Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Wage Vs Automation

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    Even though I'm an introvert, I always choose not to use the kiosks wherever I go. Partially, so that people continue to have jobs, and that partially so that the payroll taxes still go to the state. I support bills that propose an automation tax to make up for the lost revenue from fired human workers. Flame away!
    Ummmm.... you really think that NOT using a kiosk that's already installed is going to prevent managers from laying off people that the kiosks have already replaced?

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Ummmm.... you really think that NOT using a kiosk that's already installed is going to prevent managers from laying off people that the kiosks have already replaced?
    Nope. It is my personal, if pointless, protest.
    "Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the
    thankless sea?"

3. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    Nope. It is my personal, if pointless, protest.
    That's fair! I have some of those.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't eat out much. That said, if I went to one of these places and there were both automated kiosks and human clerks, I would pick whichever would get me my order the fastest (and then invariably be wrong, as the other line always moves faster).
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

6. Amen Cow Poke, Jedidiah, One Bad Pig, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    I don't eat out much. That said, if I went to one of these places and there were both automated kiosks and human clerks, I would pick whichever would get me my order the fastest (and then invariably be wrong, as the other line always moves faster).
    The old traffic line paradox. The other traffic line always seems to be moving better so you switch, then the new line you're in is slower than the first one.
    "Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the
    thankless sea?"

8. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    I love those stores where there are multiple check-out stations, but a single line leading to the 'bunch' of them, and whoever's "next" gets the first available check-out person. One of the stores even has a little "pulpit" where an employee watches the stations, and tells the person next in line "station 12, please".

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I can take automated ordering systems in a fast food restaurant.

But I absofreakinglutely HATE the automated checkout lines* at the supermarket. I refuse to use them if I have more than a handful of items. I much rather have a cute girl check me out. She is faster and more efficient than I can be at the automated stand and I get someone else to do the bagging for me.

*To be honest, they are not really even automated. They are ME-ated. They are forcing me to do the labor for free and not even giving me a discount!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I can take automated ordering systems in a fast food restaurant.

But I absofreakinglutely HATE the automated checkout lines at the supermarket. I refuse to use them if I have more than a handful of items. I much rather have a cute girl check me out. She is faster and more efficient than I can be at the automated stand and I get someone else to do the bagging for me.
    It only SEEMS like she's faster cause you're so busy gazing at her beauty, and you don't notice all her double-scans and triple pricing cause... cause you're gazing at her beauty instead of watching the kaching kaching kaching.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    *To be honest, they are not really even automated. They are ME-ated. They are forcing me to do the labor for free and not even giving me a discount!
    But, think of it this way... when you are scanning your own groceries, you are being checked out by their very best and brightest employee!

13. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    It only SEEMS like she's faster cause you're so busy gazing at her beauty, and you don't notice all her double-scans and triple pricing cause... cause you're gazing at her beauty instead of watching the kaching kaching kaching.
    what? did you says something?