Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Sane Discussion About Gun Violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You are demonstrating reasonable control....
    No, he isn't. Name a police force - or any other organization that professionally uses guns - that keeps its weapons where a 10 year old with a rock can get to them.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      No, it is not.
      He has said he wants all guns taken away from everyone because there are a relatively few people who misuse them it is in essence what he is saying.

Comment

If you left it unsecured, yes. Rights come with responsibilities.
        So I guess if you didn't lock your car in the garage but left it in the driveway, or worse on the street, and someone comes along and steals it then uses it to commit a crime the car owner is culpable.

Or those folks who leave their cars running when they dash into a convenience store (generally so they want to leave the AC/heater running), aren't just being foolish but criminally negligent as well.

Who knew.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          If you could find a solution to poverty and inner city gangs, you would eliminate most of the gun problems in the USA. Nobody ever goes after the cause of the gun violence, just the guns. That is what is so frustrating to most conservatives. Because like you said, to them guns are a part of life: Hunting, target practice, defense against wildlife or intruders. I think people go after the guns because they are an easy target (no pun intended) and they know that it is nearly impossible to solve gang violence, so why bother? but stuff like that is the actual problem, not the guns. The guns are a result not the cause.
          I absolutely agree that poverty is at the heart of many of our ills. I also don't think we should be "going after the guns." I think we should be finding ways to keep them out of the hands of those who should not have them.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Used to be when a young kid was caught doing something wrong or stupid the judge gave him a choice: go to jail or join the Army.
            Yeah - but when you were a kid, dinosaurs still roamed the earth...

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Liberals are not known for being consistent. Save baby seals, kill baby humans, protect baby eagles in the egg.....
              Easy...

Comment

It serves as a place to keep my weapons, AND a place for my wife to go and hide if somebody breaks into the house when I'm not home. There are guns and ammo in there, along with flashlights... she just needs to grab her cell phone and lock herself in. That door is a solid core door on purpose, and the handle "turns freely" when not 'engaged', so it's pretty durn difficult to get that door open. PLUS, that 2'0" closet door is behind the 3'0' bathroom door, so, unless you're looking for it, you don't even know it's there.
                Sheesh... now I have to give up thinking your stupid...

Comment

It serves as a place to keep my weapons, AND a place for my wife to go and hide if somebody breaks into the house when I'm not home. There are guns and ammo in there, along with flashlights... she just needs to grab her cell phone and lock herself in. That door is a solid core door on purpose, and the handle "turns freely" when not 'engaged', so it's pretty durn difficult to get that door open. PLUS, that 2'0" closet door is behind the 3'0' bathroom door, so, unless you're looking for it, you don't even know it's there.
                  And I put that "your" there on purpose - grammar Nazi!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    To be fair, conservatives are also on opposite ends of the drugs/guns debate in that we want strictly regulated drugs and loosely regulated guns ("loose" in the sense that it should not be prohibitively difficult for a law-abiding citizen to acquire or carry a gun).
                    Nice!

Comment

A view inside CP's closet:

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                        I think that ignorance about guns is part of the problem. The old hoke that if an Ar-15 was wood liberals would leave it alone comes to mind for instance.

Shouldnt we know as much as we can about guns?
                        Yes. And as a professional educator - I am ALL OVER that idea.

Comment

I certified... um... 10 or 12 years ago, so... I'm sure I'm way behind.. but I can subnet with the best of them, and still have several routers I used to configure just for fun!
                          Umm.. your certification has long since expired...

It's kind of like saying, "yeah - the last time I renewed my driver's license was, ummm... 12 years ago... "
                          Last edited by carpedm9587; 02-23-2018, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• I am a page behind tracking this thread. I'm tired - and somewhat emotionally exhausted (been a long day). I don't know what ya'll did on the last page, but the fact that we could discuss (mostly) respectfully for the previous four pages is a hopeful thing. We all have been at odds in one place or another, but we should be trying to find common ground here. There is just too damned much at stake.

But I'm tired...and I'm going to bed. Tomorrow morning I'll go do my weekly pheresis donation, and then I'll be back online for a bit. Please keep the tone and exchange civil. I'll try to catch up in the morning.

And just for the record... you should all know that I'm always right... umm... left... ummm... centrist....

P.S. And CP is usually wrong...
                            Last edited by carpedm9587; 02-23-2018, 06:30 PM.

Comment

If you left it unsecured, yes. Rights come with responsibilities.
                              Who commits the crime should pay. I have stated before that I consider locked in my house to be secured. The rest is baloney.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                So I guess if you didn't lock your car in the garage but left it in the driveway, or worse on the street, and someone comes along and steals it then uses it to commit a crime the car owner is culpable.

Or those folks who leave their cars running when they dash into a convenience store (generally so they want to leave the AC/heater running), aren't just being foolish but criminally negligent as well.

Who knew.
                                Weapons aren't the same thing in law - but this analogy doesn't work anyway. Good luck with the lawsuits and the insurance company. You'll find you're civilly liable and your insurance company won't be paying. In the first case, yup, you ARE civilly liable for both an attractive nuisance and negligence - both of which will void your insurance warranty. If you have any assets, you won't have them long.

But again, weapons are different in law - so your responsibilities concerning them can indeed be criminal liability rather than civil. The degree of negligence would be the issue - depraved indifference should have criminal liability where simple negligence should have civil liability - as a very general rule.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment