Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Coming Blue Wave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Reminiscent of Obama's conversation with outgoing Russian president Dmitry Medvedev that Vladimir Putin in South Korea...

President Obama: "On all these issues, but particularly missile defense, this, this can be solved but it’s important for him to give me space."
    President Medvedev: "Yeah, I understand. I understand your message about space. Space for you…"
    President Obama: "This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility."
    President Medvedev: "I understand. I will transmit this information to Vladimir, and I stand with you."
    Which were words spoken by a sitting president to a leader of another country, which is actually legal, and fairly commonplace.

For a candidate and/or president-elect to do so is not. The country has one president at a time.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Which were words spoken by a sitting president to a leader of another country, which is actually legal, and fairly commonplace.
      Nobody said it was illegal.

For a candidate and/or president-elect to do so is not. The country has one president at a time.
      I believe we all know that.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm not even going to try to parse the three Brietbart articles...
        I included them just for you even though the exact same information is readily available from other sources.

...incumbents vs. unnamed opposition is likely to favor the incumbent...
        I think it's the opposite because people always picture their ideal candidate when given a generic option. Also, Republicans were behind generic Democrats until Trump's tax reform started gaining popularity.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Agreed. They would mostly place a break on some of his agenda - running out the clock until the 2020 election.
          You mean just like they are already doing now?

Comment

I think a lot of Republicans are ticked off at their representatives and senators for all this stalling. Especially with the healthcare bill which they acted like they all had worked out years ago and when it came time to do something, they flopped.

I want Republicans in congress, but I want DIFFERENT Republicans in congress. Oh how I wish for term limits. Get rid of the old has-beens. On both sides. They are so entrenched in their views that nothing ever gets done. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Yes, the pinko commie liberals who are the only ones to ever get anything done that is in the actual best interests of the people and the country in general. And when pointing fingers at pinko commies remember who it is that is defending THE RUSSIANS in their attack on our democracy. It ain't the liberals, it's the people you conservatives elected, same as in Europe.
              The only reason why the democrats are attacking the russians is because trump humiliated hillary clinton and you need a scapegoat. When China stole 22 million people's sensitive information absolutely none of this hysteria was anywhere to be found:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e0453edc4ea9

Where are the sanctions on China, if democrats care about "attacks on ARE DEMOCRACY"?

btw, obama has repeatedly launched attacks on our allies' democracies:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...n-intervention

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-fun...e-probe-finds/

where were you then?
              Last edited by Darth Executor; 02-21-2018, 02:08 PM.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Nobody said it was illegal.

I believe we all know that.
                So your point was...?
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I included them just for you even though the exact same information is readily available from other sources.
                  It would surprise me very much that you had "other sources." That claim does not align with your posting tendencies.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I think it's the opposite because people always picture their ideal candidate when given a generic option. Also, Republicans were behind generic Democrats until Trump's tax reform started gaining popularity.
                  You're guessing - as am I. If you're going to compare election possibilities, perhaps best to compare apples to apples.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    You mean just like they are already doing now?
                    Well - their brakes have a bit of slip to them. A majority would make them a little more substantive.

Comment

I think a lot of Republicans are ticked off at their representatives and senators for all this stalling. Especially with the healthcare bill which they acted like they all had worked out years ago and when it came time to do something, they flopped.

I want Republicans in congress, but I want DIFFERENT Republicans in congress. Oh how I wish for term limits. Get rid of the old has-beens. On both sides. They are so entrenched in their views that nothing ever gets done. Ever.
                      Amen! (except for the "Republicans" part. I want the government to be more balanced between the parties).

Comment

Amen! (except for the "Republicans" part. I want the government to be more balanced between the parties).
                        I want the government to be more representative of the people. The H-E-DoubleHockeySticks with the parties.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          The only reason why the democrats are attacking the russians is because trump humiliated hillary clinton and you need a scapegoat. When China stole 22 million people's sensitive information absolutely none of this hysteria was anywhere to be found:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e0453edc4ea9

Where are the sanctions on China, if democrats care about "attacks on ARE DEMOCRACY"?

btw, obama has repeatedly launched attacks on our allies' democracies:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...n-intervention

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-fun...e-probe-finds/

where were you then?
                          There is a nugget here that I can actually agree with - as amazing as that is!

It is a little two-faced of us, as a nation, to object when other governments involve themselves in our elections/leadership when we do it so regularly to other nations. Good for the goose - good for the gander. IMO, countries should keep their noses out of the internal politics of other countries.

Comment

I don't think it's so much that they're entrenched in their views but more the fact that every decision they make is with the goal of keeping themselves in power.

Comment

So we continue to have eternal gridlock?

ETA: that might not be a bad result. The less the government can get done the better it probably is for the rest of us.

Comment

It would surprise me very much that you had "other sources."
                                Watching you cry "But- but Breitbart! " is much more entertaining than surprising you.

You're guessing - as am I. If you're going to compare election possibilities, perhaps best to compare apples to apples.
                                That looks to be comparing generic Republicans with generic Democrats. My point is that prior to Trump's tax cuts, incumbent Republicans did poorly when matched against generic Democrats; now they're slightly favored. But all this theorizing is largely pointless. The only thing that will matter is how incumbent Republicans fare against actual Democrat opponents.

Comment