Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Many of the "Spree Shooters" Came from Broken Homes?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm just curious... has there been an extensive study on what's "common" in the shooters?

I remember reading that [whatever] percentage came from broken homes - don't remember the number, but it was very high.

I don't know if that's a factor or not, I know it is in some of the cases.

So, what are the almost universally common factors in the backgrounds of the shooters?

I'd like a serious discussion, so I'm going to ask that JimL not post here, and no sniping.
    Another interesting question should be is how many of these shooters had been kept doped up by the schools on Ritalin and the like. This is an angle that is studiously avoided by both sides.

I'm always still in trouble again

2. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why don't we just get rid of all males. That would solve the problem once and for all.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Why don't we just get rid of all males. That would solve the problem once and for all.
    Not really - when Columbine happened my first thought was 'huh, what took so long that this is the first*?' Not being a Christian, not having caring parents, not having good fictional and non-fictional role models (Superman and Batman were still heroes back then) - take away any or all of those and I could totally see younger self resorting to this.

I think there's another, long term issue that relates, perhaps indirectly causally - desegregation. In the South, thousands of schools were closed as bigger schools were built to force desegregation - but the same warehousing effect occurred in the North with the emphasis on bigger and bigger schools. The teacher / student ratio wasn't ever supposed to be the same - but of course, it also worsened. With it, bullying became harder to really address - you could only intervene with what you saw - much easier at a lower ratio than at the modern 30:1 class (which is what, 120 to 150:1 in terms of teaching and grading?). Instead of putting a stop to it early it was allowed to persist. Now, I doubt every small school dealt with it perfectly - but in that environment, it's not going to be long before both sets of parents know what's going on - and so does the rest of the town. oddly, no one wants their kid to be the odd one - but they REALLY don't want their kid to be the bully.

Desegregation per se wasn't at fault - how it was done, however, likely set this problem in motion. With the internet age, why exactly do we need 30:1 ratios? Why do we need huge, expensive and potentially dangerous warehouses?

*Yes, I know Columbine wasn't the first - it was just the first such major media event.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was being facetious.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was being facetious.
    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

It might help. In any case, it hides a good point. The (overwhelming?) majority of spree-killers are males.
    "Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the
    thankless sea?"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was being facetious.
    At least after you realized that you wouldn't have anyone to do the cooking and shovel the sidewalk/driveway.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

It might help.
    I'm willing to bet that she's aware of sarcasm tags and likely did not feel it was necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    In any case, it hides a good point. The (overwhelming?) majority of spree-killers are males.
    And hence we can call it a "guy thing" that "women won't understand" therefore they cannot by definition have a valid opinion on the matter. We don't need no "wymynsplaining"

Up for you to figurate if the above shoulda had sarcasm tags

9. Amen mossrose, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I'm willing to bet that she's aware of sarcasm tags and likely did not feel it was necessary.
    It clearly wasn't, and she no doubt is.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

11. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    At least after you realized that you wouldn't have anyone to do the cooking and shovel the sidewalk/driveway.
    I did that stuff for decades all by myself. Figure I could do it again.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was being facetious.
    I knew that - but it isn't an entirely invalid point. Just like no guns cannot equal no violence, no guys cannot equal no one going on a rampage. That should NEVER mean not looking at the relationships and how to positively impact them. Fewer disaffected males would very likely result in fewer rampages - since killing them all isn't an option, maybe we could look at what's causing the disconnect? Since eliminating gun existence isn't an option () maybe we should look at who should - and should not - be allowed to handle them and when and how.