Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Red Dwarf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Dwarf

OK Red Dwarf is one of my all time favorite British comedies.

I just now learned that it is back on. Has been for a couple of years.

The first run had 8 seasons back in the 90's. I thought that was it.

Apparently there was a special in 2009 called "return to Earth" and then it got picked back up again on the UK Channel "Dave" in 2011 and has been running for 3 years now.

Smeg!

It is available on Amazon Video but you have to pay an extra charge for the "Britbox" channel. It is also available on Netflix DVD and I just put it on my queue.

Not surprised a bit - it's the show that refuses to die.

Go Cat, Go!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

If you're in trouble he will save the day
      He's brave and he's fearless come what may
      Without him the mission would go astray
      He's Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer
      Without him life would be much dimmer

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
      "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
      Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
        If you're in trouble he will save the day
        He's brave and he's fearless come what may
        Without him the mission would go astray
        He's Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer
        Without him life would be much dimmer

Comment

I simply don't get this show, or the love for it. I watched the first 3 or 4 seasons, and didn't find any of it funny. Maybe it's one of those, "you had to be there" sort of things. Like, if you had watched it when it first aired (or near to) the humor was funny then, but not so much today, or maybe I just don't get that sort of humor.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            I simply don't get this show, or the love for it. I watched the first 3 or 4 seasons, and didn't find any of it funny. Maybe it's one of those, "you had to be there" sort of things. Like, if you had watched it when it first aired (or near to) the humor was funny then, but not so much today, or maybe I just don't get that sort of humor.
            Since I'm only 25 and I love Red Dwarf, I doubt it's a "first run" sort of thing.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
              Since I'm only 25 and I love Red Dwarf, I doubt it's a "first run" sort of thing.
              Hmm. Just curious then, what about it stands out as funny to you? Is it the slapstick, the characters? Maybe the semi-surreal nature of silly characters lost in space? The jokes themselves just seem really obvious, and I have a hard time watching shows with canned laughter anymore.

Comment

Hmm. Just curious then, what about it stands out as funny to you? Is it the slapstick, the characters? Maybe the semi-surreal nature of silly characters lost in space? The jokes themselves just seem really obvious, and I have a hard time watching shows with canned laughter anymore.
                You're thinking 'Space Balls' when it's more 'Mystery Science Theater'. They know we're in on the jokes - we know they know - the fun is in seeing just how far into Keystone they can go. Thus far, sanity is still running for its life.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  You're thinking 'Space Balls' when it's more 'Mystery Science Theater'. They know we're in on the jokes - we know they know - the fun is in seeing just how far into Keystone they can go. Thus far, sanity is still running for its life.
                  I'm definitely not thinking Space Balls. I like other British comedies of the era. I was a huge Black Adder and The Young Ones fan, and The Young Ones is definitely a "we know you know" sort of comedy. I don't know. Maybe it's the characters that rub me the wrong way. I'm not a huge fan of MST3K either, so maybe you're on to something.

Comment

I'm definitely not thinking Space Balls. I like other British comedies of the era. I was a huge Black Adder and The Young Ones fan, and The Young Ones is definitely a "we know you know" sort of comedy. I don't know. Maybe it's the characters that rub me the wrong way. I'm not a huge fan of MST3K either, so maybe you're on to something.
                    Absolutely loved Black Adder but the first season of Young Ones was the pits. I didn't see it until after I saw the second one. If I had seen them first I would have never made it through two episodes.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Absolutely loved Black Adder but the first season of Young Ones was the pits. I didn't see it until after I saw the second one. If I had seen them first I would have never made it through two episodes.
                      You did better than I did - Loved BA (and still enjoy watching Tony Robinson's documentaries - the juxtaposition is priceless) but never made it past the previews for the Young Ones.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Eh, I meant Space Balls in the sense that it did actually have a plot and followed some plot logic. RD throws logic out and the plot along with it - a lot like early silent comedies that really have a reality all their own.

To be honest, I didn't care for RD the first few times I saw it. Oddly, I started to like Rimmer - and got lucky and hit the rerun cycle close to the beginning so it made a little more sense (until it threw continuity out with logic - but by then, I didn't care.)
                        Last edited by Teallaura; 02-20-2018, 09:00 PM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

You just lack a sense of humor.

Comment

Anyone watch the unaired American version of Red Dwarf? Now THAT was horrible and not funny at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              You just lack a sense of humor.
                              probably

Comment