Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Minorities ruining college debate tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minorities ruining college debate tournaments

Epo smiled.

http://www.theatlantic.com/education...vilege/360746/

On March 24, 2014 at the Cross Examination Debate Association (CEDA) Championships at Indiana University, two Towson University students, Ameena Ruffin and Korey Johnson, became the first African-American women to win a national college debate tournament, for which the resolution asked whether the U.S. president’s war powers should be restricted. Rather than address the resolution straight on, Ruffin and Johnson, along with other teams of African-Americans, attacked its premise. The more pressing issue, they argued, is how the U.S. government is at war with poor black communities.

In the final round, Ruffin and Johnson squared off against Rashid Campbell and George Lee from the University of Oklahoma, two highly accomplished African-American debaters with distinctive dreadlocks and dashikis. Over four hours, the two teams engaged in a heated discussion of concepts like “nigga authenticity” and performed hip-hop and spoken-word poetry in the traditional timed format. At one point during Lee’s rebuttal, the clock ran out but he refused to yield the floor. “$%@# the time!” he yelled. His partner Campbell, who won the top speaker award at the National Debate Tournament two weeks later, had been unfairly targeted by the police at the debate venue just days before, and cited this personal trauma as evidence for his case against the government’s treatment of poor African-Americans.

This year wasn't the first time this had happened. In the 2013 championship, two men from Emporia State University, Ryan Walsh and Elijah Smith, employed a similar style and became the first African-Americans to win two national debate tournaments. Many of their arguments, based on personal memoir and rap music, completely ignored the stated resolution, and instead asserted that the framework of collegiate debate has historically privileged straight, white, middle-class students.

Indeed, to prevail using the new approach, students don’t necessarily have to develop high-level research skills or marshal evidence from published scholarship. They also might not need to have the intellectual acuity required for arguing both sides of a resolution. These skills—together with a non-confrontational presentation style—are considered crucial for success in fields like law and business.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Actually when I was in high school debate some years ago, a school from the inner city was running cases that basically said that the judge should automatically vote for them because they're black.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

High school debate now often has a separate section called "champ" where people can run performative/parody arguments all they want and leave the actual debating to people who want to debate.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

High level college debates were already kind of a joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMo7VHeoadQ

It's all about talking as fast as possible with intermittent spasms for good measure.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Sigh....
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

By the way, it's really not just minority students who pull shenanigans in debate. People hijack the event for causes other than race.

Comment

I guess we can see where the next batch of tweb trolls is going to come from.

Comment

Those kids are going to have some pretty tough acts to follow, as mulattos can do this as well or better than black people:

This part of the article was a laugh, though:

Indeed, to prevail using the new approach, students don’t necessarily have to develop high-level research skills or marshal evidence from published scholarship. They also might not need to have the intellectual acuity required for arguing both sides of a resolution. These skills—together with a non-confrontational presentation style—are considered crucial for success in fields like law and business.
                  Those who succeed most wildly in law and business in the present age, or indeed in a whole lot of other ages, really aren't necessarily those who specialize in gathering quotes, presenting impartial arguments, or being non-confrontational in presentation. Those skills may make a good secretary to someone who actually does the necessary work, but i suppose this is what happens when you let women take over colleges.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                    but i suppose this is what happens when you let women take over colleges.
                    We have special re-education camps for heretics like you!
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

As to the rest of the article, Porter says it way better than I could:

Originally posted by Porter
                      Of course to most whites all of this will seem tragic and absurd. A once cherished institution used to prepare young minds for adulthood, now a tool of Afro fantasy whoring. And, of course, you pay the bill. As whites are shunted aside, their societal magic evaporates as the mist.

Though from the perspective of these Africans-in-America, it is not preparatory work without utility. For when so much of black wealth, black health, and simple black eating is contingent on preferences and transfers from whitey, the wee blacklings are far better served mastering the mechanisms of extracting these concessions than in muddling through differential equations. Math will probably not provide Goofname with a lifestyle to which he would like to grow accustomed; mau mauing whitey demonstrably will.

And so they educate their young according to their own temperament, abilities, and return on investment. Do we expect anything different with our money?
                      Reminds me, I need to ask Mickiel what his Goof name is.

Comment

Here's an article defending this crap: http://www.salon.com/2014/05/13/%E2%...ium=socialflow

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          Here's an article defending this crap: http://www.salon.com/2014/05/13/%E2%...ium=socialflow
                          It's the most straightforward mode of black argument: society ain't black enuff!

In the final round, the Oklahoma team, who took the affirmative side, offered a performative argument that “war powers should not be waged against niggas.” Using the colloquial form of the n-word, they sought to disrupt the very assumptions of the resolution, by placing the relationship between race and U.S. militarism front and center.

The intrinsic moxie and audacity of this kind of argument exposes the flaws in traditional forms of debate performativity. In part, they demonstrate that an investment in cool, detached, dispassionate forms of speech about political matters of such import could in their own way be considered pathological and imperialist.
                          This girl is basically playing media mulatto C-3PO, sort of like Piers Morgan played for Rachel Jeantel.

"EDITED BY A MODERATOR

"His high exaltedness the great Jabba the Hutt would request that you refrain from traditional judgments of debate performativity in our use of authentic colloquialisms and consider checking your privilege."

Then again, the media has been playing this game with America far more artfully ever since the Civil Rights era. All you're seeing now is what happens when the role of C-3PO is played by someone a little too honest for the game of deceptive diplomacy.
                          Last edited by Catholicity; 05-16-2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment