Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several times, lately, I found something a little cheaper online from a website other than Amazon.

HOWEVER, my Amazon Prime includes free 2 day shipping, and the shipping charges on the "cheaper" price at an alternative site is usually offset by Amazon's free shipping.

So, more than a few times, lately, when I find something cheaper elsewhere, I go ahead and create a user account with that merchant, put that item in my 'shopping cart', then log out and wait.

Within a day, I'll get a "welcome coupon" for 15% off, or so, and I wait another day or two, and the deal might even be sweeter.

The key is --- WAIT!!!! If you're not in a hurry to get something, you can often get it cheaper by the "sign up, shopping cart it and wait" strategy!

The most current example is some shooting supplies from MidwayUSA. The item I wanted to buy was $7 cheaper than I could get on Amazon, but with $14 shipping. I just received an email from Midway for "$15 off your next order" plus FREE SHIPPING!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Good tip. I think I will go try it with some software I have been wanting to get. I got a discount coupon in the mail a few months ago but when I decided to bite, the price had gone back up. I have been waiting for another sale but maybe if I do the shopping cart thing they might send me a discount.

Comment

Well they didn't have a "cart" just a buy form, but they did have a contact link, so I send a nice email to them explaining how I can't afford the full price and missed out on the coupon, and would they consider sending me a coupon code so I can buy it at the discounted price.

We will see.

--
      by the way, the software is the http://www.Plex.tv media center (you might be interested in it too)
      It normally costs $119.99 for the lifetime pass, but I had a coupon for $75 that expired.
      Last edited by Sparko; 02-20-2018, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Good tip. I think I will go try it with some software I have been wanting to get. I got a discount coupon in the mail a few months ago but when I decided to bite, the price had gone back up. I have been waiting for another sale but maybe if I do the shopping cart thing they might send me a discount.
        Yeah, I think some of them have their sites programmed to catch those on the "almost bit" list. It's worked for a number of sites in the past, but just lately, I've had even better results.

I'll check out plex.tv
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Yeah, I think some of them have their sites programmed to catch those on the "almost bit" list. It's worked for a number of sites in the past, but just lately, I've had even better results.

I'll check out plex.tv
          The free version is pretty good. The pay version just gives you extras like being able to use a tuner card as a PVR or live TV. There are also plex extensions for Roku and Fire TV. Basically it manages your media on your PC and serves it up to various devices like your phone, the Roku, FireTV, or PC. You can even connect over the internet to watch your shows on your network from anywhere.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X