Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Antifa protest gets metal concert cancelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antifa protest gets metal concert cancelled

Oh, this is a good one. Fair warning: this OP is going to be flippant, because I find the whole situation amusing. Also a couple swear words in quotes in the linked story.

Norwegian black metal band Taake was set to play a show in New York on March 24th, but an antifa group got the show cancelled because they latched on to two things, apparently:

1. The frontman of the band painted a swastika on himself sometime in like 2007, in a show in Germany, and
    2. they have "anti-Islam" lyrics.

Number 1 is true. AFAIK so is number 2, but I haven't looked into the band's lyrics personally so can't say for sure.

I find this hilarious.

1a. Taake isn't a Nazi band. They aren't Nazi sympathizers, white supremacists, Trump supporters, what have you. He did the swastika thing, once, purely to be provocative. It worked! This is a black metal band: they want to offend you.
    2a. "anti-Islamic," LOL. Black metal bands have been spewing anti-Christian lyrics and outright blasphemy for like 30 years. It's about dadgum time they shared some of the love.

As someone who listens to and can appreciate a wide variety of extreme metal, this is genuinely funny to me. "Nazi band?" "anti-Islamic?"

Go for it, Antifa: expand your war to include extreme metal bands. I can't wait.

(Friendly, yet obvious suggestion: don't look up Taake's music unless you want to listen to something very abrasive.)

dis gon b gud.jpg
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

I thought the DNC muzzled antifa after the bad publicity the latter generated started washing back on them

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

antifa is worldwide; it is not beholden to any one national political party.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I'll wait patiently for Antifa to take black metal bands to task for anti-Christian lyrics.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          I'll wait patiently for Antifa to take black metal bands to task for anti-Christian lyrics.
          I'll wait for the largest black hole in the universe to evaporate over the course of the next 10^100 years. A million dollars says you end up waiting longer.

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
            I'll wait for the largest black hole in the universe to evaporate over the course of the next 10^100 years. A million dollars says you end up waiting longer.
            If I was a betting man...yeah I still wouldn't take that bet because it'd be basically giving you a million dollars.

Comment

This isn't actually that uncommon in the underground music scenes. I'd be surprised if this wasn't the only band in the genre hit. A popular band in the Post-Punk/Goth/Neo-Folk/Martial Industrial scene, Death in June, routinely comes under fire by folks who are (or would today be considered) "Antifa". There's better reason to suspect Death in June of being a neo-fascist band than Taake, from the sounds of it. DiJ have for years played around with fascist imagery, and themes, and Douglas P., the project's lead, has never shied away from admitting his fascination with Ernst Rohm and the Brown Shirts, but has adamantly stated that he isn't a Nazi, does not embrace any Nazi ideas or values, and that his fascination is merely historical in nature. Douglas P is openly gay, and under his previous far left 70s punk band, Crisis, was a contributing member of the Rock Against Racism movement, and has played a number of Death in June shows in Israel, but whenever he attempts to play in the US, he gets big protests at his shows closing a lot of them down. It doesn't help that, by essentially creating the genre "Neo-Folk", there have been more than a few bands that are actually Nazi/Heathenist who have since been influenced by him, and who took his fascination with pre-WWII Nazi Germany a lot more seriously than he did. I don't particularly feel sorry for the guy...he put that sort of thing on himself.

On the other hand, you have artists like Lemmy, Siouxsie Sioux, Sid Vicious, and David Bowie, who all played around with Nazi imagery for shock value, or showed a fascination with Nazism at some point or another, who my or may not have renounced that imagery/fascination, but who the public has mostly forgiven, or looked the other way about.

Honestly, I doubt extreme metal audiences are going to be much of a threat to Antifa types. I don't expect to see metalheads and Antifa kids fighting in band parking lots or anything. Antifa is just a bunch of kids anyways...more than a few of which are probably metalheads themselves.
              Last edited by Adrift; 02-21-2018, 02:10 PM.

Comment

... As someone who listens to and can appreciate a wide variety of extreme metal, .....
                Yeah, yeah, but can you whistle the tune?
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Oh, this is a good one. Fair warning: this OP is going to be flippant, because I find the whole situation amusing. Also a couple swear words in quotes in the linked story.

Norwegian black metal band Taake was set to play a show in New York on March 24th, but an antifa group got the show cancelled because they latched on to two things, apparently:

1. The frontman of the band painted a swastika on himself sometime in like 2007, in a show in Germany, and
                  2. they have "anti-Islam" lyrics.

Number 1 is true. AFAIK so is number 2, but I haven't looked into the band's lyrics personally so can't say for sure.

I find this hilarious.

1a. Taake isn't a Nazi band. They aren't Nazi sympathizers, white supremacists, Trump supporters, what have you. He did the swastika thing, once, purely to be provocative. It worked! This is a black metal band: they want to offend you.
                  2a. "anti-Islamic," LOL. Black metal bands have been spewing anti-Christian lyrics and outright blasphemy for like 30 years. It's about dadgum time they shared some of the love.

As someone who listens to and can appreciate a wide variety of extreme metal, this is genuinely funny to me. "Nazi band?" "anti-Islamic?"

Go for it, Antifa: expand your war to include extreme metal bands. I can't wait.

(Friendly, yet obvious suggestion: don't look up Taake's music unless you want to listen to something very abrasive.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26570[/ATTACH]
                  Antifa already pulled this stunt once with some other black metal band named Marduk.

... But apparently, collaborating with Juggalos is totally okay to do for Antifascists.

And now that I think about it, that would be an awesome tag-team cage match (Antifa and Juggalos vs Marduk and Taake) that I would TOTALLY pay to watch.
                  Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                    Antifa already pulled this stunt once with some other black metal band named Marduk.

... But apparently, collaborating with Juggalos is totally okay to do for Antifascists.

And now that I think about it, that would be an awesome tag-team cage match (Antifa and Juggalos vs Marduk and Taake) that I would TOTALLY pay to watch.
                    Now that's just downright unfair.

Comment

The band recently made an official statement on facebook. I think it's worth reading.

Source: Taake Official facebook page

It is with great regret that we have to inform you that Taake's US Tour has been cancelled. Despite all those incredible people who stepped up and tried to help us save the tour, and to whom we are more grateful than we can express, time and logistics are just not on our side. It was not our wish to cancel, but the decision was forced on us by the illegal activities of Antifa and its supporters who applied pressure on venues and promoters to cancel shows. Pressure, it has to be said, that has frequently been accompanied with threats of violence both towards those involved in the organisation and towards any fans attending (not to mention the bands who would be playing). Why these threats are not reported to the police, we don't know.

We have explained on many, many occasions, the history behind what caused the problems, and there are plenty of articles in the unbiased press and on social media where you can read the truth of it, but just for the sake of clarity Taake is not now, has never been, and never will be a Nazi band. What we want to address here is the cancellation of the tour itself.

This cancellation is unfortunate in many ways, not just for the bands who were going to take part. Not just for the ordinary working Americans with families to support and bills to pay who have lost much needed income because of it. Not just for the fans who wanted to see the bands. Not just for music fans in general. But, also, and more importantly, for America as a whole.

Why? Because it is the ultimate demonstration of how, through the dissemination of lies, misinformation and unfounded accusations, along with credible threats of violence, a small minority of left wing agitators are able to force their agenda on the majority, and deprive music fans of their freedom to attend concerts and go about their day to day activities without the fear of reprisals and retaliation.

And these agitators won't stop once they have destroyed the soft targets from Europe and other parts of the world. Their next targets will be American music, American art, American literature, American theatre, American cinema. Anything, in fact, that does not adhere strictly to their views. And if this reminds you of the McCarthy witch hunts, it is because that is EXACTLY what it is like.

Whilst none of us blame venues for cancelling because they are afraid of violence, we do deplore the excuses presented by some of them. The desire to "protect" their audience and staff, to create "safe spaces" is not a need brought about by the bands involved, nor their fans. It is the masked thugs hiding behind the banner of Antifa and other organisations like them, who are doing all the threatening. And maybe we should also remind these venues that so many of the musical genres today exist due to those other small venues back in the day who dared stand up to threats and gave a voice to those musicians who brought us Blues and Jazz - the basis of so much of today's music.

We would also like to speak out about celebrities like Talib Kweli, who was unfortunate enough to have allowed himself to be played by the lies spread by Antifa and who, as a result, issued statements that are libellous and slanderous. His heart may have misguidedly been in the right place, but his brain, and his legal advisors, were not. Had he bothered to check the facts he would have realised that he had put himself in a position of looking like someone who doesn't know, or understand, or even care about, all the facts, and who is easily manipulated by others to dance to their tune.

We should also mention those members of the press who failed to fact check and did not bother to contact us, or anyone else for that matter, for our side of the story. They simply went right ahead and printed libellous statements. This is irresponsible journalism at its worst, and we can't just single out inexperienced editors of webzines. Complicit in this are long-established and (once) respected publications. Their actions show the utter contempt they have for facts and the disrespect they have for their readers.

Ending on a positive note, we really do need thank those who stood by us, and especially the venues who refused to be cowed, and those that stepped in offering us alternatives for cancelled shows. We have had messages from all over the world, and from people of all political and religious persuasions, offering not just their support, but also offering their help. And these are not just our fans. We have been contacted by people who admit that they had never heard of us, or that they hate black metal, or that they hate Taake, but have nevertheless felt compelled to let us know of the disgust they feel at the way Antifa, and their like, demand slavish adherence to their agenda, and punish anyone who defies them, riding roughshod over the freedoms of the American people to decide for themselves.

You, my friends, do not need to apologise for the lies and actions of a fringe group. You are the majority, you are the ones who refuse to bow your heads to those who would dictate how you live your lives, and who attempt to restrict your freedoms - you are the ones who can do something about it.
                      Taake

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

The band recently made an official statement on facebook. I think it's worth reading.

Source: Taake Official facebook page

It is with great regret that we have to inform you ... ... you are the ones who can do something about it.
                        Taake

© Copyright Original Source

I'm not gonna lie. I was totally rolling my eyes about the rock-band drama.

And then I read it. And Taake is right. Good on them and good on you for keeping us appraised.
                        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                        Save me, save me"

Comment