Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Neanderthal cave art found in Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neanderthal cave art found in Spain

~64,000 to 60,000 year old Neanderthal cave art found

Source: https://www.inverse.com/article/41551-neanderthal-cave-art-archeology-human

Groundbreaking research published Thursday in Science throws a wrench into all that. In the paper, an international team of scientists, discovering that cave paintings in three sites across Spain are collectively between 64,000 and 66,000 years old, report that there’s no way those cave paintings could have been made by early Homo sapiens. At that time, there was only one species of hominin living in Spain that could have made this art — not humans, who arrived 40,000 years ago, but the Neanderthals.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    ~64,000 to 60,000 year old Neanderthal cave art found

Source: https://www.inverse.com/article/41551-neanderthal-cave-art-archeology-human

Groundbreaking research published Thursday in Science throws a wrench into all that. In the paper, an international team of scientists, discovering that cave paintings in three sites across Spain are collectively between 64,000 and 66,000 years old, report that there’s no way those cave paintings could have been made by early Homo sapiens. At that time, there was only one species of hominin living in Spain that could have made this art — not humans, who arrived 40,000 years ago, but the Neanderthals.

© Copyright Original Source

You call that art?

Also the date is controversial.

Comment

Originally posted by element771 View Post
      You call that art?
      Have you seen some most of the stuff being made today (or for several decades) that is called art
      Last edited by rogue06; 02-26-2018, 06:13 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Have you seen some most of the stuff being made today (or for several decades) that is called art
        That's affirm.

I still think it is a real stretch to say that it is art.

Comment

You call that art?
          Picasso would.

Also the date is controversial.
          Document how controversial. After reviewing the publication and data I do not believe any scientists find this method controversial.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-01-2018, 09:47 AM.
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Picasso would.
            Its sort of a hashtag.

After reviewing the publication and data I do not believe any scientists find this method controversial.
            Yes because scientists typically communicate that there method is controversial in their own paper.

Comment

Its sort of a hashtag.

Yes because scientists typically communicate that there method is controversial in their own paper.
              Actually I've read papers where the researchers note that the methods used weren't completely satisfactory and say that they plan to continue their analysis and what they're going to do next.

In any case it would still be a good idea for you to explain why you think it is controversial

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Actually I've read papers where the researchers note that the methods used weren't completely satisfactory and say that they plan to continue their analysis and what they're going to do next.

In any case it would still be a good idea for you to explain why you think it is controversial
                In the past part of the line between human and other related species and sub-species was the ability graphically represent and communicate their ideas, ie art work. If these are Neanderthal graphic illustrations this would blur the line of our species with our ancestors and other related sub-species and species.

I share this view that lines between related species and sub-species is not as clear as some would think. I believe the process of evolution is more a continuum over time and place and not specific species somehow evolve to one or more species.

Frank

Comment