior Adult New Baby

  1. #1
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    45,469
    Amen (Given)
    9764
    Amen (Received)
    22019

    The Senior Adult New Baby

    Last Sunday I just made a passing reference to the fact that there are, in my opinion, a lot of people who "grew up in Church" who never really came to a saving knowledge of Jesus.

    I had used my line (stolen from somebody, I know not who) "If a cat crawled into an oven and gave birth to kittens, would we call them muffins?" to counter the notion that people say "Well, I was practically born in Church" or "I've been in Church all my life..."

    Late this week, one of our senior adults - 87 years old - called me and said she wanted to talk about something I had said in the sermon. So, I just finished visiting with her about an hour ago, and she said "that's me".

    She explained that she grew up in Church, was baptized as an infant, attended Church most of her adult life, but never really committed her life to Christ, never asked Him to forgive her of her sins, and never asked Him to save her. We talked about it for a bit, and she said she went to Church "because you're supposed to", but never really thought any more about it. She said she had been re-reading the Gospel of John at my suggestion, and she knew Jesus wanted her to be saved.

    We prayed, she confessed Christ as Lord, asked Him to forgive her of her sins, and received Him as Savior. So, we have a brand new 87 year old baby girl!

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  2. #2
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Next to you
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,219
    Amen (Given)
    1489
    Amen (Received)
    3965
    It's certainly a good thing you mentioned that!
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

    All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

  3. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  4. #3
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,798
    Amen (Given)
    23
    Amen (Received)
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Last Sunday I just made a passing reference to the fact that there are, in my opinion, a lot of people who "grew up in Church" who never really came to a saving knowledge of Jesus.

    I had used my line (stolen from somebody, I know not who) "If a cat crawled into an oven and gave birth to kittens, would we call them muffins?" to counter the notion that people say "Well, I was practically born in Church" or "I've been in Church all my life..."

    Late this week, one of our senior adults - 87 years old - called me and said she wanted to talk about something I had said in the sermon. So, I just finished visiting with her about an hour ago, and she said "that's me".

    She explained that she grew up in Church, was baptized as an infant, attended Church most of her adult life, but never really committed her life to Christ, never asked Him to forgive her of her sins, and never asked Him to save her. We talked about it for a bit, and she said she went to Church "because you're supposed to", but never really thought any more about it. She said she had been re-reading the Gospel of John at my suggestion, and she knew Jesus wanted her to be saved.

    We prayed, she confessed Christ as Lord, asked Him to forgive her of her sins, and received Him as Savior. So, we have a brand new 87 year old baby girl!
    At 87, if someone finds something that gives them comfort, more power to them. They've definitely earned it.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

    -Martin Luther King

  5. #4
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42,915
    Amen (Given)
    4031
    Amen (Received)
    19567
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    At 87, if someone finds something that gives them comfort, more power to them. They've definitely earned it.
    It means there is still hope for you too Carpe.

  6. #5
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,798
    Amen (Given)
    23
    Amen (Received)
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    It means there is still hope for you too Carpe.
    One of the many reasons I'm not Christian anymore.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

    -Martin Luther King

  7. #6
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42,915
    Amen (Given)
    4031
    Amen (Received)
    19567
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    One of the many reasons I'm not Christian anymore.
    I believe once saved, always saved. So if you truly believed and meant it when you asked Jesus to save you, then you are saved despite your current disbelief. Or it could be you never truly believed. Only you and God know that. Either way there is still hope for you.

  8. Amen mossrose, Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  9. #7
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,798
    Amen (Given)
    23
    Amen (Received)
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I believe once saved, always saved. So if you truly believed and meant it when you asked Jesus to save you, then you are saved despite your current disbelief. Or it could be you never truly believed. Only you and God know that. Either way there is still hope for you.
    Understood, Sparko. I have encountered that belief before. In fact, I held it myself, and remember saying the same thing to people I encountered who had walked a path similar to my own. The once-in-always-in theme shows up in other places too. It accounts for why Catholics do not repeat a baptism: once baptized, always baptized. It's also behind Holy Orders, accounting for why a priest is always a priest. There is a process called laicization, but it also said never to erase the "indelible mark" of ordination.

    I leave that to those still "in the faith."

    But I do agree there is always hope for me. Maybe not exactly for the same things you are professing hope for, but I have a long list of things I still have hope for!
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

    -Martin Luther King

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •