Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4181899091

Thread: A Sane Discussion About Gun Violence

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My point is: Somebody recently brought out statistics about how many active shooter situations were defused because somebody had a gun. I wonder how many situations were unjustifiably escalated because somebody wanted to be the good guy with the gun.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    My point is: Somebody recently brought out statistics about how many active shooter situations were defused because somebody had a gun. I wonder how many situations were unjustifiably escalated because somebody wanted to be the good guy with the gun.
    I suspect the latter would get more publicity than the former, as the current atmosphere is largely anti-gun, but I don't know that.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I suspect the latter would get more publicity than the former, as the current atmosphere is largely anti-gun, but I don't know that.
    Well, we have numbers on the former, so a comparison should be possible I'd think...
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No - you don't. And it sounds suspiciously like self-confirming bias... but I don't know that...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    No - you don't. And it sounds suspiciously like self-confirming bias... but I don't know that...
    Yeah, that's entirely possible, but I do, and, you're right, I don't.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah, that's entirely possible, but I do, and, you're right, I don't.
    I actually did... until you posted...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

-Martin Luther King

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that the guy in this case never took a gun safety course.