Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The good old days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The good old days

Cow Poke was talking about the "good old days" in another thread and it reminded me of this old movie I was watching the other day.

It is a bit of a propaganda film put out in 1939 about the future! It is obviously pro-captitalist/anti-communist throughout

But what is show is that they were worrying about the very same things as we do today.

The main theme of the movie seems to be is all this automation stuff going to take away our jobs? Will be be put out of work by automatic looms and robots?

I got a real kick out of watching it. It has a lot of stereotypes in it, being what it is. It is a white family with a black maid for instance. So don't go off on tangents about racism, but I would like to see a discussion about how no matter how things have changed, they have remained pretty much the same. Automation didn't destroy the economy in 1939, in fact it was a boom time and the more automation the more jobs. It took them out of the depression.

You don't have to watch the whole thing but I suggest watching the first 15 minutes and then skipping around a bit at least. Don't bother commenting if you don't at least do that.

I didn't do that, so I'm not commenting.

yet
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

it was ww2 that took them out of the depression. automation has been around long before that and has destroyed plenty of jobs. Many of the new jobs that propped up in its wake are the product of cultural changes and the jobs themselves are an unproductive net drain (IE: most HR departments).
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Cow Poke was talking about the "good old days" in another thread and it reminded me of this old movie I was watching the other day.

It is a bit of a propaganda film put out in 1939 about the future! It is obviously pro-captitalist/anti-communist throughout

But what is show is that they were worrying about the very same things as we do today.

The main theme of the movie seems to be is all this automation stuff going to take away our jobs? Will be be put out of work by automatic looms and robots?

I got a real kick out of watching it. It has a lot of stereotypes in it, being what it is. It is a white family with a black maid for instance. So don't go off on tangents about racism, but I would like to see a discussion about how no matter how things have changed, they have remained pretty much the same. Automation didn't destroy the economy in 1939, in fact it was a boom time and the more automation the more jobs. It took them out of the depression.

You don't have to watch the whole thing but I suggest watching the first 15 minutes and then skipping around a bit at least. Don't bother commenting if you don't at least do that.
        IIRC Plato was griping about "kids today"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          IIRC Plato was griping about "kids today"
          To mossy?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
            it was ww2 that took them out of the depression. automation has been around long before that and has destroyed plenty of jobs.
            Look at the complaints of the Luddites or the rural equivalents, the Swing riots

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              To mossy?

Et tu, CP?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

To mossy?

Mossy saw the Greeks as a bunch of brash upstarts.

Now the Chaldean OTOH...

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  Et tu, CP?
                  A momentary lapse of judgment from hanging with the wrong crowd.

Comment

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Big meany.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        Big meany.

You love it!

Comment

This is about me isn't it? smiley dejected.gif

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            This is about me isn't it? [ATTACH=CONFIG]26659[/ATTACH]
                            Perhaps I should have said person, not crowd.

Comment

"You know the good ole days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems."
                              -Billy Joel
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment