Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Opinions on Billy Graham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Simmer down there Remonstrant!

Comment

• Originally posted by adrift View Post
      Simmer down there[,] Remonstrant!
      FIFY

Comment

FIFY

Comment

OK then, why are you for gun control and/or gun banning?
          Hypocrisy.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            No, that's your dishonest and disingenuous summary.
            Is that the best fallback you guys can muster? Really?

You made a statement - I pointed out the ramification. If that makes me dishonest/disengenous... so be it.

Personally, I think these ad hom attacks are just a way of avoiding the discussion.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              That isn't how I read him at all.
              So what was your interpretation of the post?
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

well this thread is about Billy Graham which includes the BG rule. I only brought up guns to point out how you were being hypocritical. this is not the thread to discuss guns except in that context.

I was trying to get you to realize that you indeed do support 'policies that treat ALL people as untrustworkthy because a FEW people are.'

- so your objection to the BG rule based on that excuse falls flat.
                No - I don't. I support a policy that has a mechnism for finding the people who are not trustworthy to own a deadly weapon. I do not apply it selectively to a specific gender, or race or any other attribute. Your argument is pretty far off, Sparko.

And with that - I'll sign off from this discussion. It has essentially become a string of ad homs with no content - so I see no purpose in continuing. Frankly, this time I won't be reading subsequent posts either. So have at it.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                  And with that - I'll sign off from this discussion.
                  Take 112... Cut... it's a wrap!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                    Is that the best fallback you guys can muster? Really?
                    It's not a "fallback" - you're simply wrong.

You made a statement - I pointed out the ramification. If that makes me dishonest/disengenous... so be it.
                    "disingenuous"

You as wrong about my statement as you are about the spelling of 'disingenuous' - AGAIN!

Personally, I think these ad hom attacks are just a way of avoiding the discussion.
                    "ad hom attacks"
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                      There are a number of biblical teachings which can be cited. There is one I think you might understand.

"Abstain from all appearance of evil." From the Apostle Paul to the Thessalonian church. (1 Thessalonians 5:22) If nothing else the rule avoids the appearance of impropriety. That rule has served that purpose well.
                      That does not appear in any of the translations I use.

Even if it did, the context suggests it refers to testing prophecies.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                        That does not appear in any of the translations I use.

Even if it did, the context suggests it refers to testing prophecies.

1 Thess 5:22 is among a bunch of admonitions and instructions.... it is not necessarily tied to the verse before it "as context".

KJV 12 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;

13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.

14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.

15 See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.

16 Rejoice evermore.

17 Pray without ceasing.

18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

19 Quench not the Spirit.

20 Despise not prophesyings.

21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

25 Brethren, pray for us.

26 Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                          A truly great man has moved on.

I am curious, what are your view on Graham? I think that it can be phrased respectfully, even if one does disagree.
                          Unusual, no sexual sin, even though spending lots of months far away from wife and family. Without 'rule of graham' there would be scandal after scandal.

Devoted preacher, but family life suffered bad because father was not there most of time.

Dem, lib, so influenced by libs in some ways. Attack on nixon for using foul language, but excused Clinton's adultery.

Preaching style probably bad influence on those with less pure motives, also numbers of converts he got.
                          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                            Of course[,] Jim, like all leftists you are terminally envious of any one who has more than you…
                            ‘Leftists’? How did a thread regarding Billy Graham devolve so suddenly?
                            For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              If you can truly know the trees by their fruit then there's a problem. But unlike carpe, I do have a problem with these multi-millionaire [C]hristian preachers. [emphasis added]
                              Yes, I understand.
                              For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                The vast majority of Christians that I've encountered within my life (and certainly on this forum) would completely reject your second definition of "sinful nature". In fact, as far as I know, probably only the most extreme Calvinists, and perhaps a few way out there cultists like the Westboro church hold something like what you're suggesting.
                                I'm admittedly young and inexperienced with my mere 27 years, but if life has taught me anything it's that "Morally debased and corrupt" is a much more accurate description of human beings in general than "imperfect", or even "deeply flawed". Pretty much everyone does things almost entirely out of self-serving reasons, even when the act itself would be considered "good", or "selfless" from a moral perspective.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X