Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Opinions on Billy Graham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Billy Graham

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    A truly great man has moved on.

I am curious, what are your view on Graham? I think that it can be phrased respectfully, even if one does disagree.

Originally posted by simplicio View Post

I am curious, what are your view on Graham? I think that it can be phrased respectfully, even if one does disagree.
    I obviously don't agree with his religious beliefs. He did appear, to me, to be one of the few televangelists who was not in it for himself, though he did amass a $25m fortune as a result of his profession. Still, I do not recall there being a scandal regarding the man. If his fortune was from the sale of his books and speaking fees, I see nothing wrong with it. If his fortune was amassed at the collection plate, my view of him would drop significantly. He certainly played a significant role as an advisor to the most powerful people on the planet.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-21-2018, 11:01 AM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I obviously don't agree with his religious beliefs. He did appear, to me, to be one of the few televangelists who was not in it for himself, though he did amass a $25m fortune as a result of his profession. Still, I do not recall there being a scandal regarding the man. If his fortune was from the sale of his books and speaking fees, I see nothing wrong with it. If his fortune was amassed at the collection plate, my view of him would drop significantly. He certainly played a significant role as an advisor to the most powerful people on the planet.
      If I recall the collection plate went to the churches of community he spoke in for them to use to help their community.
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-21-2018, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
        If I recall the collection plate went to the churches of community he spoke in for them to use to help their community.
        That would not surprise me in the least.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

If you can truly know the trees by their fruit then there's a problem. But unlike carpe, I do have a problem with these multi-millionaire christian preachers.

Comment

I am curious, what are your view on Graham?
              A genuinely committed follower of Christ...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                But unlike carpe, I do have a problem with these multi-millionaire christian preachers.
                Of course Jim, like all leftists you are terminally envious of any one who has more than you...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

When he was caught saying he felt newspapers had a leftist jewish overinfluence and got caught after a bunch of nixon tapes were released he didnt hide or cover it up. He immediatly admitted that what he said was wrong.

He was commited to his wife, son, calling, and lord. He seemed like a hero to me.
                  sigpic

Comment

He was simple baptist preacher. Never did any of that prosperity, health and wealth stuff. Never showed off. Never tried to sell you anything other than Jesus. He just preached the gospel and asked people to accept Jesus. And they did by the thousands.

Comment

They're interviewing JOEL OSTEEN on Billy Graham! That's like interviewing Pee Wee Herman on Superman, only worse! (Maybe interviewing Ma Barker about Sister Teresa?)
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        They're interviewing JOEL OSTEEN on Billy Graham! That's like interviewing Pee Wee Herman on Superman, only worse! (Maybe interviewing Ma Barker about Sister Teresa?)
                        Gah!

Who's next? Benny Hinn?

These charlatans like Joel want to associate themselves with his reputation. They figure he can't complain now that he is dead. Maybe Franklin will speak up.

Comment

Franklin doesnt let anyone mess with his father.
                          sigpic

Comment

So far as I have ever known, he was a man of considerable personal integrity. In the judgment of some unbelievers, what he said on the Nixon tape was just inexcusable. That was not my judgment when I first about it, and I respect and fully accept his apology for it.

I strongly disagree with the message he preached, but I will not demonize him or anyone else just for preaching it. He was apparently a good man, but good men can and do believe bad things.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Gah!

Who's next? Benny Hinn?

These charlatans like Joel want to associate themselves with his reputation. They figure he can't complain now that he is dead. Maybe Franklin will speak up.
                              Franklin Graham is as big a charlatan as the rest of them, and his father didn't do bad in the business either.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X