Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Sane Discussion About Gun Violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    There were some. Loner, neo-Nazi, wore trench coats even when a coat wasn't necessary. He apparently had a custom made T-shirt reading, 'born to kill'; he posted a picture of it to FB a couple weeks ago.
    From what I heard his "trench coat" (some news services called it a "duster" -- not sure of the difference) had a hammer and sickle on it. Not something you generally associate with being a neo-Nazi. It also had a Japanese Rising Sun emblem and a Cthulhu insignia and apparently he had what has been described as being a bisexual pride pin or symbol on the cap he often wore.

The so-called "Nazi medal" on it is a Iron Cross and while German isn't "Nazi" but rather was established back in 1813 during the Napoleonic Wars by Wilhelm III of Prussia and was adopted by Germany in the 1870s. On Facebook he said he picked it because it symbolized bravery (it was typically awarded for bravery in battle) not because of any supposed Nazi-connection (he gave similar reasons for the other insignia on his jacket).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      From what I heard his "trench coat" (some news services called it a "duster" -- not sure of the difference) had a hammer and sickle on it. Not something you generally associate with being a neo-Nazi. It also had a Japanese Rising Sun emblem and a Cthulhu insignia and apparently he had what has been described as being a bisexual pride pin or symbol on the cap he often wore.

The so-called "Nazi medal" on it is a Iron Cross and while German isn't "Nazi" but rather was established back in 1813 during the Napoleonic Wars by Wilhelm III of Prussia and was adopted by Germany in the 1870s. On Facebook he said he picked it because it symbolized bravery (it was typically awarded for bravery in battle) not because of any supposed Nazi-connection (he gave similar reasons for the other insignia on his jacket).
      I find it much easier to believe that he wasn't a true neo-Nazi - he's Greek, after all - but he seems to like some neo-Nazi things.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        This little ditty has been posted and responded to so many times, it seems rather pointless to do it again, especially since you've already declared any response "hand waving." However my response is the same one I've always given:

Correlation is not causation. Much else has changed since 1994 that a drop in gun homicide rates can be attributed to. The fact that there is no correlation here is also indicated by the fact that almost all of that growth in guns/person is attributed to the accelerated purchase by 3% of the population, where the gun/person number has soared to 16/individual, lifting the average for everyone as a result. There has been almost no growth for the remaining 97%.

I know the NRA loves this little diagram - but it says nothing.
        This has also been pointed out before: that the point in bringing up this graph isn't to argue that the increase in gun ownership has led to the reduction in gun violence, but that it serves as evidence that more guns =/= more gun violence.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I think that a stronger argument can be made that violent movies, TV programs and video games provide "a map" to violence than what Sparko said.
          I've never heard of anyone achieving a mass-killing with a DVD.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
            I've never heard of anyone achieving a mass-killing with a DVD.
            You were talking about providing "maps"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm not surprised that you wouldn't think so but keep in mind that words can be far more deadly than any firearm. As Cardinal Richelieu is made to say in Bulwer-Lytton's historical play about him, "The pen is mightier than the sword." This can be demonstrated by what a certain European politician was able to carry out in the middle of the last century largely as a result of a few speeches and a book.
              I would think a fair description would include quite a lot more than "a few speeches and a book". Did people have to buy into his ideas? Did they have to shout at people because of their race, faith or sexual orientation, to deprive them of their dignity, to put them on trains to concentration camps, to humiliate, torture and kill them? I certainly hope you realise that there is far more to this than speeches and books? Quite many wrong human actions... If not you have a very limited understanding of what all the human beings involved in this machinery of killing should have been held accountable for.

Apart from that I would say that among nazi Germany's many problems one of them was the problem that it certainly did not allow for much free speech from those who opposed nazism.
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

So if you think heavily regulating the possession of firearms in the name of public safety is justified then you are exhibiting a double standard.
                I fail to see how that follows. Those who support free speech often support it due to their impression that it is the best way to oppose ideas that we disagree with.
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                  I would think a fair description would include quite a lot more than "a few speeches and a book". Did people have to buy into his ideas? Did they have to shout at people because of their race, faith or sexual orientation, to deprive them of their dignity, to put them on trains to concentration camps, to humiliate, torture and kill them? I certainly hope you realise that there is far more to this than speeches and books? Quite many wrong human actions... If not you have a very limited understanding of what all the human beings involved in this machinery of killing should have been held accountable for.

Apart from that I would say that among nazi Germany's many problems one of them was the problem that it certainly did not allow for much free speech from those who opposed nazism.
                  Did the movement start right off with concentration camps? No it took a lot to work up to those.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    This has also been pointed out before: that the point in bringing up this graph isn't to argue that the increase in gun ownership has led to the reduction in gun violence, but that it serves as evidence that more guns =/= more gun violence.
                    And it does not make THAT case either. The data you are missing that would support this claim is what the gun violence would be if the only variable that changed is gun ownership. The graph shows that gun violence went from 7.0/100K ro 3.6/100K while gun ownership went from .94/100K to 1.45/100K. However, there were multiple variables at play (changes in laws, in law enforcement, social distribution, use of camera phones, etc.). The data does not isolate for any of these factors. So you have no way of knowing, if all of these factors were isolated from the data, if the net change in violence due to increased gun ownership would have risen or fallen. For all you know, the factors suppressing gun violence would have suppressed them to less then 1/100K, but the increase in gun ownership kept it inflated at 3.6/100K. Likewise, you cannot know if the other factors suppressing gun violence only suppressed it by 1/100K to 6/100K and the rest came from increase in private gun ownership.

