Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Sane Discussion About Gun Violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Are you advocating that we legalize drugs then? I have to admit that I find it absolutely fascinating to see people who typically are of a conservative bent, who years ago would adamantly not have been for the legalization of drugs, suddenly sort of soften on the issue when parallels are made to the nation's gun problem.

Also, our prisons are filled to overflowing with drug users. We have more people in prison than any other nation on earth. That doesn't seem particularly healthy for a society. While I agree that no solution will be 100% on this issue till Christ's return, other industrialized nations don't seem to have nearly the issues we have on this front.
    Interesting topic I would be interested in exploring in another thread.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      I cannot support anything without data. My gut tells me "fewer guns - less gun violence."
      Fewer guns in the hands of criminals - less gun deaths.

My gut tells me "lower capacity magazines, less harm done."
      Think about that - in these situations, there is no "return fire", so a few seconds to swap magazines more often (that's all it takes) isn't a critical issue.

My gut tells me "eliminate all automatic and semi-automatic weapons, less harm done."
      Automatic weapons are already highly regulated.

but my gut has been wrong on more than one occasion. We need the studies - but we cannot get them in the current climate - so I am left...somewhat rudderless.
      Seems we can fund anything we really want - it's just a matter of who funds it.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Are you advocating that we legalize drugs then? I have to admit that I find it absolutely fascinating to see people who typically are of a conservative bent, who years ago would adamantly not have been for the legalization of drugs, suddenly sort of soften on the issue when parallels are made to the nation's gun problem.

Also, our prisons are filled to overflowing with drug users. We have more people in prison than any other nation on earth. That doesn't seem particularly healthy for a society. While I agree that no solution will be 100% on this issue till Christ's return, other industrialized nations don't seem to have nearly the issues we have on this front.
        Yeah, another thread.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As I understand it, most of the gun problems in the USA are due to suicide. I think both conservatives and liberals want to deal with root issues. I haven't seen any evidence that those who go after guns are not also interested in treating root issues.
          You have not read the news have you?
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Yeah, but I'm of that odd lot that thinks we need to focus more on the consumer than on the supplier. Not saying we shouldn't still try to stop shipments of drugs, but as long as there is a market... just like guns.
            I support harsh sentences for all levels of suppliers and a wrist slap for users.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              You have not read the news have you?
              I typically get my news from whatever is on the TV at the gym (CNN and Fox), and NPR in the morning. Why, is there something in the news now that says that people that desire gun control are not at all interested in root causes of gun violence? If so, I've missed it.

Comment

I think mostly because it doesn't sound like a reasonable response. Sentencing a first time offender to life, or threatening them with capital punishment for brandishing a weapon in which no one was harmed and no lives were taken would probably seem to the majority of US citizens as an unjust punishment. As well, there's lots of debate on whether or not there is any actual correlation between the length of a sentence and the deterrence of crime. Plenty of experts think there is not.
                Mandatory minimums were and are often overly broad - that's resulted in these laws being overturned in court and repealed by legislatures. Most states, as I recall, do have stricter penalties for those who employ weapons in committing a crime.

The actual answer to Jed's question is simple - it's completely UNCONSTITUTIONAL. 'Extremely harsh' based on the presence of a weapon is going to be impossible to keep away from the 'cruel and unusual' line.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

You are demonstrating reasonable control....
                  My two rifles do not fit in the safe and I can do nothing about it unless the government wants to buy me a safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    so if you got burglarized and someone else used your gun to commit a crime, you should go to jail? Does that sound fair to you?
                    If you left it unsecured, yes. Rights come with responsibilities.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      My two rifles do not fit in the safe and I can do nothing about it unless the government wants to buy me a safe.
                      1) Buy an adequate safe.
                      2) Take the weapons apart to store them.
                      Rights come with responsibilities - and since gun ownership is a limited right, you DO bear the responsibility to not allow your weapon to be stolen or sold to someone who is not legally able to own it.

This total lack of responsibility is why you have people that don't want ANYONE to have guns.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I don't consider it a punishment, anymore than I consider having to wear a seat belt a punishment.
                        so if that child took a crayon and wrote graffiti on teh wall you would take all crayons from all the children in that class? that is in essense what you are advocating.

Comment

Think about that - in these situations, there is no "return fire", so a few seconds to swap magazines more often (that's all it takes) isn't a critical issue.
                          With enough practice, you can learn to swap magazines before the previous one has hit the ground.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                            From what I know of the available data - they simply bring them in from locations where they are not banned - or they obtain them illegally.
                            Okay boys, stop this until you finish Government 101 - first question - how many jurisdictions are in the United States?Why that matters is that guns obtained legally in South Carolina are used to commit crimes in New York where they could not have been legally obtained.

The ACTUAL issue is federal gun control.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              With enough practice, you can learn to swap magazines before the previous one has hit the ground.
                              In a crowded arena, why do I care how long it takes? Unless it's going to be long enough for bystanders to recover and disarm the guy, it really doesn't matter - and in that instance capacity really DOES matter. Even a crappy shot with a fully automatic weapon can hit more than a few people. I could hit someone at 60 yards or so with a BB gun (my nephew - wasn't hurt - think it scared me more than him) as a kid - I can darn sure hit people at point blank with an M-16.

That I couldn't operate it as effectively as a soldier or SWAT unit guy really doesn't make the people with bullets in them feel any better.

The disconnected idea that guns aren't force multipliers if you aren't an expert in their use is just DUMB.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                                so if that child took a crayon and wrote graffiti on teh wall you would take all crayons from all the children in that class? that is in essense what you are advocating.
                                No, it is not.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment