"How are you doing?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    When somebody asks me how I'm doing, I usually respond "I'm doing so good it hurts!" They usually just say "ouch", and walk away in wonder.
    Or I say, "better than I deserve..." Kind of the whole thing in a nutshell...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      How are you doing under there?
      That's what I say when somebody answers "oh, pretty good under the circumstances"
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
        I would be tempted to answer "How am I doing what?"
        I usually say something like "in spite of all expectations, including my own, I'm still alive."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          That's why, in Texas, we just say "howdy". Even though it's supposedly a contraction for "how do you do", it's understood that we really don't give a flyin' flip about getting an answer.

Howdy!
          What is "Hey, howdy, hey" a contraction for?
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            I got nothing.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              It's short for:

"Hey, how are you doing?" (then, when they don't answer for reasons cited in this thread) "Hey!"
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                It's short for:

"Hey, how are you doing?" (then, when they don't answer for reasons cited in this thread) "Hey!"
                huh. I thought it was the standard Sumo greeting.

Comment

OK, so Wednesdays at Noon, we have lunch for the students at the student center at our local junior college. I, along with a couple other local pastors, try to be there each Wednesday at noon.

There's a young African-American lady who has come a couple times before, but kinda looked sad.

I said Howdy to her, and she said "hey".

I asked her "how ya doin?" and she paused, then said "I'm OK"

The rest of the students and faculty were getting their meals, so I sat down next to her and said, gently but probing, "No, you're not OK, there's something going on here...."

She started crying, and told me she had a big fight with her mom this morning on the phone, and called her mother "the B word". She really started sobbing when she said that.

I said, "look, I can tell you really love your mom, what's this all about?"

One of the ladies from my Church works for a local pregnancy center, and is always at these lunches, so I gave her the "hey, come over here" look, and Carol came over and suggested we step into the next room, which was empty. (See the Billy Graham rule at work here? )

Long story short, Tamika had decided she didn't need to live like a Christian anymore, and her and her mom had been fighting about that, her mom insisting she "stay with her roots", and Tamika saying "I'm a big girl and I can make my own choices".

Part of the problem was sexual choices, which was right up Carol's ally, so I excused myself so they could "talk girl".

We serve the meal on these Wednesdays, then a brief Bible Study or Devotional, then the students go to class. As the guest speaker was wrapping up his devotional on 'being a missionary wherever you are', Carol and Tamika came out of the other room, and Carol announced "Tamika has something she'd like to share". All eyes on Tamika.

Tamika: "I've been fighting with God, and with my Mom, cause I didn't think I needed to live like her, but today I prayed and asked Jesus into my heart, and to help me be the young lady my mom would be proud of." There was some applause, laughter, amens... Then Tamika got her phone out, and said "I need to call my Momma".

All from "Howdy".

Comment