All of which says: the chart is useless. It's just BAD use of statistics to make a claim that cannot be substantiated or refuted. The people who use it know this, which is why it keeps getting used. Statisticians laugh when they see it because it's such BAD use of data, but the lay person keeps slinging it around as if they are actually saying something. And because it scores points and most people don't know how to point out it's meaninglessness - it keeps getting slung around.

After all - we just need to dismiss the statistical analysis as "hand-waving" and we get to thump the NRA, the gun lobby, and the gun rights advocates on the back for a job well done, when all they are really being is dishonest. Either that, or they are really bad at statistical analysis.
                    Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-21-2018, 06:21 PM.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I'm not surprised that you wouldn't think so but keep in mind that words can be far more deadly than any firearm. As Cardinal Richelieu is made to say in Bulwer-Lytton's historical play about him, "The pen is mightier than the sword." This can be demonstrated by what a certain European politician was able to carry out in the middle of the last century largely as a result of a few speeches and a book.

So if you think heavily regulating the possession of firearms in the name of public safety is justified then you are exhibiting a double standard.
                      No
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                        And it does not make THAT case either. The data you are missing that would support this claim is what the gun violence would be if the only variable that changed is gun ownership. The graph shows that gun violence went from 7.0/100K ro 3.6/100K while gun ownership went from .94/100K to 1.45/100K. However, there were multiple variables at play (changes in laws, in law enforcement, social distribution, use of camera phones, etc.). The data does not isolate for any of these factors. So you have no way of knowing, if all of these factors were isolated from the data, if the net change in violence due to increased gun ownership would have risen or fallen. For all you know, the factors suppressing gun violence would have suppressed them to less then 1/100K, but the increase in gun ownership kept it inflated at 3.6/100K. Likewise, you cannot know if the other factors suppressing gun violence only suppressed it by 1/100K to 6/100K and the rest came from increase in private gun ownership.

All of which says: the chart is useless. It's just BAD use of statistics to make a claim that cannot be substantiated or refuted. The people who use it know this, which is why it keeps getting used. Statisticians laugh when they see it because it's such BAD use of data, but the lay person keeps slinging it around as if they are actually saying something. And because it scores points and most people don't know how to point out it's meaninglessness - it keeps getting slung around.

After all - we just need to dismiss the statistical analysis as "hand-waving" and we get to thump the NRA, the gun lobby, and the gun rights advocates on the back for a job well done, when all they are really being is dishonest. Either that, or they are really bad at statistical analysis.
                        I wasn't making a statistical argument, just pointing out where you were missing the point of the graph.

Oh, and your comments about how the people using it "know this," and "all they are really being is dishonest," given your comments elsewhere about people claiming to know your motivation, is pretty rich, and nicely illustrates why I haven't really taken part much in this particular thread.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          I wasn't making a statistical argument, just pointing out where you were missing the point of the graph.
                          I'm not missing the point of the graph, Zym, I am pointing out that it doesn't MAKE a point.

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          Oh, and your comments about how the people using it "know this," and "all they are really being is dishonest," given your comments elsewhere about people claiming to know your motivation, is pretty rich, and nicely illustrates why I haven't really taken part much in this particular thread.
                          There would be validity to the second, were it not for that last bit you left off and didn't bold: "Either that, or they are really bad at statistical analysis."

However, I do plead guilty to the earlier mind-reading in the post, "The people who use it know this, which is why it keeps getting used." This is an assumption on my part. I don't know that they know this; it is possible they are just bad at statistical analysis. I do have to seriously wonder, however. This kind of tossing out meaningless data to market an idea is common. It's hard for me to imagine that the people who snagged this graph and have been using it as Rogue did DON'T know it is meaningless - but I have to admit it is possible. So mea culpa. I did engage in mind reading in that part of my post, and you rightfully called me on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            ...and you are providing a map.
                            keep up. Even if you take away the map, they will find a way. They will draw their own map.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              The Western Australia shooting is shocking, certainly, but your link makes the point that these seven deaths is worst mass shooting in more than 20 years. The Australian gun laws have been successful overall, this is the point.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/10/gu...ralia-updated/

OTOH: There have been 101 mass shootings in the US so far in 2018 alone.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-m...is-year-2018-2
                              Yes, again, I concede it has been effective for reducing GUN mass killings, but the OVERALL mass killing rate has stayed the same. As Carp said:
                              Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                              In the immortal words of Jurassic Park: "nature finds a way."
                              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                                Yes, again, I concede it has been effective for reducing GUN mass killings, but the OVERALL mass killing rate has stayed the same. As Carp said:
                                carp didn't even get the quote right. It is "life, uh… finds a way".

Comment