Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Sane Discussion About Gun Violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    I'd be fine with banning drug commercials too.
    Commercials? How bout a little more focus on why so many drugs cause "thoughts of suicide"?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Who? I'd love to see the names of those persons who have disputed that guns are effective at killing.
      I'm not saying it is disputed, only that it seems that way to me. Posters on this forum, including Sparko, lilpixie, MM, rogue, Jedidiah, and yourself tend to downplay the effectiveness of guns compared to other methods of killing/self-harm because you don't want to see guns banned. I understand that desire, but I think it's ultimately not such a convincing argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Yeah, I know that was a bit facetious but the point I want to make is that while banning guns might have an effect on the number of suicides committed by using a gun it probably won't effect the overall suicide rate. If someone wants to kill themself there are many ways to do it.
        Might being the operative word here.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I'm not saying it is disputed, only that it seems that way to me. Posters on this forum, including Sparko, lilpixie, MM, rogue, Jedidiah, and yourself tend to downplay the effectiveness of guns compared to other methods of killing/self-harm because you don't want to see guns banned. I understand that desire, but I think it's ultimately not such a convincing argument.
          Can you show me where I've done that, please?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Commercials? How bout a little more focus on why so many drugs cause "thoughts of suicide"?
            I'm not sure I get your point. I don't know why so many drugs have that side-effect.

Comment

Apparently gun suicide is pretty high, and it's of course incredibly lethal. Most attempted suicides are a call for help, and less lethal methods of suicide mean that people stay alive long enough to get the help they need. That isn't to say that there aren't other ways to commit lethal suicide, only that gun suicide is a popular option because it's easy to access a gun, and it's a sure way to get dead.
              Those people crying out for help will not use a gun.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I don't know. Seems like a lot of people like to dispute that fact.
                An example of this, please. If there are actually a lot of such people you should find at least one here on TWeb, but quotes from someone who questions the effectiveness of guns for killing. You are distorting the posts by those you listed in your response to CP. I certainly never questioned the effectiveness of guns.
                Last edited by Jedidiah; 02-25-2018, 01:12 PM.

Comment

I imagine any drugs which are ‘downers’ or cause even mild depression would have this effect. Alcohol is an example. It’s just the drug companies being over cautious in their advertising- but I don’t get why they’re advertised on the telly in the first place (barring over the counter drugs such as paracetamol etc).

Comment

Can you show me where I've done that, please?
                    Sure, Here you started a thread called Knife Control! Yep, Next After Gun Control! and then posted, "When guns are hard to obtain, will killings stop? "

Here you pointed out that ISIS called for random knife attacks. By itself that doesn't mean anything, but it was in a thread where people were implying that knives were as effective to determined individuals as guns.

In this very thread you downplayed suicide by gun by asking if we should take guns away from cops. All of this has the effect of making it look like you don't think guns are really an issue, and that there are other methods that are just as effective as guns, so that isn't really the problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                      I imagine any drugs which are ‘downers’ or cause even mild depression would have this effect. Alcohol is an example. It’s just the drug companies being over cautious in their advertising- but I don’t get why they’re advertised on the telly in the first place (barring over the counter drugs such as paracetamol etc).
                      They want you to ask your doctor to prescribe the drugs they advertise. Representatives from the various drug companies frequently visit doctors' offices and clinics pushing their own products, giving free samples, and "inducements" to push (prescribe) more of their product. It's shameless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        Those people crying out for help will not use a gun.
                        See my post #311 where Liza Gold points out that most suicides are done impulsively and often under the influence. You can still reason with someone who survives a suicide attempt and give them the help they require. Not so much with someone who is successful. This should be common sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          An example of this, please. If there are actually a lot of such people you should find at least one here on TWeb, but quotes from someone who questions the effectiveness of guns for killing. You are distorting the posts by those you listed in your response to CP. I certainly never questioned the effectiveness of guns.
                          See my response to CP.

Comment

Sure, Here you started a thread called Knife Control! Yep, Next After Gun Control! and then posted, "When guns are hard to obtain, will killings stop? "

Here you pointed out that ISIS called for random knife attacks. By itself that doesn't mean anything, but it was in a thread where people were implying that knives were as effective to determined individuals as guns.

In this very thread you downplayed suicide by gun by asking if we should take guns away from cops. All of this has the effect of making it look like you don't think guns are really an issue, and that there are other methods that are just as effective as guns, so that isn't really the problem.
                            Wow, I think your emotions are pooping on your reason. I'll respond to this after I take Mrs CP for some good ol' Mexican food.

Comment

wow
                              Pathetic.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Wow, I think your emotions are pooping on your reason. I'll respond to this after I take Mrs CP for some good ol' Mexican food.
                                Nope. Currently I'm as cool as a cucumber. The impression I've gotten from many gun rights people on this forum really is that guns are not any more effective than knives, cars, poison and the like to the determined individual. I'd be more than happy to see that that impression is misplaced.

Comment