Page 14 of 82 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 814

Thread: An infinite series of finite causes.

  1. #131
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,355
    Amen (Given)
    2062
    Amen (Received)
    1421
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbballman31 View Post
    QUOTE ME FROM ANY LOGIC WEBSITE, or ANY LOGIC TEXTBOOK,
    Look it up yourself, you lazy sod. The Argument from Ignorance is a logical fallacy that claims the truth of a premise is based on the fact that it has not (yet) been proven false...as per the premise for the WLC’s Kalam Cosmological Argument as previously presented by you.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  2. #132
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,355
    Amen (Given)
    2062
    Amen (Received)
    1421
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbballman31 View Post
    Testing is left undefined.
    So “testing is left undefined” in establishing the premise of a metaphysical deductive argument. Seriously!

    IOW it’s an assumption which cannot be established as ‘true’; therefore neither can its conclusion be established as true.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  3. #133
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,355
    Amen (Given)
    2062
    Amen (Received)
    1421
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbballman31 View Post
    And on this stupid commentary. Awwwww. Is little Tassy-wassy getting his feeeling hurt because Christians don't swallow down his ignorant ranting on stuff he knows nothing about. Oh, I'll show those Christians . . . . I'm not gonna listen to reason and logic because the Christians are just meeeaaaan to me. Oh, grow the heck up, ya big baby. You obviously have a huge, continental chip on your shoulder, and any semblance of objectivity has gone down the toilet, lost in the vast, labyrinth of a plumbing system that's your screwed up subconscious. You're on that absurd new-atheism bandwagon, where Dawkins calls on atheist to ridicule Christians and simultaneously laying down the hypocritical double-standard of Christians just needing to take it on the chin and put up with your bullying tactics. Go take a walk, and kick a can down the road, you sensitive little wuss.
    Hi Lil Pix, I thought it was you. I think we'll end this nonsense right now.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  4. #134
    tWebber mattbballman31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    192
    Amen (Given)
    2
    Amen (Received)
    60
    You're so entangled in the tar of your own stupidity, it's actually hilarious to watch you become a meme.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Look it up yourself, you lazy sod. The Argument from Ignorance is a logical fallacy that claims the truth of a premise is based on the fact that it has not (yet) been proven false...as per the premise for the WLC’s Kalam Cosmological Argument as previously presented by you.
    I KNOW what it is, you retarded dolt. Nice selective quoting, dishonest child. I asked you to SHOW (your favorite teddy-bear word you cuddle with every night with your new-atheism-security-blanket) that the first premise commits the fallacy. And you don't. Of course. Like clockwork. I presented reasons for it, and gave you a standard of demonstration in accordance with every, single universal generalization as treated in a nomological model of explanation. You ignored it, because you're a sad, disgustingly pathetic deceiver.

    So “testing is left undefined” in establishing the premise of a metaphysical deductive argument. Seriously!
    Decontextualized fake news, liar. I said YOU left the subject (a very complicated one) of what "testing" consists in undefined. If it's in accordance with the normal way universal generalizations are substantiated in the deductive-nomological version of explanation, which is a kind of covering-law model of explanation, then it's fine. And it is. The first premise breaks none of these methodological rules, which I already said, and which you ignored, because you're a disgusting, lying deceiver.

    IOW it’s an assumption which cannot be established as ‘true’; therefore neither can its conclusion be established as true.
    Nope, you're an ignorant, lying deceiver. It's not JUST an assumption, it's a self-evident universal generalization constantly confirmed in experience KNOWN via a priori intuition, a legitimate source of knowledge. I'll quote myself, which you'll ignore:

    1 CANNOT be demonstratively proven or SHOWN (as you like to say). It can be rendered more probable or plausible than its denial. That's it. The SAME EXACT RULES APPLY to premise 1 in Kalam. BOTH premises are known a priori. Each NEW and our PAST experiences render it more and more probable, and its denial less and less plausible. But the generalization CAN'T BE SHOWN with DEMONSTRATIVE CERTAINTY, which DOESN'T MEAN we can't KNOW IT, or have GREAT REASONS for believing it. IF YOU THINK this stupid shown-point does ANYTHING to metaphysical arguments that have these so-called AXIOMS for premises, this would apply to EVERY, SINGLE deductive/nomological version of the covering-law or inferential model of explanation used by theoretical and experimental physicists EVERY, SINGLE day. Good luck with that one!


    Hi Lil Pix, I thought it was you. I think we'll end this nonsense right now.

    DESPERATE TASS THINKS I'M A SOCK-PUPPET!!!!!!! What a freaking loser . . . He's running out of places to hide!!!
    Last edited by mattbballman31; 03-08-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    Many and painful are the researches sometimes necessary to be made, for settling points of [this] kind. Pertness and ignorance may ask a question in three lines, which it will cost learning and ingenuity thirty pages to answer. When this is done, the same question shall be triumphantly asked again the next year, as if nothing had ever been written upon the subject.
    George Horne

  5. Amen Chrawnus, MaxVel amen'd this post.
  6. #135
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,355
    Amen (Given)
    2062
    Amen (Received)
    1421
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbballman31 View Post



    Decontextualized fake news, liar. I said YOU left the subject (a very complicated one) of what "testing" consists in undefined. If it's in accordance with the normal way universal generalizations are substantiated in the deductive-nomological version of explanation, which is a kind of covering-law model of explanation, then it's fine. And it is. The first premise breaks none of these methodological rules, which I already said, and which you ignored, because you're a disgusting, lying deceiver.



    Nope, you're an ignorant, lying deceiver. It's not JUST an assumption, it's a self-evident universal generalization constantly confirmed in experience KNOWN via a priori intuition, a legitimate source of knowledge. I'll quote myself, which you'll ignore.
    It’s an axiom, i.e.

    1. A self-evident truth that requires no proof.
    2. A universally accepted principle or rule.

    IOW: it’s an assumption, regardless of accepted practice. Axioms are assumed without proof for the sake of studying the consequences that follow from them. But they remain “assumptions” nevertheless and by definition unproven. Hence the conclusions of an axiomatic-based argument cannot be proven and may well be wrong...as Aristotle found out.

    Have a nice day. I’m off. Oh, and don’t forget your meds.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  7. #136
    tWebber mattbballman31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    192
    Amen (Given)
    2
    Amen (Received)
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    It’s an axiom, i.e.

    1. A self-evident truth that requires no proof.
    2. A universally accepted principle or rule.
    I don't give a rat's behind how many times you squirt the same retarded bile, no matter how many time's I've addressed this. You're a dishonest little twerp, as everyone can see. No one on these threads should take anything you say seriously. You're nothing but a pitiful troll.

    IOW: it’s an assumption, regardless of accepted practice. Axioms are assumed without proof for the sake of studying the consequences that follow from them. But they remain “assumptions” nevertheless and by definition unproven. Hence the conclusions of an axiomatic-based argument cannot be proven and may well be wrong...as Aristotle found out.
    Already answered this. If you're not going to address the points of contention and advance the discussion, go back and attend to cleaning your room in your mommy's basement, troll.

    Have a nice day. I’m off.
    Uh, don't tell me what to do. Off? What would I care, loser?

    Oh, and don’t forget your meds.
    And don't forget the laxatives for all the mental constipation stopped up in your retarded skull!!
    Many and painful are the researches sometimes necessary to be made, for settling points of [this] kind. Pertness and ignorance may ask a question in three lines, which it will cost learning and ingenuity thirty pages to answer. When this is done, the same question shall be triumphantly asked again the next year, as if nothing had ever been written upon the subject.
    George Horne

  8. Amen MaxVel, Chrawnus amen'd this post.
  9. #137
    tWebber MaxVel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    It's hot!
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,234
    Amen (Given)
    842
    Amen (Received)
    1312
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Look it up yourself, you lazy sod.
    Homophobe.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

  10. Amen seer amen'd this post.
  11. #138
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,607
    Amen (Given)
    1228
    Amen (Received)
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbballman31 View Post
    Do you just pull this stuff out of your back-end? Don't you want to progress beyond your trite, disgustingly simple analyses of complex issues? Will you ever wake up and discover that you're ideas are a jumbled school of blind fish?

    First, 'eternal' isn't defined. Past-eternal? Future-eternal? BOTH are against the cosmological evidence.
    Second, even your vocabulary is sloppy and soaked with hopeless generalities. The possibility of an eternal universe? Possibility? Huh? Nothing is defined. Nothing is precise. One can't progress in dialogue with you. Your slippery, conniving method of communication bespeaks a disorganized and stunted mind. What KIND of possibility? What on earth are you talking about? How does this move the discussion forward? You know what else is possible? A string of fairies, hands interlocked, orbiting around all the red dwarfs in every odd-numbered galaxy in every second galactic quadrant in every galaxy, doing the "macarena" with rainbow-colored kilts. Wow. Cool. So interesting. It's possible!

    Possibility is nothing but the thin veneer of a necessary condition for the methods of theoretical physics to even get started in attempting to confirm the reality, not to mention the probability, of such a fairy-tale thesis of a past-eternal multi-verse, let alone a solitary universe. There is absolutely no cosmological evidence of a multi-verse. None. Zilch. The past-eternality is our universe, let alone a multiverse, is completely out of the question ever since the BVG theorem pretty much made it disappear over night.

    The only kind of eternality left on the table is Guth's eternal inflation, which needs mechanisms that have NEVER been confirmed or verified. Your mania for verification, I guess, only applies when the supernatural is on the table; but when it helps your pet theories, insecurities, biases, and prejudices, I guess treat methodology like a darn safety-blanket, and wish-fulfillment, cognitive dysfunction like an old, used pacifier. NO ONE CARES WHAT'S POSSIBLE in theoretical physics, ultimately. A cyclic universe is against so much cosmological evidence that I almost had milk coming out of my nose I was laughing so hard. Ever heard of cosmological eschatology? That probably wasn't discussed in the coloring books you peruse, or maybe it wasn't caught by that uncritical filter you have bolted onto that ideological fishing net you use like a goofy twat in your sorry excuse for a waterlogged canoe, where those block-quotes you try to catch are nothing but the drippy, moldy remnants of mistranslated and misapplied piffle that critical minds snicker at, due to the heedless fatuousness with which the subject-matter is clownishly handled.

    But keep it going! See if I care! Spend your whole life in the dark. Be a rotten turkey no one will remember. Actually, I bet a lot of people on here will remember you for being the mouth-breathing schlemiel you always were on these threads.

    AND ONE AMEN FROM WORLD-CLASS SCHOLAR, Dr. Dumbo Tassman. Must be so proud!
    Phfffft! Splat!!! Dribble, Dribble . . .
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  12. Amen Tassman amen'd this post.
  13. #139
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,355
    Amen (Given)
    2062
    Amen (Received)
    1421
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Phfffft! Splat!!! Dribble, Dribble . . .
    Exactly right. It's all the bombastic, grandiloquent bluster of a blowhard.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVel View Post
    Homophobe.
    ???
    Last edited by Tassman; 03-09-2018 at 12:37 AM.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  14. #140
    tWebber mattbballman31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    192
    Amen (Given)
    2
    Amen (Received)
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Phfffft! Splat!!! Dribble, Dribble . . .
    Dribble, dribble, fast break, the lane is free, shunya goes to block, not knowing he accidentally tied his shoe laces together (while lecturing everyone on how to tie their own shoes), and matt steps on shunya's fake beard, tongue out, SLAM DUNK. The crowd goes wild!!!!!

    Exactly right. It's all the bombastic, grandiloquent bluster of a blowhard.
    Shunya's one-man cheerleader, with no one in the stands, grabs his Pom Pons anyway!
    Many and painful are the researches sometimes necessary to be made, for settling points of [this] kind. Pertness and ignorance may ask a question in three lines, which it will cost learning and ingenuity thirty pages to answer. When this is done, the same question shall be triumphantly asked again the next year, as if nothing had ever been written upon the subject.
    George Horne

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •