tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Opinions on Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    A truly great man has moved on.

I am curious, what are your view on Graham? I think that it can be phrased respectfully, even if one does disagree.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post

I am curious, what are your view on Graham? I think that it can be phrased respectfully, even if one does disagree.
    I obviously don't agree with his religious beliefs. He did appear, to me, to be one of the few televangelists who was not in it for himself, though he did amass a $25m fortune as a result of his profession. Still, I do not recall there being a scandal regarding the man. If his fortune was from the sale of his books and speaking fees, I see nothing wrong with it. If his fortune was amassed at the collection plate, my view of him would drop significantly. He certainly played a significant role as an advisor to the most powerful people on the planet.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-21-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King

Department Head
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I obviously don't agree with his religious beliefs. He did appear, to me, to be one of the few televangelists who was not in it for himself, though he did amass a $25m fortune as a result of his profession. Still, I do not recall there being a scandal regarding the man. If his fortune was from the sale of his books and speaking fees, I see nothing wrong with it. If his fortune was amassed at the collection plate, my view of him would drop significantly. He certainly played a significant role as an advisor to the most powerful people on the planet.
    If I recall the collection plate went to the churches of community he spoke in for them to use to help their community.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-21-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by RumTumTugger View Post
    If I recall the collection plate went to the churches of community he spoke in for them to use to help their community.
    That would not surprise me in the least.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

If you can truly know the trees by their fruit then there's a problem. But unlike carpe, I do have a problem with these multi-millionaire christian preachers.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am curious, what are your view on Graham?
    A genuinely committed follower of Christ...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

8. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    But unlike carpe, I do have a problem with these multi-millionaire christian preachers.
    Of course Jim, like all leftists you are terminally envious of any one who has more than you...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

10. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    When he was caught saying he felt newspapers had a leftist jewish overinfluence and got caught after a bunch of nixon tapes were released he didnt hide or cover it up. He immediatly admitted that what he said was wrong.

He was commited to his wife, son, calling, and lord. He seemed like a hero to me.

12. Amen Cow Poke, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He was simple baptist preacher. Never did any of that prosperity, health and wealth stuff. Never showed off. Never tried to sell you anything other than Jesus. He just preached the gospel and asked people to accept Jesus. And they did by the thousands.

14. Amen Cow Poke, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.