Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Emma Gonzalez's important speach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    So you don't think that shifting the methods used to the point that they won't be mass killings is in any way worthwhile. Just because you can't solve the problem doesn't mean you can't reduce it.

Next time some nutter slaughters a dozen schoolchildren - and there will be a next time, likely within a few months of now - remember that without your help he'd only have got three.
    I have no problem if you can find a way to keep these nutters from getting guns while protecting law-abiding citizens' rights to own guns. Don't take my guns away in some ignorant attempt to disarm a criminal or nutjob. All you do is make me more defenseless.

And in this case it seems there were LOTS of indications that this guy was a problem and nobody did a damn thing. He was being treated for mental illness, he was reported to the FBI, the school had warnings out about him and banned him carrying a backpack on campus, he posted photos of dead animals and guns on facebook and SAID he was going to shoot up a school. And yet it is the gun's fault?
    Last edited by Sparko; 02-19-2018, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      Whether one believes Jesus will return or not seems rather irrelevant when discussing how to reduce the number of people being killed.
      facepalm3.gif
      He's saying that only then can we expect a 100% solution.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

After the mass killing at train station in Kunming, China by knife-wielding attackers Smithsonian Magazine ran this interesting article:

Source: Outside the Americas, Knives Are Often the Weapon of Choice in Homicides

On Saturday, more than 130 people in a train station in Kunming, China, were injured when about ten men and women wielding knives began stabbing others at random, the BBC reports. The attackers, who authorities say might be members of a Muslim separatist group from Xinjiang province, used swords and meat cleavers to inflict damage on people lined up near the busy station’s ticket counter. Officials stated that at least 28 people have been confirmed dead as a result of the attacks, Reuters reports.

As shocking as Saturday’s attack is, knife attacks are not uncommon in China. As Quartz reports, knives are often the weapon of choice there. Here’s Quartz:

It’s unclear exactly how many knife attacks have taken place in China over the years, but the almost regular media reports of the attacks suggest that efforts to regulate the purchase of knives or punish offenders haven’t been successful.

Most recently, targets for these knife attacks have included schools and shopping centers. Last June, knife-wielding assailants killed nine policemen and 17 civilians at a police station in Lukqun Township in Xinjiang.

In July of 2013, a mentally ill man stabbed four people, leaving a two-year-old boy dead, outside of a Carrefour shop in Beijing with a knife he purchased from the store. The following month, another man stabbed several passengers on a bus in Henan province, killing three, including a 10-month old baby and a 10-year-old child.

China is not unique in its problem with knives, however. In Japan, in 2001 a janitor wielding a kitchen knife killed eight children at an Osaka school where he worked, while a man in Tokyo went on a random stabbing spree with a dagger in 2008, killing four people. In South Korea, a disgruntled man killed eight people in a stabbing spree at his apartment complex in 2008. In Germany, a drunk 16-year-old stabbed 41 people at the opening ceremony of a Berlin train station. And last year, anti-knife campaigns ramped up in the U.K after a 13-year-old girl was stabbed to death.

All of these countries have tight gun control laws, and rates of violent crime involving knives reflect that. According to the United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime, firearms account for 76 percent of homicide weapons in the Americas (30 countries), while knives make up just 10 percent of those crimes. In Europe (32 countries), on the other hand, guns are involved in 36 percent of murders and knives are involved in 43 percent. Here’s the U.N.:
        Over the whole age range, a male in the Americas is around six times more likely to be killed by a firearm than a knife. In contrast, in 17 countries in Asia, firearm and sharp object homicides are much more equally distributed in the 15 to 34 age group: while a slightly higher proportion of violent deaths are caused by firearm in each group, a male in the countries examined in Asia is almost as likely to be killed by a knife as a firearm.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

[*Story continues at link above*]

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I have no problem if you can find a way to keep these nutters from getting guns while protecting law-abiding citizens' rights to own guns. Don't take my guns away in some ignorant attempt to disarm a criminal or nutjob. All you do is make me more defenseless.
          Why? You claim murderers will use "whatever is at hand" if they don't have acces to guns and it seems you insist it will not make a difference. Why can't you or anyone else just use whatever is at hand then with the same effect?
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

It should be noted that South Africa has one of the highest murder rates in the world -- somewhere between six and seven times higher than in the U.S. A 2016 the annual Victims of Crime Survey conducted by Statistics South Africa along with South African Police Service (SAPS) statistics for 2014/15 reveals that guns are not the weapon of choice but knives followed by clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]26536[/ATTACH]
              He's saying that only then can we expect a 100% solution.
              And I am saying that even if you believe so it would seem it is still important to reduce the number of people being killed until Jesus returns. I fail to see why that should be a stupid point.
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                So if he used a truck to kill 15 or 20 people would that make you happy?
                I think you know the answer to that one, seer. And I think you missed the point.

Comment

what? I can't even follow you at this point, Charles. Stop the drugs.

I have a machete next to my bed.
                  1) It would be more honest to answer and I don't believe you don't get the point.

2) And that answers the question in what way?

Comment

Why? You claim murderers will use "whatever is at hand" if they don't have acces to guns and it seems you insist it will not make a difference. Why can't you or anyone else just use whatever is at hand then with the same effect?
                    At this point I am just going to go back to ignoring you Charles. You are a moron.

Comment

I think you know the answer to that one, seer. And I think you missed the point.
                      Please please please, let me change your name to "Peanut Gallery"

Comment

BTW: If "whatever is at hand" can be used instead of a gun then why are you so concerned about the thought of not being allowed to have one?
                        Why? That has been talked to death. Self defense is still a good and valid reason to be concerned about leftist gun grabbers.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I bet Chuckles thought it was a great idea when some schools taught the kids to throw canned soup at attackers.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/school-pr...085288082.html
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

At this point I am just going to go back to ignoring you Charles. You are a moron.
                            A moron for asking why guns are much needed in self defense but not more or less effective than whatever is at hand when used in an attack?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              Why? That has been talked to death. Self defense is still a good and valid reason to be concerned about leftist gun grabbers.
                              But if you claim guns are more effective for self-defense than whatever is at hand would it not follow that guns are also more effective in an attack? That is the point Sparko was trying to avoid. And MM seemed to make that claim until he was asked for evidence. After that he has only been playing his ususal games.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                I bet Chuckles thought it was a great idea when some schools taught the kids to throw canned soup at attackers.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/school-pr...085288082.html
                                Teaching folks to fight back if they cannot escape or hide is actually a good idea. But to tell them to bring canned food to school so they can have them at hand to throw in case of a shooter is just goofy.

Comment