Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

An infinite series of finite causes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Being founded on “the general principles” is not the same as being founded upon Christianity as such.

Adams also said: “the United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature. . . . [In] the formation of the American governments . . . it will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of heaven. . . . These governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses”. John Adams

And:

“Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind”. John Adams.
    I wish you would give citations so I can find those in context, since according to Adam "the general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were the general principles of Christianity." I know where that quote came from (and I linked it). So you can not divorce Christianity from the Founding of this nation.

You have not shown this. And it is not the case. The DOI refers (once) to “nature’s laws” and “natures god” as reinforced by John Adams (and others) above. The Constitution does not refer to God of reference Christianity at all.
    Tass, are you being deceptive on purpose? Where did Jefferson borrow the term "nature's God" from? Where did they get the idea that rights came from God? And no the DoI references God three times:

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men...

...And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor

The members of the Continental Congresses did a lot that was subsequently invalidated by the purely secular Constitution which superseded them...as has been demonstrated by the rulings of the SCOTUS when challenged.
    THAT WAS NOT MY POINT TASS.Why would these Christian hating Founders, these so called Deists, use tax monies to print and distribute bibles, institute the chaplain service, impose Christian morality on the Navy and Army, us tax monies to evangelize Indians, call for national days of thanksgiving invoking, not only the God of the Bible, but Jesus Christ specifically?

especially those with things of substance to contribute such as Shunya.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Being founded on “the general principles” is not the same as being founded upon Christianity as such.

Adams also said: “the United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature. . . . [In] the formation of the American governments . . . it will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of heaven. . . . These governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses”. John Adams

And:

“Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind”. John Adams.

You have not shown this. And it is not the case. The DOI refers (once) to “nature’s laws” and “natures god” as reinforced by John Adams (and others) above. The Constitution does not refer to God of reference Christianity at all.

The members of the Continental Congresses did a lot that was subsequently invalidated by the purely secular Constitution which superseded them...as has been demonstrated by the rulings of the SCOTUS when challenged.

It is foolish and counterproductive to put members on ignore is a discussion forum such as this, especially those with things of substance to contribute such as Shunya.
      Seer's ignore is off and on like cold and hot water at his convenience. Please as promised return to the topic of the thread. Let seer be the hamster on the wheel alone.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Seer's ignore is off and on like cold and hot water at his convenience. Please as promised return to the topic of the thread. Let seer be the hamster on the wheel alone.
        Oh yes, I too been "punished" at times by said person. And, as promised, I won't respond further to his repetitious, self-serving nonsense.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Oh yes, I too been "punished" at times by said person. And, as promised, I won't respond further to his repetitious, self-serving nonsense.
          Everything I said Tass was backed up, and you know it. And why would I deal with Shuny who uses deception: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...rlier-universe
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment