Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Poll: Most Americans now support GOP tax law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Most Americans now support GOP tax law

Hey, Gloom and Doomers.... more bad news....

The Republican tax cut law, which once appeared overwhelmingly unpopular, is now supported by a narrow majority of Americans, according to a SurveyMonkey poll published in the NY Times.

Support is at 51% overall (up from 37% in December), 89% among Republicans and 19% among Democrats.

Why it matters: Republicans see selling the tax cuts as perhaps the most important part of preserving the congressional majorities in the 2018 midterms.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Democrats can't even appreciate extra money in their wallets if it came from a Republican idea...
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Democrats can't even appreciate extra money in their wallets if it came from a Republican idea...
      Right, I got a 1,300 dollar a year raise from the tax cut - what is not to like!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

The Republican tax cut law, which once appeared overwhelmingly unpopular, is now supported by a narrow majority of Americans, according to a SurveyMonkey poll published in the NY Times.

Support is at 51% overall (up from 37% in December), 89% among Republicans and 19% among Democrats.

Why it matters: Republicans see selling the tax cuts as perhaps the most important part of preserving the congressional majorities in the 2018 midterms.
        From this morning:
        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        This is like the survey conducted by Reuters where they cannot find many people who have been positively effected by the recent tax cut. Of course this is no surprise since it doesn't go in effect until next month.
        And now a bit over half way through "next month" the New York Times is reporting that tax cut, which once was overwhelmingly unpopular thanks to incessant negative coverage by the MSM, is now supported by a narrow majority of Americans (up from 37% in December to 51% today). I'll bet that number will continue to grow as more companies continue to give raises, bonuses and increase in benefits because of the tax cuts and as Americans continue filing their income taxes.

Just sayin'

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

From this morning:

Just sayin'
          So, you're repeating what I say, just before I say it, eh?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, you're repeating what I say, just before I say it, eh?
            something like that.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The bill is on it’s way.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

well if your paycheck is a welfare check and you don't even pay taxes, you probably don't really care about the tax cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  The bill is on it’s way.
                  Why did I just have flashbacks of Schoolhouse Rock?

Comment

That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Ah, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Another poll has the tax cuts at 44% favorable which is basically stagnant since January. Besides, most people aren't seeing enough of a difference in their checks for it to even matter. The wealthy and the Corporations on the other hand are making out like bandits, and it's all only going to cost us about $1.5 trillion added to the debt. Btw, democrats just took back 2 more seats from republicans in Conneticutt and New Hampshire last night which makes 39 in the last several months and even your buddy, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz looks to be in danger of losing his seat to a Democrat, oh my! So the tax cuts don't seem to be a factor at this point. Texas may be turning blue, CP.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Ah, I wouldn't get your hopes up.
                        You can't.

Comment

Conjunction Junction what's your function?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Ah, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Another poll has the tax cuts at 44% favorable which is basically stagnant since January. Besides, most people aren't seeing enough of a difference in their checks for it to even matter. The wealthy and the Corporations on the other hand are making out like bandits, and it's all only going to cost us about $1.5 trillion added to the debt. Btw, democrats just took back 2 more seats from republicans in Conneticutt and New Hampshire last night which makes 39 in the last several months and even your buddy, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz looks to be in danger of losing his seat to a Democrat, oh my! So the tax cuts don't seem to be a factor at this point. Texas may be turning blue, CP.
                            Texas turning blue, eh?

Democrats Sing The Texas Blues

Tuesday’s Texas primaries were supposed to show “rising Democratic enthusiasm,” in the words of National Public Radio’s Jessica Taylor, following reports that more Democrats were participating in early voting than Republicans in the state’s 15 most populous counties. “Such a swell in a bulwark red state could be an even more ominous sign for Republicans nationally,” Ms. Taylor wrote.

She was not alone. The New York Times’s Nate Cohn suggested that “surging Democratic tallies” in early voting may be “a sign that Texas may emerge as a fairly competitive state in the mid-term elections.” Vox’s Tara Golshan wrote that Democrats hope to “make Texas blue—or at the very least, purple” and that “a massive surge in voter enthusiasm is giving them hope.”

But with all the votes tallied, it turned out to be a case of “never mind,” as Gilda Radner, playing Emily Litella, used to say on “Saturday Night Live.”

Not only did more Texas Republicans (804,581) vote early than Democrats (565,355), but more Republicans than Democrats turned out Election Day. There were 1,543,674 total votes in the Republican primary—the GOP’s highest midterm total ever—compared with 1,037,779 in the Democratic primary. This gap of nearly 506,000 is less than the GOP’s margin in the 2014 and 2010 primaries (roughly 783,000 and 804,000, respectively), but still comparatively healthy.

Comment

Conjunction Junction what's your function?

I loved these as a kid. They always played on Sat. mornings when I was watching cartoons.

Comment