Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Emma Gonzalez's important speach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emma Gonzalez's important speach

I read the beautiful words of Emma Gonzalez and thought I would share some of the most important parts with you though i ecourage you all to read the entire speach.

Every single person up here today, all these people should be home grieving. But instead we are up here standing together because if all our government and President can do is send thoughts and prayers, then it's time for victims to be the change that we need to see.
    I read something very powerful to me today. It was from the point of view of a teacher. And I quote: When adults tell me I have the right to own a gun, all I can hear is my right to own a gun outweighs your student's right to live. All I hear is mine, mine, mine, mine.
    When we've had our say with the government -- and maybe the adults have gotten used to saying 'it is what it is,' but if us students have learned anything, it's that if you don't study, you will fail. And in this case if you actively do nothing, people continually end up dead, so it's time to start doing something.
    He would not have harmed that many students with a knife.
    And how about we stop blaming the victims for something that was the student's fault, the fault of the people who let him buy the guns in the first place, those at the gun shows, the people who encouraged him to buy accessories for his guns to make them fully automatic, the people who didn't take them away from him when they knew he expressed homicidal tendencies, and I am not talking about the FBI. I'm talking about the people he lived with. I'm talking about the neighbors who saw him outside holding guns.
    If the President wants to come up to me and tell me to my face that it was a terrible tragedy and how it should never have happened and maintain telling us how nothing is going to be done about it, I'm going to happily ask him how much money he received from the National Rifle Association.

If the President wants to come up to me and tell me to my face that it was a terrible tragedy and how it should never have happened and maintain telling us how nothing is going to be done about it, I'm going to happily ask him how much money he received from the National Rifle Association.
    You want to know something? It doesn't matter, because I already know. Thirty million dollars. And divided by the number of gunshot victims in the United States in the one and one-half months in 2018 alone, that comes out to being $5,800. Is that how much these people are worth to you, Trump?
    To every politician who is taking donations from the NRA, shame on you.
    Read it all at: https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/17/u...ech/index.html
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

"He would not have harmed that many students with a knife."

There have been a number of incredibly deadly knife attacks. Also attacks with vehicles and homemade bombs (which are easier to make than most people realize).

And blaming the NRA is stupid. They had nothing to do with this, and they don't support or condone illegal gun use.

I'm sorry, I sympathize with her frame of mind of mind, but many of her points are neither novel nor rational. I find it interesting that so many people are unwilling to recognize the utter failure of "gun free zones".
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

[QUOTE=Charles;518970And how about we stop blaming the victims for something that was the student's fault, the fault of the people who let him buy the guns in the first place, those at the gun shows, the people who encouraged him to buy accessories for his guns to make them fully automatic, the people who didn't take them away from him when they knew he expressed homicidal tendencies, and I am not talking about the FBI. I'm talking about the people he lived with. I'm talking about the neighbors who saw him outside holding guns.[/QUOTE]

'Please to forcibly take away guns of homicidal maniac, common citizen!!!'

Crazy!
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

And how about we stop blaming the victims for something that was the student's fault, the fault of the people who let him buy the guns in the first place, those at the gun shows, the people who encouraged him to buy accessories for his guns to make them fully automatic, the people who didn't take them away from him when they knew he expressed homicidal tendencies, and I am not talking about the FBI. I'm talking about the people he lived with. I'm talking about the neighbors who saw him outside holding guns.

How about we stop blaming the guns and blame the guy who committed the crime?

He didn't make his gun fully automatic either.

---
        And it's "speech" not "speach"

Comment

What a lot of people don't realise is that if the teachers are armed, they can stop the shooter. In some states, faculty are exempt from gun-free zones and can carry a concealed weapon on school premises. If every teacher carried a gun and knew how to use it, how many school shooters would be successful? Yet people like this think that taking away people's right to defend themselves would somehow save lives? How does that help anyone?
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
            What a lot of people don't realise is that if the teachers are armed, they can stop the shooter. In some states, faculty are exempt from gun-free zones and can carry a concealed weapon on school premises. If every teacher carried a gun and knew how to use it, how many school shooters would be successful? Yet people like this think that taking away people's right to defend themselves would somehow save lives? How does that help anyone?
            these people claim that disarming law-abiding citizens will somehow disarm criminals.

