Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Seattle Residents Complained About A 'Confederate Flag.'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle Residents Complained About A 'Confederate Flag.'

I'll thank Rational Gaze for this link.

Apparently some people thought a Norway flag was a confederate flag.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27472...gn=benshapiro#

The first comment says it all really.

I thought liberals are educated, and superior in every way to those stuped republekens.
    “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
    I'll thank Rational Gaze for this link.

Apparently some people thought a Norway flag was a confederate flag.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27472...gn=benshapiro#

The first comment says it all really.
    IIRC, British flags have been confused for Confederate flags as well

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      IIRC, British flags have been confused for Confederate flags as well

How do you confuse a Union Jack with a confederate flag?
      “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

https://imgur.com/E19wP3a

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Be a liberal.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

1) The Norwegian flag DOESN'T look like the Stars and Bars (below) as the article alleges - it vaguely (if you're an idiot) resembles the Battle flag (except not being square, not having a St Andrew's cross and not having stars...).

180px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_(1861-1863).svg.png

2) It doesn't resemble AT ALL either of the other two flags of the Confederacy (No, not counting the Stars and Bars variations from early in 1861 as states joined the Confederacy)- both incorporate the Battle flag but in the upper left hand field - where the stars are in the US flag.

1st) 180px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_(1861-1863).svg.png

2nd) 150622171934-02-confederate-flag-super-169.jpg
            (Yeah, it's backwards but the diagram doesn't render correctly - it had no borders to indicate the white field)

3rd)158px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_(1865).svg.png

3) The stupid flag they ARE talking about ISN'T the Confederate flag or even technically the Battle flag - it's the representation of the Battle flag that became common well after the Civil War - the actual Battle Flag is SQUARE, not rectangular.

Not only do these morons not know history, they can't even use Wiki!
            Attached Files
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              3) The stupid flag they ARE talking about ISN'T the Confederate flag or even technically the Battle flag - it's the representation of the Battle flag that became common well after the Civil War - the actual Battle Flag is SQUARE, not rectangular.

Not only do these morons not know history, they can't even use Wiki!
              The representation of the Battle Flag is pretty commonly understood to be a Confederate flag even if was never used as such in the actual war. It's so commonly understood to be so, that even people from the South call it the "Confederate flag". So, while you're technically correct, in popular modern thought, it's accepted as such. Wikipedia even has a different article covering the topic here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern...nfederate_flag

Comment

Ignorance. Second most common element in the universe after hydrogen.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                  The representation of the Battle Flag is pretty commonly understood to be a Confederate flag even if was never used as such in the actual war. It's so commonly understood to be so, that even people from the South call it the "Confederate flag". So, while you're technically correct, in popular modern thought, it's accepted as such. Wikipedia even has a different article covering the topic here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern...nfederate_flag
                  It's still REALLY stupid to confuse a country's flag with a battle flag - it's pure ignorance - which really improves nothing. I see no reason that 'popular modern thought' should override 'reality'.

And the Battle Flag is NOT the Confederate flag, and certainly not the Stars and Bars. Idiots in Atlanta do not count - Southerners do usually know the difference (and that twenty year fight over the stupid battle flag that wasn't actually the battle flag kinda helps here).

It's symptomatic of the larger issue - we've done a really crappy job teaching history in the public schools - so much so that really obvious things like the Battle flag get confused for really obviously not the same thing like the Norwegian flag - or my favorite, The Union Jack. Can't get the simple stuff straight but they think they can grasp history well enough to heal the wounds from a hundred and fifty plus years ago that they really obviously don't understand.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Be fair - it's red, white and blue and has a St. Andrew's cross - which is at least a little closer than the Norwegian flag...

I can include sarcasm tags if you want....

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

It's still REALLY stupid to confuse a country's flag with a battle flag - it's pure ignorance
                      Well of course. That's not what I was replying about though.

I see no reason that 'popular modern thought' should override 'reality'.
                      I don't really know what you mean by this. You were picking on the semantics of using the phrase "Confederate Flag". In the popular imagination, even in the South, the Rebel Flag/Southern Cross is considered a Confederate Flag, even if it was not the Confederate Flag.

It's symptomatic of the larger issue - we've done a really crappy job teaching history in the public schools
                      You'll get no argument from me about that.

Comment

It's still REALLY stupid to confuse a country's flag with a battle flag - it's pure ignorance - which really improves nothing. I see no reason that 'popular modern thought' should override 'reality'.

And the Battle Flag is NOT the Confederate flag, and certainly not the Stars and Bars. Idiots in Atlanta do not count - Southerners do usually know the difference (and that twenty year fight over the stupid battle flag that wasn't actually the battle flag kinda helps here).
                        It doesn't matter if it's the actual Confederate flag or is simply a battle flag, the point is that it is frequently used as a symbol for the Confederacy.

It's symptomatic of the larger issue - we've done a really crappy job teaching history in the public schools - so much so that really obvious things like the Battle flag get confused for really obviously not the same thing like the Norwegian flag - or my favorite, The Union Jack. Can't get the simple stuff straight but they think they can grasp history well enough to heal the wounds from a hundred and fifty plus years ago that they really obviously don't understand.
                        Whatever issues there may be in history classes, I don't think the lack of people memorizing flags from defunct countries, or even current countries, is one, as it's such a minor point in the general scheme of history.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Own goal.
                          Guitar shop owner post pic of Union Jack gutairs laughing at kids who complained they sell Confederate flag guitars. Commenter shows up showing they sell confederate guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                            It doesn't matter if it's the actual Confederate flag or is simply a battle flag, the point is that it is frequently used as a symbol for the Confederacy.
                            No, it's not. There is no Confederacy - how the heck can it have a new flag?

Considering that they are tearing down monuments and smearing people who aren't even actually displaying the stupid thing yeah, actually knowing what the thing you are taking such offence to IS a major point. The idiots in the OP actually called the media. The writer of the article, presumably a reporter, misidentified it even further as the Stars and Bars, which actually WAS the Confederate flag! It's like accusing the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago of being Nazis because their flag is red and black.

Yeah, if you're gonna be jerks about something you should at the very least know what it LOOKS LIKE. And since the Civil War is a MAJOR part of American history, there is no excuse for Americans displaying this level of ignorance.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                              Own goal.
                              Guitar shop owner post pic of Union Jack gutairs laughing at kids who complained they sell Confederate flag guitars. Commenter shows up showing they sell confederate guitars.
                              OP's id is blacked out. The link posted doesn't lead anywhere.

A review of the shop shows it does carry used guitars - but the only thing that I could find using the terms from the link was this.

So, a commemorative frame isn't a guitar - and I can't even be sure that the OP runs that particular shop.

I have heard of such mistakes - but I don't see that either point is proved with that link.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment