Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

The Senior Adult New Baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Senior Adult New Baby

Last Sunday I just made a passing reference to the fact that there are, in my opinion, a lot of people who "grew up in Church" who never really came to a saving knowledge of Jesus.

I had used my line (stolen from somebody, I know not who) "If a cat crawled into an oven and gave birth to kittens, would we call them muffins?" to counter the notion that people say "Well, I was practically born in Church" or "I've been in Church all my life..."

Late this week, one of our senior adults - 87 years old - called me and said she wanted to talk about something I had said in the sermon. So, I just finished visiting with her about an hour ago, and she said "that's me".

She explained that she grew up in Church, was baptized as an infant, attended Church most of her adult life, but never really committed her life to Christ, never asked Him to forgive her of her sins, and never asked Him to save her. We talked about it for a bit, and she said she went to Church "because you're supposed to", but never really thought any more about it. She said she had been re-reading the Gospel of John at my suggestion, and she knew Jesus wanted her to be saved.

We prayed, she confessed Christ as Lord, asked Him to forgive her of her sins, and received Him as Savior. So, we have a brand new 87 year old baby girl!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

It's certainly a good thing you mentioned that!
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Last Sunday I just made a passing reference to the fact that there are, in my opinion, a lot of people who "grew up in Church" who never really came to a saving knowledge of Jesus.

I had used my line (stolen from somebody, I know not who) "If a cat crawled into an oven and gave birth to kittens, would we call them muffins?" to counter the notion that people say "Well, I was practically born in Church" or "I've been in Church all my life..."

Late this week, one of our senior adults - 87 years old - called me and said she wanted to talk about something I had said in the sermon. So, I just finished visiting with her about an hour ago, and she said "that's me".

She explained that she grew up in Church, was baptized as an infant, attended Church most of her adult life, but never really committed her life to Christ, never asked Him to forgive her of her sins, and never asked Him to save her. We talked about it for a bit, and she said she went to Church "because you're supposed to", but never really thought any more about it. She said she had been re-reading the Gospel of John at my suggestion, and she knew Jesus wanted her to be saved.

We prayed, she confessed Christ as Lord, asked Him to forgive her of her sins, and received Him as Savior. So, we have a brand new 87 year old baby girl!
      At 87, if someone finds something that gives them comfort, more power to them. They've definitely earned it.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        At 87, if someone finds something that gives them comfort, more power to them. They've definitely earned it.
        It means there is still hope for you too Carpe.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          It means there is still hope for you too Carpe.
          One of the many reasons I'm not Christian anymore.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            One of the many reasons I'm not Christian anymore.
            I believe once saved, always saved. So if you truly believed and meant it when you asked Jesus to save you, then you are saved despite your current disbelief. Or it could be you never truly believed. Only you and God know that. Either way there is still hope for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I believe once saved, always saved. So if you truly believed and meant it when you asked Jesus to save you, then you are saved despite your current disbelief. Or it could be you never truly believed. Only you and God know that. Either way there is still hope for you.
              Understood, Sparko. I have encountered that belief before. In fact, I held it myself, and remember saying the same thing to people I encountered who had walked a path similar to my own. The once-in-always-in theme shows up in other places too. It accounts for why Catholics do not repeat a baptism: once baptized, always baptized. It's also behind Holy Orders, accounting for why a priest is always a priest. There is a process called laicization, but it also said never to erase the "indelible mark" of ordination.

I leave that to those still "in the faith."

But I do agree there is always hope for me. Maybe not exactly for the same things you are professing hope for, but I have a long list of things I still have hope for!

Comment