In fact, I don't think many of these anti-gun people really care about the shootings. I think they actually welcome them as an excuse to talk about their real agenda: disarming Americans. The guns are their actual goal, not stopping the violence. These are the same liberals who glorify guns and violence in Hollywood, TV and video games.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              In fact, I don't think many of these anti-gun people really care about the shootings. I think they actually welcome them as an excuse to talk about their real agenda: disarming Americans. The guns are their actual goal, not stopping the violence. These are the same liberals who glorify guns and violence in Hollywood, TV and video games.
              To be fair, I think this mind set is not true of the rank and file liberals. It is true of the leadership in my opinion. It is all about control, not about safety.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                To be fair, I think this mind set is not true of the rank and file liberals. It is true of the leadership in my opinion. It is all about control, not about safety.
                I agree. the rank and file are just the sheep they lead around by the nose.

Comment

Kids of people with prey mentality become prey, demand entire society be rewired to suit that mentality. If this isn't cult behavior I dunno what is.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I used to make fun of Bob Jones University for letting kids keep their shotgun in their laughter. Looks like ole Bob is having the last laugh these days.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      I'm sorry, I sympathize with her frame of mind of mind
                      I don't. Pure soy, uses their own dead child as political bludgeon (something I see far more often in liberals than in conservatives, I should add).

Comment

How about we stop blaming the guns and blame the guy who committed the crime?

He didn't make his gun fully automatic either.
                        Yup.

When the 9/11 terrorists hijacked several planes and flew them into buildings killing nearly 3000 people, nobody blamed the planes. Instead, we rightly blamed the hijackers.

When Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel took a rented truck in Nice, France and used it to mow down hundreds of people (killing 86 and injuring 458 others), nobody blamed the truck. Instead, we rightly blamed the driver.

When terrorists exploded bombs onboard trains in Madrid, Spain in 2004 and on subways in London, England in 2005 killing 247 people (and wounding 2660), nobody blamed the bombs. Instead, we rightly blamed the bombers/terrorists.

When terrorists planted a bomb aboard Metrojet Flight 9268 in 2015 which killed 224 people when the jet crashed in the Sinai, nobody blamed the bomb. Instead, we rightly blamed the bomber/terrorist.

And yet every time there is a mass shooting a large segment in our population wants to blame the firearm rather than the perpetrator who committed the heinous act.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          I don't. Pure soy, uses their own dead child as political bludgeon (something I see far more often in liberals than in conservatives, I should add).
                          Shades of Paul Wellstone. His friends and family turned his funeral into a political pep rally repulsing millions of Americans a couple weeks before the 2002 election. An act which many pundits say was instrumental in allowing Republicans to gain seats in both the House and Senate -- very rare in a midterm election for an incumbent president's party to gain seats in both chambers of Congress.

Apparently Debbie Wasserman Schultz did the same thing at a memorial service for the victims of the Florida shooting but it wasn't nationally televised so few know about it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

these people claim that disarming law-abiding citizens will somehow disarm criminals.

This goes back to how some politicians are always eager to pass new laws regarding firearms but have little or no interest in enforcing them. It is almost like they want to say that these measures didn't work so confiscation is the only alternative left.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                              I simply mean that she is speaking out of grief because she witnessed this tragedy firsthand, so I expect people to lash out in anger and look for someone to blame and punish, although curiously, she seemed strangely reluctant to find moral fault with the shooter. Like I said, her criticisms are not rational, but emotion-driven liberals are acting like she spoke with unassailable logic and reason.
                              Last edited by Mountain Man; 02-18-2018, 02:14 PM.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment