Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Emma Gonzalez's important speach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Yup.

When the 9/11 terrorists hijacked several planes and flew them into buildings killing nearly 3000 people, nobody blamed the planes. Instead, we rightly blamed the hijackers.

When Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel took a rented truck in Nice, France and used it to mow down hundreds of people (killing 86 and injuring 458 others), nobody blamed the truck. Instead, we rightly blamed the driver.

When terrorists exploded bombs onboard trains in Madrid, Spain in 2004 and on subways in London, England in 2005 killing 247 people (and wounding 2660), nobody blamed the bombs. Instead, we rightly blamed the bombers/terrorists.

When terrorists planted a bomb aboard Metrojet Flight 9268 in 2015 which killed 224 people when the jet crashed in the Sinai, nobody blamed the bomb. Instead, we rightly blamed the bomber/terrorist.

And yet every time there is a mass shooting a large segment in our population wants to blame the firearm rather than the perpetrator who committed the heinous act.
    I stole your post and put it on my facebook page... Sorry, well not really...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      I stole your post and put it on my facebook page... Sorry, well not really...
      Yep! Me too!
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        Yep! Me too!
        I don't think he could beat the both of us up!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          I don't think he could beat the both of us up!
          overkill.gif
          Now. Who's next?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            I simply mean that she is speaking out of grief because she witnessed this tragedy firsthand, so I expect people to lash out in anger and look for someone to blame and punish, although curiously, she seemed strangely reluctant to find moral fault with the shooter. Like I said, her criticisms are not rational, but emotion-driven liberals are acting like she spoke with unassailable logic and reason.
            I don't think she's speaking out of grief. People speaking out of grief don't talk like seasoned politicians.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              I don't think she's speaking out of grief. People speaking out of grief don't talk like seasoned politicians.
              exactly. It is like she had this speech already written and practiced. Has anyone checked if she actually is even a real student at this school?

Comment

"He would not have harmed that many students with a knife."

There have been a number of incredibly deadly knife attacks.
                Name three.

I know of no case where a single* knife-wielder caused that many casualties against able-bodied** victims.

He would not have harmed that many students with a knife.

*There was a terrorist incident in China, but that involved eight or more attackers
                **An attack in Japan had as many casualties, but the victims were disabled hospital patients
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  Name three.

I know of no case where a single* knife-wielder caused that many casualties against able-bodied** victims.

Not a knife but:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Unek

Unek worked as Police Constable or Police soldier in the Belgian Congo. His first murder spree occurred near Mahagi, Belgian Congo on January 1, 1954, where he killed 21 people and wounded many more with an axe in less than an hour and a half, before escaping and finally ending up in British Tanganyika Territory, where he assumed a false identity, found work and began a new life.

Apparently because of social misunderstandings with his boss, Unek went on a second rampage which began in the early hours of February 11, 1957. Armed with a stolen Enfield-type police rifle, 50 rounds of ammunition, and an axe, he started killing people in the area of Malampaka, a village about 40 miles southeast of Mwanza. He broke into several houses and shot anyone he saw inside.

Within twelve hours, Unek shot dead ten men, eight women, and eight children, murdered five more men with the axe, stabbed another one, burned two women and a child by trapping them in their house and setting it on fire, and strangled a 15-year-old girl, thus killing a total of 36 people.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Name three.

*There was a terrorist incident in China, but that involved eight or more attackers
                    **An attack in Japan had as many casualties, but the victims were disabled hospital patients
                    In China, where they don't have access to guns, they still have mass attacks at schools, only the weapon of choice is a blade.
                    1. On March 23, 2010, Zheng Minsheng (郑民生)[7] 41, murdered eight children with a knife in an elementary school in Nanping,[8] Fujian province.
                    2. Just a few hours after the execution of Zheng Minsheng in neighboring Fujian Province,[10] in Leizhou,[11] Guangdong another knife-wielding man named Chen Kangbing, 33 (陈康炳)[12] at Hongfu Primary School wounded 16 students and a teacher
                    3. On April 29 in Taixing,[8] Jiangsu, unemployed 47-year-old Xu Yuyuan went to Zhongxin Kindergarten[15] and stabbed 28 students and two teachers after stabbing the security guard;
                    4. An attacker named Wu Huanming (吴环明), 48, killed seven children and two adults and injured 11 other persons with a cleaver at a kindergarten in Hanzhong, Shaanxi on May 12, 2010
                    5. On 4 August 2010, 26-year-old Fang Jiantang (方建堂) slashed more than 20 children and staff with a 60 cm knife, killing 3 children and 1 teacher at a kindergarten in Zibo, Shandong province.
                    6. Eight children, all aged four or five,[23] were hurt in Minhang District, Shanghai when an employee at a child-care centre for migrant workers slashed the children who were 3 to 4 years old with a box-cutter.
                    7. In September 2011, a young girl and three adults taking their children to nursery school were killed in Gongyi,[25] Henan by 30-year-old Wang Hongbin with an axe
                    8. On 14 December 2012, a 36-year-old villager in the village of Chenpeng, Henan Province, stabbed 23 children and an elderly woman at the village's primary school as children were arriving for classes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School...10%E2%80%9312)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      In China, where they don't have access to guns, they still have mass attacks at schools, only the weapon of choice is a blade.
                      They do - and as your list shows, those attacks result in fewer fatalities than firearms attacks.

You are confirming that "He would not have harmed that many students with a knife."
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

They do - and as your list shows, those attacks result in fewer fatalities than firearms attacks.

You are confirming that "He would not have harmed that many students with a knife."
                        most firearm attacks result in very few (if any) fatalities. large numbers of deaths are an outlier for all types of attacks. firearm attacks are more common when attempting mass killings though, which is why there are more high body count incidents.

Comment

I am confirming that guns are not the problem, people are. They will use whatever is available. In many of those attacks many people were indeed killed. I am sorry if it is just a numbers game to you.

Comment

Name three.

So you named two but then pretend they don't count for some reason. Well-played.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

So you named two but then pretend they don't count for some reason. Well-played.
                              You didn't name any and are now avoiding responsibility for supporting your claim. Not played at all.
                              Last edited by Roy; 02-19-2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                I am confirming that guns are not the problem, people are. They will use whatever is available. In many of those attacks many people were indeed killed. I am sorry if it is just a numbers game to you.
                                That's despicable, Sparko.

It wasn't me that introduced the gun/knife comparison. It wasn't me that claimed other means were just as deadly. If you wanted to complain about it being treated as "just a numbers game" then you should have objected then, and not cited numbers yourself. Your post appears to be nothing but 'I'm wrong so I'll attack my opponent for something I'm guilty of'.

You are getting into the habit of objecting only to the behaviour and challenging only the claims of your ideological opponents while giving yourself and your ideological colleagues a free pass - even when it is you and your colleagues who are making the false and/or callous statements and your opponents are merely responding in kind.

That's hypocrisy, Sparko.
                                Last edited by Roy; 02-19-2018, 10:37 AM.

Comment