Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Sane Discussion About Gun Violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    There is a strong and increasing break with reality in the nation today. I recognize the reality, but I see the result as bad. Are you suggesting that just putting my guns in a safe is not enough to clear me of responsibility? Do I need another locked box inside the locked box inside my locked house? Where does the insanity end.

And you are wrong, I never suggested that kids were different in my day, just that the nation was not quite as insane as it is today.
    If you know you have a relation who is criminally insane, actually, that case could be true - but no, for the most part I'd argue that secured weapons stolen by very determined thieves do not result in further liability.

Unless you made it easy for the thieves in some other way. It's perfectly reasonable for gun owners to be responsible for securing their weapons with more than a pane of glass.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      If you know you have a relation who is criminally insane, actually, that case could be true - but no, for the most part I'd argue that secured weapons stolen by very determined thieves do not result in further liability.

Unless you made it easy for the thieves in some other way. It's perfectly reasonable for gun owners to be responsible for securing their weapons with more than a pane of glass.
      There are criminally insane folks in the world. I am not responsible for them in any sane way. It is only the current level of pathology that makes any of that even seem sane. I know it is the law, but it is still insane.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Disingenuous again - you understood the simile perfectly well and most certainly have used that line of reasoning.
        Now you're trying to dodge the issue. You know fully well you're expected to back up your statements especially if you are going to go after someone's character.
        I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          This has become much less of a sand discussion and more like a nursery school. Teal and Adrift are the main guilty ones in this respect. I still love you guys though. Really I do.
          No, Jed, Adrift hasn't been the problem - you and I have. You want to pretend that it's okay to make fun of me like you did, fine - it does nothing for the sanity nor the civility of the conversation nor does it make me respect your position.

I had a neighbor killed for the crime of standing in his own living room when I was a kid - and a number of my pets killed (how the heck do you mistake an orange cat for a deer?!?!?) by idiots with guns. I lost a friend to a moronic accident - someone threw a loaded weapon. I've been shot at multiple times within a hundred yards of my home. Honestly, it's better now - the law doesn't turn a blind eye to 'hunting accidents' like it once did. But that kind of irresponsible use of firearms - then deflecting to arguments about other possible weapons as if firearms weren't significant force multipliers - that's just more of the culture of gun irresponsibility that killed my friends, my pets and darn near got me once.

Rationally, I don't think the abolition argument is fair. But if it's a choice between that and gun owners who think they literally have no responsibility for their weapons - heck no - abolish them. The Constitution can be amended so the Second is not an insurmountable bar.

but just laugh at me for being too whatever - it's all your gonna do anyway.

I'm done.

Ke, I think you have your answer.

Sorry Carpe.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            We seem to be in agreement on criminal convictions. I had not considered "public threats" but it makes sense. That leaves us with "mental health." Are you eliminating "mental health" entirely as a basis for limiting access? So someone clinically diagnosed to be bipolar or schizophrenic? Someone with diagnosed cognitive impairments (i.e., adults with reasoning levels of children). Would you place an age restriction on gun ownership?

Absolutely - and especially given the passion I believe you have for this subject.
            I agree with an age restriction. I think 21 would be appropriate. However, I do get nervous about the mental health bit. I'm a registered gun owner who deals with 4 chronic conditions that cause excruciating pain. The gun laws trying to be passed in Oregon would target me in two ways: a) I deal with depression and anxiety from being in various levels of pain 24/7 and some would consider me "a safety risk" and could appeal to the circuit court to force me to hand in my gun and b) I am prescribed medical cannabis to treat my symptoms. I treat it with edibles that are much higher in CBD than THC so I don't even feel a high but again, lobbyist are also trying to pass a bill that could force me to hand in my gun.

I agree something needs to be addressed in regards to mental health but I'm not about to allow my rights to be curtailed when I am not a safety risk.
            I am Punkinhead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
              According to year by year charts i'm looking at australia gun ban seems to have no correlation with homicide rates

Suicide rates shouldn't be part of the discussion at all. A suicide isn't something that happens to you that is out of your control, like a massacre or a home invasion. It's something you do to yourself.
              Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
              I agree with an age restriction. I think 21 would be appropriate. However, I do get nervous about the mental health bit. I'm a registered gun owner who deals with 4 chronic conditions that cause excruciating pain. The gun laws trying to be passed in Oregon would target me in two ways: a) I deal with depression and anxiety from being in various levels of pain 24/7 and some would consider me "a safety risk" and could appeal to the circuit court to force me to hand in my gun and b) I am prescribed medical cannabis to treat my symptoms. I treat it with edibles that are much higher in CBD than THC so I don't even feel a high but again, lobbyist are also trying to pass a bill that could force me to hand in my gun.

I agree something needs to be addressed in regards to mental health but I'm not about to allow my rights to be curtailed when I am not a safety risk.
              The risk of demonizing people with mental illnesses is ever-present in this debate, and people tend to do so without a second thought.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                The risk of demonizing people with mental illnesses is ever-present in this debate, and people tend to do so without a second thought.
                wow

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Care to expound upon this? "ever-present"?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Care to expound upon this? "ever-present"?
                    I just mean it's always a risk when the subject of mental illness come up. ke's post expresses concerns about her losing her rights as a result of that aspect of the debate.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

In the case of a 'mass shooter', they often don't give a flyin' flip about laws or consequences, because they often plan on "going out in a blaze of glory", and there is nobody to prosecute.
                      Very true. According to the Washington Post, a majority of mass shootings begin with the theft of an otherwise legally obtained gun. About 79% to be exact.
                      I am Punkinhead.

Comment

I just mean it's always a risk when the subject of mental illness come up. ke's post expresses concerns about her losing her rights as a result of that aspect of the debate.
                        OK, thanks. She's different, though - she's a Punkinhead.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

OK, thanks. She's different, though - she's a Punkinhead.
                          But it's a delicate subject because the issue can't be dismissed altogether, you know? Undeniably there are some people who simply shouldn't have guns due to conditions they have. Determining who those people are without lumping in other people is difficult.

Comment

But it's a delicate subject because the issue can't be dismissed altogether, you know?
                            Yes, sir.

Undeniably there are some people who simply shouldn't have guns due to conditions they have. Determining who those people are without lumping in other people is difficult.
                            I can't even imagine how that could get sorted out.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                              And I put that "your" there on purpose - grammar Nazi!
                              Troll
                              I am Punkinhead.

Comment

but why is my post quoted i never said the mentally ill should lose their rights. quite the opposite, i objected to the use of the mentally ill as a pretext to strip others of their rights
                                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment