Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How Shall We Do Local Chuch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
    In this post

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ll=1#post45560 you listed 3 kinds of governing documents. You didn't mention the contract with the pastor. I wonder why. Another reason is, I was curious.
    Ah! I didn't list a "contract with the Pastor" because, in my personal experience, I have never had to deal with that.

The Bylaws and/or the Policies & Procedures line out what is expected -- how to call a Pastor, what his duties and responsibilities are, compensation package, termination, etc.

The only time I've seen this as a separate document would be in the case of an "intentional interim". Where the Church is without a Pastor, but is not yet ready to call the next permanent Pastor. Perhaps the previous Pastor was a bad experience, so they need some time before another Pastor. In that case, there will often be an "intentional interim" --- a Pastor (bivocational or retired) who will "fill in" for an agreed upon definite time period, and who, by contract, will NOT seek, or be considered for, the position as Permanent Pastor.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
      King's Gambit, maybe change "chuch" to "church" in the thread title?? And after fixing the spelling, maybe delete this post??
      I hereby pledge to no longer post when tired or rushed .

Bad things happen.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
        I hereby pledge to no longer post when tired or rushed .

Bad things happen.
        Meh... I went through a period when EVERY THREAD I STARTED had a misspelling in the title.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Meh... I went through a period when EVERY THREAD I STARTED had a misspelling in the title.
          I got to point out nearly every one

Good times.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I got to point out nearly every one

Good times.
            What's a brother for?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              What's a brother for?

May you have a blessed Easter.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

May you have a blessed Easter.
                He is RISEN, indeed!

Comment

Amen.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

CHRIST IS RISEN and gives HOPE to the Hopeless!

Comment

If they only trust Him.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Yeah.

Comment

Take 2.

Laying aside our legal documents, let us strive after God as individuals and community.

I wish I could frame my question the right way. So please bear with me as this is going to be more stream of thought. It seems to me that we need to close the gap between leadership and members. It seems to me that too many places the leadership doesn't know their members and the members don't trust the leadership. Have we lost the sense of being a community?

One feature of the early church is how much they cared one for another and how outsiders perceive it. And it still exists in some places. My mom was telling me some stories of what her local church does for its members. I'd join in a moment but its a 5 hour drive to church every Sunday. Is it a city thing? Is it living a more liberal part of the world where the outsider gets more attention than the member? It just seems to me that members are most expendable thing around here. Have we forgotten how to be a we and not a bunch of I's who happen to worship at the same time and place?

Is it partially we need a change in emphasis like Pope Francis is doing? Despite some media claims to the contrary, he hasn't changed single doctrine yet but suddenly the RCC looks more attractive. Is that our issue - we emphasis the following God's law rather than His love? Its been since I've really seen a loving community that is still intent on obeying God. I've gotten on or the other but not both.

Maybe we've forgotten to put God first. We'll open in prayer and then talk about the things of man for the rest of the time. We say God centered but don't practice it. We find ways to hear the Word of God but excuse ourselves from following it.

Is it the discarding of sin from our doctrines? We expect each other to be so perfect that we don't admit our failures and condemn others when they fail. So our relationships are built on a false basis of a lie of who I am and who you are. I know some people say that they are new creation in Christ, but I'm an old sinner saved by grace. I want mercy when I fail and I want to learn to show mercy.

I don't know...so I'll be quiet now and let you talk.
                          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Three days later and no response to my previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                              Take 2.

Laying aside our legal documents, let us strive after God as individuals and community.

I wish I could frame my question the right way. So please bear with me as this is going to be more stream of thought. It seems to me that we need to close the gap between leadership and members. It seems to me that too many places the leadership doesn't know their members and the members don't trust the leadership. Have we lost the sense of being a community?

One feature of the early church is how much they cared one for another and how outsiders perceive it. And it still exists in some places. My mom was telling me some stories of what her local church does for its members. I'd join in a moment but its a 5 hour drive to church every Sunday. Is it a city thing? Is it living a more liberal part of the world where the outsider gets more attention than the member? It just seems to me that members are most expendable thing around here. Have we forgotten how to be a we and not a bunch of I's who happen to worship at the same time and place?

Is it partially we need a change in emphasis like Pope Francis is doing? Despite some media claims to the contrary, he hasn't changed single doctrine yet but suddenly the RCC looks more attractive. Is that our issue - we emphasis the following God's law rather than His love? Its been since I've really seen a loving community that is still intent on obeying God. I've gotten on or the other but not both.

Maybe we've forgotten to put God first. We'll open in prayer and then talk about the things of man for the rest of the time. We say God centered but don't practice it. We find ways to hear the Word of God but excuse ourselves from following it.

Is it the discarding of sin from our doctrines? We expect each other to be so perfect that we don't admit our failures and condemn others when they fail. So our relationships are built on a false basis of a lie of who I am and who you are. I know some people say that they are new creation in Christ, but I'm an old sinner saved by grace. I want mercy when I fail and I want to learn to show mercy.

I don't know...so I'll be quiet now and let you talk.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X